• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Remember when ...

Laruuk

First Post
Remember when 3E came out?

I do.

There were a lot of complaints when 3E was announced. Some of them are being repeated with 4E.

My favorite is "WotC is just trying to make money" (no kidding!).

What is your favorite 3E complaint that is making the rounds now in regards to 4E?

Cyronax

Explorer
Steely Dan said:
It's no longer D&D…

I've been hearing that one since 1986.

My big complaint: Greyhawk is the default setting for D&D?!

...oh wait, that was a strength. It was a clear sign that WotC had listened to a segment of their fan base. I was even fine with WotC's decision to only minimally support GH, since I could see the market realities for supporting FR more heavily.

Come to think of it, I had nothing but hope for 3e.

I am starting to feel that way about 4e as well, but I definitely am leery of thing like a 1st level character being called a 'warlord.' Simple fix .... you're now a marshal or an officer.

But more seriously, I worry about their plans for the wizard. My current campaign world is built around a vibrant city ruled by the Seven Schools of Magic (minus the eighth school Necromancy).

C.I.D.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
The only one we're not seeing is 'They're going to turn D&D into Magic: The Gathering/Pokemon!'. That's been replaced by 'They're making D&D into a video game!'.

EricNoah

Adventurer
It is both funny and sad that all edition transitions have had so many of the same arguments. Some of them are valid reasons for not switching (I have a lot of stuff for edition X, no need to switch to edition X+1; or I'm still having fun with edition X, no need to switch to edition X+1). Some of them don't seem so valid and some sound like paranoid fantasies.

Cadfan

First Post
"It feels like WOTC doesn't love me anymore."

"I feel that the following rule which is not being altered for 4e is evidence that 4e is for dumber people than 3e."

"I loath all proper nouns."

Ooh, and "My homebrew campaign setting features a fiendishly complex cosmology based entirely on the number of letters in each class name in the Player's Handbook. 4e is adding new classes to the Player's Handbook, and dropping the druid. This is absolutely unacceptable, renders my campaign unplayable in 4e, and constitutes firing me as a player."

Last edited:

PeelSeel2

Explorer
WayneLigon said:
The only one we're not seeing is 'They're going to turn D&D into Magic: The Gathering/Pokemon!'.

What a brilliant idea!! They could fuse that with their online system, put cards out for classes, items, monsters, etc. You can't play them until you actually get the card and activate it online! They wouldn't need to put out the PHB, DMG, or MM. Just come out with 'collectible' cards. Collect them all and have the full set of rules. Rares include concise and vibrant wording for the new AoO's, Warlord Epic powers cards, etc. w$$t!! New sets include optional or fixed rules, new monsters and items!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads