• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Removing the Once per Wedding Limit on Solemnization in Weddings in 5e

Crazy Jerome

First Post
Yes, but are civil bonds plus magic rings equal to divine bonds plus magic rings? 'Cause historically D&D has favored divine bonds and I'd like to see the options balanced -- the last thing we need are more over-powered clerics.

I'm only guessing, but I bet this is where specialty priests come in. A paladin of Sune probably gets more oomph than, say, a high priest of old whatizname, that demon-god of the gnolls.

I'm only guessing, but I bet this is where specialty priests come in. A paladin of Sune probably gets more oomph than, say, a high priest of old whatizname, that demon-god of the gnolls.

Ya, but it sounds like you're assuming a divine power source again. Unless we use the same rules for both -- if a Notary Public and Priest of Yeenoghu are both equivalent specialty priests then I'm fine with that.

Mattachine

Adventurer
Will the required targets of the solemnization be specified as one male and one female, or simply two creatures? Maybe this is an area for DM rulings, or advice in a sidebar.

Will the required targets of the solemnization be specified as one male and one female, or simply two creatures? Maybe this is an area for DM rulings, or advice in a sidebar.

Why limit it to two? If you do so you eliminate hive minds and swarms from play, and lose the ability to share the benefit across the whole party. And what about oozes? If they split, which half gets the benefit? I'm thinking solemnization benefits should be area-of-effect based, rather than creature-based.

Crazy Jerome

First Post
I didn't see any support for prenuptial agreements, either. Is this DM fiat, hidden somewhere that I couldn't find due to the incomplete index, or perhaps slated for a later supplement?

thedungeondelver

Adventurer
Okay, screw this NDA thing. 5e solemnization is pretty much the best thing in the game. Sure, it makes the cleric a little over-powered, but civil bonds have amazing synergies with magic rings and the paladin vow. I think it's going to work wonderfully.

The best part is how they seamlessly reincorporated the Vows system from 1e right back in. Oh sure the 4e fans will have a fit over it but dammit it just worked and you can't deny it.

Hey, if you can break your NDA then I reckon I'm safe too.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
This mechanic idea for D&D Next isn't too bad, but it does add some complications...and it doesn't take into account other mechanics that will likely be necessary.

Such as De-Solemnization...

Due to the way such mechanics add to power-bloat, I'm expecting that De-Solemnization will eventually be used by well over 50% of Characters that partook of the Solemnization Ritual...making it a necessary evil in the rules.

Because of this necessity, I think De-Solemnization should be an easily accessible, low-level ritual...but have a significantly expensive material component. Probably resulting in the loss of at least 50% of the characters wealth, and possibly on ongoing Feat-Tax (all treasure found is reduced by 25% for maintenance of Ex-Spouse Characters). DM's are also advised to roleplay this process out thoroughly. Especially as to the finding of a suitable Expert in De-Solemnization.

However, IMO, the Solemnization mechanics seem overly implulsive and not well though out. Perhaps a Three-Level waiting period would help limit the overuse of De-Solemnization, though most players would likely feel this is over-nerfing the system.:erm:

;)

Remove ads