• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Removing the Once per Wedding Limit on Solemnization in Weddings in 5e

Arlough

Explorer
If you will recall, in 1e nuptials and marriages were only between NPCs, and for good reason. The amount of equipment hording allowed in 2e from a PC being solemnized to wealthy NPCs repeatedly was a form of twinking before we even had a name for it. Let alone the mess when Skills and Powers allowed PC's to legally wed.
When PCs desolomized, but one had a better lawyer, that PC could sit around home, gain level without even murdering. And, if there were henchmen or minions involved, the PC with the less skilled lawyer would end up with his net level advancement being as little as 1/2 that of any party he joined up with.
So he would have to hop around from low level party to low level party, hoping to save up enough XP to maybe take a proficiency or two at the local community college just to build up his resume enough to be considered for a full dungeon raid.

And, heaven forbid, if you allow two PC's to solemnize each other, you will have calls for D&D to be banned from schools, again!

WheresMyD20

First Post
Okay, screw this NDA thing. 5e solemnization is pretty much the best thing in the game. Sure, it makes the cleric a little over-powered, but civil bonds have amazing synergies with magic rings and the paladin vow. I think it's going to work wonderfully.

Disagree. I mean, how does the whole "Till death do us part" work? If one of the spouses is killed and then later raised from the dead, is the marriage still in effect? How about if the corpse is raised as a zombie or other undead? I think there are too many loopholes and exploits. This is going to be an errata nightmare.

Remove ads