D&D 5E Rename the Monster Manual

Li Shenron

Legend
"Creatures manual" would be fine.

I wouldn't say there is an issue of ethics with the traditional name, but certainly there is an issue of clarity. I have almost always DMed with casual gamers, beginners or children, and I cannot count how many times someone new to D&D asked me "why there are elves or angels in the monster manual, they're nice folks!"

R_J_K75

Legend
Its fine. No need to change the name. PHB, DMG and the MM arent called the core rule books for nothing. Change this and then whats next?

This is not a sarcastic question but honestly is changing the book name "Monster Manual" the best use of anyones resources? Im sure theres more important things in the world that need to be considered first.

Mercurius

Legend
Fair enough.

Care to explain why ? Is it because you feel that the creatures included in the book really are best described as "monsters"? Is it because of tradition?

Because there's absolutely nothing wrong with calling fantasy creatures "monsters." It's a game. It's fantasy. It's language. And it is D&D vernacular: a "monster" is simply a creature that the PCs might encounter (if we want to be technical, "creature" is more accurate).

Here's a quote from the 1E Monster Manual, way back in 1977:

The term "monster" is used throughout this work in two manners. Its first, and most important, meaning is to designate any creature encountered — hostile or otherwise, human, humanoid, or beast. Until the encountering party determines what they have come upon, it is a monster. The secondary usage of the term is in the usual sense: a horrible or wicked creature of some sort. Thus, a "monster" is encountered during the course of a dungeon expedition, and it is discovered to be an evil high priest, who just might turn out to be a monster in the other sense as well. Note, however, that despite this terminology, humans (and such kin as dwarves, elves, gnomes, half-elves, and halfings) always use the matrix for humans when attacking, even if such humans were encountered as "monsters" in the course of an adventure.
After re-reading your OP, I'm fairly certain its satire, but I don't want to spoil the fun. Keep at it, @The Mirrorball Man

This is not a sarcastic question but honestly is changing the book name "Monster Manual" the best use of anyones resources? Im sure theres more important things in the world that need to be considered first.
No reason why you couldn't change that name AND fight climate change at the same time. It's not as if changing that name would prevent you from doing more important things.

Remove ads