D&D 5E Rename the Monster Manual

Because there's absolutely nothing wrong with calling fantasy creatures "monsters." It's a game. It's fantasy. It's language. And it is D&D vernacular: a "monster" is simply a creature that the PCs might encounter (if we want to be technical, "creature" is more accurate).

Here's a quote from the 1E Monster Manual, way back in 1977:

The term "monster" is used throughout this work in two manners. Its first, and most important, meaning is to designate any creature encountered — hostile or otherwise, human, humanoid, or beast. Until the encountering party determines what they have come upon, it is a monster. The secondary usage of the term is in the usual sense: a horrible or wicked creature of some sort. Thus, a "monster" is encountered during the course of a dungeon expedition, and it is discovered to be an evil high priest, who just might turn out to be a monster in the other sense as well. Note, however, that despite this terminology, humans (and such kin as dwarves, elves, gnomes, half-elves, and halfings) always use the matrix for humans when attacking, even if such humans were encountered as "monsters" in the course of an adventure.
Yes, as you point out, calling these creatures "monsters" is an old tradition. In my opinion, though, old traditions sometimes are oppressive, and need to be re-examined objectively from time to time. For example, lots of people feel nowadays that describing Orcs as intrinsically evil creatures is no longer acceptable. Should be just shrug and answer them that "it's just fantasy"?

Mercurius

Legend
Yes, as you point out, calling these creatures "monsters" is an old tradition. In my opinion, though, old traditions sometimes are oppressive, and need to be re-examined objectively from time to time. For example, lots of people feel nowadays that describing Orcs as intrinsically evil creatures is no longer acceptable. Should be just shrug and answer them that "it's just fantasy"?

I don't want to get back into another round of Orcgate. I've said my piece, many times over.

I'll refer you to this, which I edited in after you replied:

After re-reading your OP, I'm fairly certain its satire, but I don't want to spoil the fun. Keep at it, @The Mirrorball Man

Remove ads