D&D 5E Rename the Monster Manual

dmgorgon

Explorer
If we're serious about getting rid of stereotyping and othering in Dungeons & Dragons, I think it's time to act on one of the worst offenders: the Monster Manual.

In my opinion, there's nothing wrong per se about a book which lists opponents and adversaries. But let's call it what it is: a Manual of Opponents. The "monster" epithet is outdated and oppressive. With the exception of predatory animals, theses creatures are called "monsters" because their appearance doesn't conform to arbitrary humanocentric standards of beauty, they are called "monsters" because their social and cultural values are deemed "primitive", they are called "monsters" because they don't belong to the same "camp" as the player characters. These are outdated ideas which should simply not exist in the 21st century. Honestly, as it is the book might as well be called the "Othering Manual".

I'd rather have a "Cultures Manual" which details and celebrates the diversity of cultures and heritage of all the different D&D species. And if we really want to have a book called the "Monster Manual", maybe Wizards could release a book about racism, bigotry, sexism and homophobia in D&D.

yes, we need to burn those MM too. I'll start the fire.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases