D&D 1E Replacement for weapon specialization?

Sacrosanct

Legend
Current weapon spec rules in AD&D are +1/+2, then +3/+3 IIRC, but the values are pretty moot and not the point, the mechanic is.

Instead of granting flat bonuses, what are your thoughts on:

Option A:
First step of weapon spec is the ability to reroll 1s. Advanced weapon spec is reroll 1s and 2s

Option B:
Increase the weapon die type. Weapons that do 1d4 damage go to 1d6, 1d6 goes to 1d8, 2d4 goes to 2d6, etc etc

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Current weapon spec rules in AD&D are +1/+2, then +3/+3 IIRC, but the values are pretty moot and not the point, the mechanic is.

Option A:
First step of weapon spec is the ability to reroll 1s. Advanced weapon spec is reroll 1s and 2s

Option B:
Increase the weapon die type. Weapons that do 1d4 damage go to 1d6, 1d6 goes to 1d8, 2d4 goes to 2d6, etc etc

Don't forget the big kicker in AD&D weapon specialization - the increased rate of attacks. Are you removing that element?

And as far as your suggestions go - what's the reasoning behind them? Do you think the +1/+2 is too much?

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Option B:

I love it!

Two-handed sword: d12, 3d8 (!!!).

Awl Pike ... d8, d20 ..... awl snap!

(Last one for the joke; also the long sword!)

Sacrosanct

Legend
Don't forget the big kicker in AD&D weapon specialization - the increased rate of attacks. Are you removing that element?

And as far as your suggestions go - what's the reasoning behind them? Do you think the +1/+2 is too much?

No, multiple attacks I'm keeping but making it a flat level based figure. I'm just trying to figure out a way to keep numbers bloat down as low as possible. Between ability scores, magic weapons, etc, there are already plenty of modifiers. I'm just trying to keep those down to a minimum

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I always assumed the Fighting Styles were this edition's 'weapon specialization'. Yeah, it's not a single weapon, but it is a single class of weapons that you can do better with than anybody else. And this way you don't have to be beholden to a single specific weapon that DMs have to account for when it comes to magic items and the like.

paladinn

Explorer
I always assumed the Fighting Styles were this edition's 'weapon specialization'. Yeah, it's not a single weapon, but it is a single class of weapons that you can do better with than anybody else. And this way you don't have to be beholden to a single specific weapon that DMs have to account for when it comes to magic items and the like.
Fighting styles aren't quite equivalent to WS. In 5e, they are Very reluctant to give attach bonuses. Archery is the only style that grants one. You get other benes, but 5e is tightly designed for "bounded accuracy". I've been told that trying to grant a simple +1 to hit will violate it.

WS and BECMI's Weapon Mastery both grant attack bonuses. Personally I'd Love to adapt something to 5E if it wouldn't result in catastrophe.

Option A:

Option B:

There is also the extra attacks per round, and the ability of archers to fire an opening volley 'when initiative is rolled'.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
We did away with the +3/+3 part as it's kind of overkill. The best you can get for a melee weapon in our games is +1/+2, with an increased rate of attack as you gain levels.

We also have the specialization bonuses kick in bit by bit:

1st level: +1/+0
2nd level: +1/+1
3rd level: +1/+2
4th level: attacks become 3/2
7th level: attacks become 2/1 (when all your other attacks become 3/2)
10th level: attacks become 5/2

Missile weapons follow a similar progression, but (of course) a bit messier because everything to do with missile weapons is messy. :)

I've never had a PC get beyond 12th thus I've not had to worry much beyond that. :)

Remove ads