Replacing Druids healing spells

Darklone

druid healing

Uh ... That's really tough. First I would like to know why you wanna do it?

Druids are already a little underpowered compared to clerics ... If you take healing away ... well they can still heal themselves with other spells...

What you could add... More summon animal spells. Better summon animals. Or longer spells. More control about summoned animals ...

JRRNeiklot

First Post
Well, I play a druid in one campaign, and I try not to prepare healing spells so I can concentrate on being more of a force of nature, but this usually ends up in an argument with the other players. I never complain because the fighter reduses to heal me! So, in my campaign, I thought I'd come up with an alternate druid - sort of give him something else (I have no idea what) in exchange for access to healing spells. I will also allow the standard druid, of course. Just wanted another option for those who feel railroaded into being the party healer even though they aren't a cleric and don't benefit from spontaneous healing spells.

Any ideas?

CuriousBard

First Post
What about giving Druids a form of Turning (like Clerics vs Undead), but the Druid can choose from a list like Magical Beast, Abberations, etc. Then they can try to Turn such creatures.

Just a quick thought.

Acmite

First Post
Magical beast might be too powerful a turning option, but I like the idea of Aberrations. Makes sense that they would be able to rebuke unnatural creatures (that aren't undead).

Another option would be turning abilities like those granted by the elemental domains (Turn Air/Water/etc creatures).

The first 3e game I played in, I played a Druid and since I was the only class capable of healing, the DM allowed me to spontaneously cast cure spells like a cleric. It didn't upset the balance at all. YMMV, of course.

Of course, Wands of Cure Light Wounds are only 750 gp......

JRRNeiklot

First Post
Turning is not quite what I'm looking for. If I just replaced the healing spells with others, what would be appropriate? Obviously not fireball type spells, but what spells would be balanced?

Crothian

First Post
What about the animal and Plant Doamins? Give them the domain powers and allow them to spontaneously cast spells of these domains? THis gives the Druid a little more strength (which I think is good in this case). Removing Healing is a big removal, so I'm trying to error on the side of powerful in this instance.

Or instead of spontaneous casting of domain spells, give them an extra spell cast of each level that has to be a domain spell like the cleric.

fba827

Adventurer
Hmm, some thoughts (some are obviously stronger than the others) ...

In exchange for dropping Conjuration (Healing) spells, this druid-varient can ...

Option 1:
spontaneous cast a number of spells/levels as equal to bonus spells for high Wisdom. (ie if he has 0/1/1 bonus slots from Wisdom, he can leave one first and one second level slots open for spontaneous casting).

Option 2:
Offer a bonus feats - pick certain levels and allow a bonus feat at the chosen levels (ie druid level 5, 10, 15, and 20) - i'd highly recommend, however, you do not have a bonus feat at 1st level.

Option 3:
Add skills to the class skill list (ie make Spot or Listen a class skill for this varient)

Option 4:
Increase skill ranks per level to 6+Int mod (rather than 4+Int mod)

Option 5:
Increase hit dice from 8 to 10

Option 6:
Give fast movement like a barbarian in light armor

Option 7:
Make Dispel Magic spells one level lower (ie 2nd rather than 3rd) etc

Option 8:
Change their allowed weapons or proficiencies

Option 9:
Allow 1.5 times the standard maximum HD for animal companions

Option 10:

... hmm, I have to stop myself now. :)
Like I said, some of the above are, obviously, more powerful than the other ideas before I still listed them to help get the brain juices flowing :)

I guess it comes down to two questions:
a) how much value do you and your players put on the druid's ability to heal
b) if this druid-varient does not excel at healing, what do they excel at? Diplomacy? Summoning?

Perhaps if you determined this druid-varient's origins, you'll determine the answer. Ie. The ferals are similiar to druids but in fact practice their belief's quit differently. Their divine connection does not allow then the capability to conjure life blood to heal wounds but instead they have learned to ...
(inflict wounds? be more careful in their diplomatic words so as to avoid getting injured in the first place? etc ...)

I'm tired and rambling. I will shut up now :)

Darklone

Another prop

Give them spontaneous casting of all spells on their list. Except the healing ones. That surely is a crack.

Remove ads