• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Replacing the Encounter Power

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
As a guy who grew up on cartoons (and wrestling) where characters that did their signature mover only once a fight but in every fight, I have no real problem with encounter powers.

But they are so artificial as straight encounter abilities.

There are many way to do them though.

Dice based recharging
Time based cooldown
Street Fighter Super Arts bars (My personal favorite system... Shoryu Cannon!)
Encounter powers with specific use and recharge triggers
Power points

AlioTheFool

First Post
Personally, I have always felt rather than have "Encounter Powers" we should have "Times per Encounter" a group of abilities can be used.

You should pick an ability in the "Encounter Power" slot at the same level intervals. You then gain the ability to use those encounter powers as many times as your level allows. For example, your level 7 Warlock can cast her "Eldrich Rain" spell 3 times per encounter if she so chooses.

The ability lists should be shortened under this system as well. Perhaps even being build-based. This would make the lists far more manageable and easy to balance, since I would argue that each ability's damage should scale based on level. Perhaps multiply your damage dice by your level? (Obviously monster defenses/attacks would need to be balanced against this paradigm rather than they are in 4E now.)

It always seemed silly that your fighter could execute an attack he's practiced for years just once per fight. In sports or combat training, the entire point of repetitious practice is to be able to execute those maneuvers at-will when in the heat of the action.

Obviously this wouldn't allow for completely at-will ability use, but it would allow you to use abilities you have that are specifically catered to the encounter you're currently facing. Why wouldn't a Wizard fireball a treant repeatedly while his dwarf buddy hacks away with his axe at its buddy with all of her might?

Remove ads