• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Replacing the human "+1 all" bonus...

I like keeping things simple. No ability bonuses, just one feat at 1st level.

If that's underpowered, take Jester Canuck's suggestion and give them a bonus skill and bonus save proficiency too.

EDIT: FWIW, I don't have a problem with "+1 to all" as long as other races are getting a +2 to something.

Ashkelon

First Post
That still makes them way better at everything than anyone else. A +1 proficiency bonus is roughly equal to +2 to your main stat, which is also supposed to be the value of a feat. This layout would give each other race a +2 to one pre-selected stat, and give humans the equivalent of +4 to whichever stat they felt like - except it also allows them to break the effective cap of 20, since proficiency isn't technically the same number.

That is what I thought at first, but then I ran the numbers. You may get a +1 bonus to attacks, saves, and skills you are proficient with, but you lack the benefit of everything else that comes fom a high ability score. You don't get +1 damage, bonus AC, carrying capacity, initiative, bonus spells prepared, bonus languages, and higher ability score to qualify for feats/multi-classing. On top of that, you have to spend a feat/ability boost to ever reach the level where you outshine a race that gets a +2 to their prime ability. If you actually take a moment to think about it, increasing your proficiency bonus is not overpowered at all.

MechaPilot

Explorer
This is how I would handle humans, and how I probably will if they remain as they are in the 09/19/13 playtest packet (which is the last one that I have):

First, I would keep humans as they are. Then, I would add that they could trade four of their +1s for three customization points that they can spend on abilities from the following list (I am open to adding other interesting items to the list):

1. Proficiency with a skill
  2. Expertise with a skill that you are proficient with
  3. Advantage with a skill
  4. Proficiency with a saving throw
  5. A feat (costs two +1s)
  6. The "Empty Inside" racial ability (costs two +1s)

Empty Inside (Human Racial Trait)
Humans, as a race, are empty inside, as if their souls are incomplete. Every human seeks something to fill the inescapable void within them. For some, this is family and friends, for others it's power, wealth, prestige, religion, or a littany of vices a mile long. This emptiness drives humanity, focuses them, and turns their empty souls into fortresses of resolve. Once per short rest, Humans have the ability to cancel all disadvantage they face, or all the advantages of a single opponent attacking them.

Quickleaf

Legend
I like keeping things simple. No ability bonuses, just one feat at 1st level.

If that's underpowered, take Jester Canuck's suggestion and give them a bonus skill and bonus save proficiency too.

EDIT: FWIW, I don't have a problem with "+1 to all" as long as other races are getting a +2 to something.

I like this approach. No ability bonuses, a bonus feat, and a bonus proficiency of choice (skill, save, tool, weapon, or armor).

On top of that, you have to spend a feat/ability boost to ever reach the level where you outshine a race that gets a +2 to their prime ability. If you actually take a moment to think about it, increasing your proficiency bonus is not overpowered at all.
Right, it's not too terrible to compare +1 proficiency against +2 to a stat, especially given that most people will choose a race that gives a bonus to their prime stat.

It's just the +1 proficiency together with the bonus feat that is way more powerful. Even if you couldn't trade this feat for an immediate +2 to a stat of your choice, it would put you right back ahead of the game as soon as you reached the first level that gave you a feat, when you could take a boost instead of the feats that anyone else would take.

Even if they had a +1 proficiency bonus instead of any stat bonuses (or feats), it would still mean that humans have the most long-term potential of any race, once everyone eventually caps out at 20 in the prime stat. Your chance to hit (or the save DC of your spells) is just that much more important than everything else. (Personally, I would solve that by varying the racial cap to account for starting bonuses - humans get no stat bonuses, and the cap for any stat is equal to 18 + racial bonuses)>

Remove ads