• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Replacing the human "+1 all" bonus...

So, obviously, here is what they actually did:

Variant Human Traits
If your campaign uses the optional feat rules from the Player’s Handbook, your Dungeon Master might allow these variant traits, all of which replace the human’s Ability Score Increase trait.
Ability Score Increase. Two different ability scores of your choice increase by 1.
Skills. You gain proficiency in one skill of your choice.
Feat. You gain one feat of your choice

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
So, obviously, here is what they actually did:

Variant Human Traits
If your campaign uses the optional feat rules from the Player’s Handbook, your Dungeon Master might allow these variant traits, all of which replace the human’s Ability Score Increase trait.
Ability Score Increase. Two different ability scores of your choice increase by 1.
Skills. You gain proficiency in one skill of your choice.
Feat. You gain one feat of your choice

Yes -- close to what I guessed, but with a free trained skill, which makes it nearly irresistible i'd say.

Given the feat equivalence to a +2, I also expect people will want to trade the feat in, essentially allowing humans a +3/+1 and a skill. I'm not sure what I think of this, but in lieu of other racial benefits, and given that many players will have a 20 by level 8 anyways, I doubt that it's broken.

Tormyr

Hero
Yes -- close to what I guessed, but with a free trained skill, which makes it nearly irresistible i'd say.

Given the feat equivalence to a +2, I also expect people will want to trade the feat in, essentially allowing humans a +3/+1 and a skill. I'm not sure what I think of this, but in lieu of other racial benefits, and given that many players will have a 20 by level 8 anyways, I doubt that it's broken.
+3/+1 seems a bit broken. No race gets +3, and humans never get more than +1 to any attribute. If someone simply had to trade in their feat for +2 ability score, I could see +1 in 4 attributes as fair.

Paraxis

Explorer
You can trade an ability score increase for a feat, but they never said you could trade a feat in for a ability score increase.

So I don't think humans will be able to start with a +3/+1.

the Jester

Legend

That's a big fat "Hell no" from me.

Remove ads