• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reports and News from D&D XP

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Given the vast quantity of great 1E adventures, I surely hope that they consider further Oerth-based Expedition supermodules before giving us, say, Expedition to the Rock of Braal. (Sorry, Spacejammers.) Expedition to the Aerie of the Slave Lords, Expedition to the Vault of the Drow, Expedition to the Hall of the Fire Giant King, Expedition to the Desert of Desolation, the list goes on and on.

Well, unfortunately: it doesn't! :) There aren't actually all that many classic adventures.

Desert of Desolation is non-setting (originally) and Forgotten Realms (later).

We're getting a return to the Vault of the Drow in "Drow of the Underdark", btw.

Cheers!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I respectfully disagree. :)

1E modules that I think can be called classic and could reasonably be called Greyhawk material in the Expedition:

A 1-4, C1, D 1-3, EX 1-2, G 1-3, I1, L1, Q1, S1, S2, S3, S4, WG4

I also think that the Desert of Desolation being retconned into the Forgotten Realms matters as much as B2 being retconned into Greyhawk. These Expeditions are a fresh start -- witness Ravenloft's severing of ties to previous continuities and locations -- and I suspect the nostalgiac sorts whom they'd put in charge of writing the updates would be very likely to have a fondness for the original modules, not the latter adaptations.

Still, even if you put aside the Desert of Desolation, that's 21 Greyhawk modules that could get the Expedition treatment. (I include Q1 because it'll be a very different sort of product, and I include D3 because Drow of the Underdark is a sourcebook, not a module, and a map and a few pages of location information does not a supermodule make.) There's a lot of classic adventures that could get updated. Only Mystara and the Forgotten Realms come close.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
I respectfully disagree. :)

1E modules that I think can be called classic and could reasonably be called Greyhawk material in the Expedition:

A 1-4, C1, D 1-3, EX 1-2, G 1-3, I1, L1, Q1, S1, S2, S3, S4, WG4.

Yeah, well - I don't see that as a lot. :)

I sort of count that as 13 adventures that could get the update. (I doubt G1, G2, G3 would each get separate updates, ditto A1-4 and EX1-2).

I'd really like to see the S series and WG4 get the updates; I think EX1-2 and L1 are very borderline.

Cheers!

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
James Jacobs said:
Yay! I helped write a "feeler" project!
Great... now I have to buy multiple copies of it in the hope that I can convince WotC to publish some more GH stuff... :lol:

Last edited:

James Jacobs

Adventurer
Well... technically, since Bigfoot Country is cryptid-friendly, there's a good chance that Mothman's hanging out there too. He's got feelers, yeah? On his head?

Huzzah for feelers!

(And yes, there are at least a few monsters with feelers in "Expedition" as well, so technically, I suppose this post is still on topic?)

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
The fun thing about this is that if we don't see more GH products, we can blame James for his misdesign of an ant. :)

Cheers!

Razz

Banned
Banned
theredrobedwizard said:
All I can say is: Finally, someone told the Greyhawkophiles to "deal with it". Same answer that White Wolf gave the Mummy fans back when nWoD came out.

Also, thanks for the heads up, Merric.

-TRRW

Likewise. I personally don't find Greyhawk all that appealing, really. Seems way too bland for my tastes. The Forgotten Realms and it's expansion sets, Eberron, Dark Sun, Planescape, and Ravenloft are all both unique and truly rich in all its aspects. I think if maybe the Greyhawk fans actually tried FR or Eberron for awhile, then they might understand why the fanbase is bigger.

Heck, I can sum up a wonderful summary for the given examples, but ask me what I know on Greyhawk and as much as I have gleaned from it, all I can come up with everytime is,"Uhh...Circle of Eight...Mordenkainen and all the named spellcasters in the PHB...Castle Greyhawk...and that's it!"

:p

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads