• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reports and News from D&D XP

James Jacobs

Adventurer
MerricB said:
The fun thing about this is that if we don't see more GH products, we can blame James for his misdesign of an ant. :)

Cheers!

That ant was asking for it!

And as for Greyhawk vs. Forgotten Realms vs. Eberron... there's room for all three! Can't we all just play nice? <cries>

takasi

First Post
James Jacobs said:
And as for Greyhawk vs. Forgotten Realms vs. Eberron... there's room for all three!

YAAAH! FLAMING AVOCADOES OF DOOM! RUN AWAY!

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

(Moderator's Notes: In that case, neither could I. Next time, resist.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Razz

Banned
Banned
Hey James, if you can convince the guys at Dragon (whom I know you see now and then probably) to do a web enhancement for Dragon #354 for the rest of the modrons, I'll guarantee a sale for me on Castle Greyhawk. ;)

Tell Erik Mona I'll be a slave if I must to see the modron race as a whole. Unified as an extraplanar race of alien constructs should be. :D

James Jacobs

Adventurer
Razz said:
Hey James, if you can convince the guys at Dragon (whom I know you see now and then probably) to do a web enhancement for Dragon #354 for the rest of the modrons, I'll guarantee a sale for me on Castle Greyhawk. ;)

Tell Erik Mona I'll be a slave if I must to see the modron race as a whole. Unified as an extraplanar race of alien constructs should be. :D

I'll see what I can do, but... what does Erik getting yet another slave do for me?

We did one more modron in Dungeon #144, so I guess that's a start.

Vocenoctum

First Post
thatdarnedbob said:
Are you kidding? Dungeon's habit of taking Greyhawk material and doing well commercially with it is a great example of dealing with it. The phrase doesn't only mean "stop whining."
Not sure if it's clear or not, but I believe Takasi was refering to Dungeon's clinging to Greyhawk instead of feeding the Eberron fans.

I'm a GH fan, and an Eberron fan. I like most of the Eberron products and would love for a series of 2-3 books to bring Greyhawk some needed love. In spite of that, Expedition to Greyhawk will be a "read through first" rather than a Must Buy, simply because the castle has never really been that important to Greyhawk for me. :)

I think there's a lot of potential in the Theocracy of the Pale, and other themed nations of GH, plus all the Orders, Faiths, etc. As the "Core" religion for D&D, the gods should get more play in official channels.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I'm a Greyhawk fan. I love the setting.

That said, I think that Wizards is generally doing the right thing by the setting: letting Living Greyhawk provide the dynamic setting, and letting Paizo slip "greyhawkisms" into otherwise generic D&D adventures.

Cheers!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Razz said:
Heck, I can sum up a wonderful summary for the given examples, but ask me what I know on Greyhawk and as much as I have gleaned from it, all I can come up with everytime is,"Uhh...Circle of Eight...Mordenkainen and all the named spellcasters in the PHB...Castle Greyhawk...and that's it!"

:p
That's really a 2Eism, IMO. A lot of the stuff that you like in D&D was previously hanging around in the World of Greyhawk, making fun of the way valley elves talk, when Ed Greenwood, Rich Baker and others showed up in the middle of the night, threw bags over the cool stuff's heads and dragged them off, kicking and screaming. (Rich Baker kidnapped the smaller things, since he was 4 years old at the time.)

Pre-cheese drow? Check. Pre-cheese Vecna? Check. Pre-Merric Desert of Desolation? Check. The Tomb of Horrors? Check.

It would be very possible to have an Expedition updating a great 1E module, making it true to Greyhawk, and not having a named wizard anywhere near it (probably by having it be neutral enough as-is, so they could content themselves with beating up Cub Scouts to shift the balance outside PS42 toward Neutrality and away from Goodness).

The Wild Coast and Pomarj, the setting of the Slavers modules, other than having the water on the right, rather than the left, could be dropped into the Forgotten Realms without a ripple. The DM would just have to pass out coupons redeemable at Mulhorandi Baskin-Robbins stores to all the NPCs, and suddenly it all fits very plausibly into the Realms. (Heck, it makes the sudden appearance of drow wandering through the series seem sort of appropriate.)

pedr

Explorer
MerricB said:
I'm a Greyhawk fan. I love the setting.

That said, I think that Wizards is generally doing the right thing by the setting: letting Living Greyhawk provide the dynamic setting, and letting Paizo slip "greyhawkisms" into otherwise generic D&D adventures.
Or even the stand-out book of 2007: Player's Handbook 2 has the feat 'Robilar's Gambit' :D

Pants

First Post
MerricB said:

Cheers!
But is that really helping getting new people into the setting?

I'd think Greyhawk might do better if there was some actual support, unfortunately Greyhawk won't do very good without a lot of fans and it can't really get many more fans without support. A vicious circle it is.

Remove ads