• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Request for a monster sketch

buchw001

First Post
I hope this does not violate any copyright protocal, but after downloading a fun little side adventure from wizards.com, I found myself in need of a sketch.

The side adventure contains a new monster called a calzone golem (see full stats and description below). I wrote up a nice description for my players, but I felt my words still did not do the monster justice.

This post is to ask anyone to volunteer a sketch of the new monster. Any art is welcome, so let your skills fly...

The large bold sections below should be your motivation...

Calzone Golem
Medium-Size Construct
Hit Dice: 6d10 (33 hp)
Initiative: –1 (Dex)
Speed: 30 ft. (can’t run)
AC: 13 (–1 Dex, +4 natural)
Attacks: 2 slams +5 melee
Damage: Slam 1d8+1 and 1d4 fire
Face/Reach: 5 ft. by 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Breath weapon, heat
Special Qualities: Berserk, construct, magic immunity,spurt
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +1, Will +2
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 9, Con —, Int —, Wis 11, Cha 1
Climate/Terrain: Any land and underground
Organization: Solitary or gang (2–4)
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 7–12 HD (Medium-size); 13–18 HD (Large)

The calzone golem is a strange construct dreamed up by Andolyn (a skilled wizard) and Gendrew (a skilled cook) and created through a delicate process that mixes alchemy and bakery in ways never before imagined by mortal beings. It looks like a doughy humanoid, and smells of cheese and tomatoes.

Combat

As a golem, the calzone golem is incapable of strategy or tactics. Its creator can command it if within 60 feet. When not directly controlled, most calzone golems stand as steadfast guardians of kitchens, pantries, or dining halls.

Breath Weapon (Su): Once every 5 rounds, the calzone golem can exhale a cloud of nauseating gas as a free action. This is identical with a stinking cloudspell except that the range is 0 and the effect is a cloud that
spreads in a 5-foot radius, 5 feet high. The Fortitude save to negate the effect has a DC of 13.

Heat (Ex): The calzone golem generates so much heat that its mere touch deals additional fire damage.

Berserk (Ex): When a calzone golem is struck by a slashing or piercing weapon, it must make a Will save (DC 12), or its elemental spirit breaks free and goes berserk. The uncontrolled golem begins rampaging, attacking the nearest living creature or smashing some object smaller than itself if no creature is within reach, then moving on to spread more destruction. Once the golem goes berserk, no known method can reestablish control.

Construct: Immune to mind-influencing effects, poison, disease, and similar effects. Not subject to critical hits, subdual damage, ability damage, energy drain, or death from massive damage.

Magic Immunity (Ex): Calzone golems are immune to all spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural effects, except as follows. Cold-based effects slow them (as the slowspell) for 2d6 rounds, no saving throw. Fire-based effects deal no damage but rather harden the golem temporarily, increasing its natural armor bonus by +1 for every 3 points of damage it would otherwise deal (this hardening fades after 1d4 hours). The golem rolls no saving throw against fire effects.

Spurt (Ex): If the calzone golem is struck for damage by a slashing or piercing weapon, it spurts out a small splash of extremely hot juices from the wound. This spurt inflicts 1 point of fire damage to all individuals
within 5 feet of the golem.

Construction

A calzone golem’s body is created from a mixture of fine ingredients, including approximately 100 pounds of flour, 50 pounds of cheese, four gallons of tomato sauce, and large quantities of salt, yeast, and sugar. Mushrooms, olives, or other ingredients may be added to the tomato sauce as desired. Season with oregano and black pepper to taste. All ingredients must be fresh and of the highest quality.. The golem costs 10,000 gp to create, including 500 gp for the ingredients. Assembling the body requires a successful Profession (cook) check (DC 15), along with 2 hours of baking at approximately 450 degrees. The creator must be 9th level and able to cast arcane spells. Completing the ritual drains 250 XP from the creator and requires burning hands, grease, major creation, and stinking cloud.

buchw001

First Post
Miranda_Asch said:
Hahaha, this is hilarious :) I'll give it a try if I have enough time (stupid day-job:p)

-Miranda

http://www.geocities.com/mirandas_art/index.html

Yeah, I thought our group needed a little in game comic relief.

Don't forget that the day job is what we use to buy D&D stuff with (I'm saving for a projector); however, I anxiously await your creativity when you have the time...

Edit: WOW! I just took a look at your gallery. You have some excellent art work. Now I am really excited to see what you come up with...

Last edited:

Miranda_Asch

First Post
Here he is! The doughy cheese-man :) I had fun drawing him, I don't do many monsters. Hope you enjoy!

Attachments

• HPIM1631.JPG
    HPIM1631.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 665

buchw001

First Post
This is great (as I knew it would be). I especially like the heat effect. I really don't know how all of you artists get your talent, but I wish I had just some of it.

buchw001

First Post
I would again like to thank Miranda for the excellent monster art work (especially since she doesn't spend her time working on monsters).

I would also like to invite any others to showcase their talent. Although Miranda's fine drawing may bias you, try and read the description and let your imagination take over.

I have a friend who is currently working on a sketch (although it looks like he stole Miranda's idea) that has pieces of peperoni, sausage, mushrooms, olives and the like imbedded in the creatures body.

Good Luck and Have FUN...

Ferret

Explorer
I think we have a case of DMACitis here. A really great artist comes up and discourages others.....

Tastey art though.

ml3

First Post
Calzone Golem

Here's my try at it. I know the desc says medium sized golem, but I ordered a large. :)

Attachments

• calzone_golem.jpg
    calzone_golem.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 1,671

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads