• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Request for help: picking feats

Pazu

First Post
Hi all!

I don't know if this is the right forum to post this, but...

Recently I've done a "build" from levels 1 to 20 for a swordsman-type half-elven character I've been considering. I'm a bit stuck, however, on which feats would be useful for him as he reaches the higher levels.

Roughly speaking, the progression goes something like this:

1. Brd 1; Combat Casting
2. Ftr 1; Weapon Focus: Longsword*
3. Ftr 2; Dodge*, Expertise
4. Ftr 3
5. Brd 2
6. Ftr 4; Weapon Specialization: Longword*, Still Spell

(You see where I'm going with this, of course :) )

7. Bladesinger 1
8. Bladesinger 2; Mobility*
9. Bladesinger 3; Spring Attack

(I'm really telegraphing here :) )

10. Blade Dancer 1
11. Bladesinger 4
12. Blade Dancer 2; ??
13. Bladesinger 5; ??*
14. Blade Dancer 3
15. Bladesinger 6; ??
16. Blade Dancer 4
17. Bladesinger 7
18. Blade Dancer 5; ??
19. Bladesinger 8; ??*
20. Blade Dancer 6

* These are Ftr or Bladesinger bonus feats.

So I have five more feats to fill in, two of which need to be Bladesinger bonus feats. I figure Whirlwind Attack will be one (since I've got all the prerequisites), and I'd like to get Improved Critical: Longsword also.

Of the other three, I was thinking Power Attack (since this guy should have BAB to spare) for one, but I'm kind of stuck on the other two. I was considering Power Critical (from MotW) and Defensive Strike (from OA), but maybe more down-to-earth options such as Quick Draw and Combat Reflexes, or Superior Expertise and Improved Disarm, would be better.

Ideas, anyone?

Thanks!

-- Pazu

Celebrim

Legend
Most of what you are thinking about sounds reasonable. I'd definately be putting Improved Initiative and Combat Reflexes high on the list myself.

I also typically recommend Close Quarters Fighting, but maybe that is because as a DM I'm fond of grapple and improved grab. Hold the Line is also pretty good. Remember that when you are surprised, typically foes are using partial charges.

Notice a trend here? I take alot of stock in not getting caught flat footed.

I've found that my players get far more use out of Quickdraw than I would have ever thought possible. If you foresee the need to have a ranged weapon, think you will use a shield, or have a diplomatic campaign where you can't keep your sword at ready at all times, Quickdraw is probably worth it.

I prefer Improved Sunder to Improved Disarm, but I might take something like Iron Will or Lightning Reflexes over either.

Last edited:

Metalsmith

First Post
Why Bard? If you take 2 levels of Wizard you get the same BAB bonus and Scribe Scroll, Alertness, and a Toad (+2 Con), or Raven (flying scout and it talks!)

If you take Power Attack you just gotta have Cleave! Nothing says "Lovin" like an extra Attack.

I'd take Improved Disarm so you can quicken a True Strike and Disarm your Opponent.

Close Quarters Fighting and Combat reflexes will save your life.

Metalsmith

Pazu

First Post
Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Celebrim: I'm actually kind of torn between feats for maximum combat power and ones that give the character "style". :) Combat Reflexes and Quickdraw are certainly feats that would fit the guy as I envision him, as would Improved Disarm. But so would Superior Expertise and Defensive Strike... He will have a reasonable number of ranks in Escape Artist (from his bard and blade dancer levels), so I figure that might be a help against grapples.

Metalsmith: I considered the Wizard option, but it just doesn't really fit the character as I see him. With Bard, I can get and maintain maximum ranks in Balance, Jump, and Tumble pretty easily, plus have a few skill points left over for other things (such as Perform). Since Perform is a class skill for both bladesingers and blade dancers, I can continue his bardic music progression (albeit with only two uses per day). Plus, he's just the sort of guy who would sing while fighting. :)

It seems like Combat Reflexes is a definite winner here so far, at least! Thanks for the advice; the more the merrier!

-- Pazu

Chun-tzu

First Post
I'd take Dodge at first level and Combat Casting at third. Seems to me a +2 to AC is more useful to a first level character than a better chance at casting cantrips in battle, but YMMV. I'd also probably take that second Bard level at level 4 or level 6; a third level Fighter gets no extra bonus, so I'd either want the extra Bardic magic earlier (and take Bard 2 at level 4) or I'd want Weapon Specialization faster (and take Bard 2 at level 6).

For your leftover feats, you should consider Extend Spell and Spell Girding. One of the Bladesinger's greatest strengths is the self-buffing, and these two feats enhance the buffing capability.

If you'd prefer to focus on combat feats, with this being a master swordsman, then you've already listed some great choices: Combat Reflexes, Superior Expertise, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Quick Draw. Don't decide now, since it's way down the line, anyway. Which of these feats is best for your character will depend on your character's fighting style and the kind of combat your DM throws at you. Ten levels from now, you'll have a much better sense of which of these feats you'd want the most.

Mr Fidgit

First Post
IMO, i wouldn't go with Power Critical or Defensive Strike. P.C. is only useable once a day, and D.S. will only work if you're hit while using the total defense action (and how often will this PC be going 'total defense'?)

i'd go with imp. critical at level 12, and combat reflexes at 13. the rest, i'm not sure about...

i'm also a fan of Close Quarters Fighting and Hold the Line. you won't use 'em all the time, but when you do, you'll love 'em!

The Souljourner

First Post
I keep hearing references to Close Quarters Fighting, and I'm surprised I don't know of it. Where is it from and what does it do?

-The Souljourner

Pazu

First Post
Wow, thanks for all the great advice!

Chun-Tzu: I like your advice for modifying the earlier level progression. It didn't occur to me that there was a bit of "dead space" in levels 4-5 as originally posted. Extend Spell is an excellent idea; I'm seriously considering it since my character's (main) caster level will max out at 8. I don't know Spell Girding; can you give me a reference? Thanks!

Mr. Fidgit: Upon reflection, Power Critical does seem to be a bit limited. IIRC, Defensive Strike requires that someone attack you and miss while you're on total defense, so that you get a +4 to hit them on your turn. I could imagine this character going on total defense and deliberately drawing attacks, but who knows... There seems to be a lot of support for Close Quarters Fighting; I may have to look at that feat again.

Souljourner: Close Quarters Fighting is in Sword and Fist. IIRC, it allows you to add the damage you cause with your AoO to your (?) opposed grapple check when someone tries to start a grapple with you. I think it also stipulates that you get your AoO even if the opponent has Improved Grapple.

Thanks for all the help! Still happy to hear more opinions!

-- Pazu

Tetsuyama

First Post
I'd vote with Celebrim and go for Improved Initiative. It's a good companion for Combat Reflexes and Quickdraw. I tend to view Hold the Line as mostly a Psychic Warrior feat -- couple Hold the Line with Stand Still and it's *much* more effective than anyone else can make it. It's still handy for everyone else, but all too frequently you get hosed on it because your reach isn't as good as your opponents', so they charge without entering your threatened area. PsyWars get around the reach problem (in our campaign) with Reach, Expansion, and Polymorph.

This character also seems like to wield a Rapier rather than a Longsword, though that's just my impression from what you've said about him. I'm envisioning this as a more Dex-oriented than Str-oriented character. That leads me to think about Weapon Finesse for this character. That, coupled with Expertise and high tumble (see OA and ELH for effects of 15+ and 25+ ranks of tumble on Fighting Defensively), could make this character almost immune to normal melee and missile attacks (Great Scott! Look at that Dodge Bonus!).

Chun-tzu

First Post
Pazu: Spell Girding is from Magic of Faerun, and it makes your spells more resistant to attempts to dispel them (and for characters who rely on buffing spells, dispel magic is one of their worst enemies). Dispel checks against your spells are made at -2.

Tetsuyama: The Bladesinger is restricted to the bladesinging style, i.e., longsword in one hand, other hand free for spellcasting. Some DMs allow Bladesingers to use the Elven Thinblade, though, which IS finessable (and exotic).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads