Request: Keep GSL-related discussions here / merged with Should OGL subjects that...

Should OGL subjects that affect D&D/4e be left in the General/4e forums

• Yes

Votes: 54 88.5%
  • No

Votes: 7 11.5%

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
Should OGL subjects be allowed in General/4e sections

A lot of people have noticed that the OGL forum seems to get less traffic or interest, and posts discussing the new GSL and OGL have been put in these forums.

I'm posting a poll to take a vote and see if these subjects should be seperated into their own forums or if we should keep them in the General or 4e forums, especially if they deal with the subject of how these licenses affect D&D.

I think the separation of OGL subjects into their own forum is hurting rather than helping the forum. The OGL forum seems to be getting very little traffic, and I think people interested in certain threads are not aware that such subjects are being discussed.

Ydars

Explorer
The strange thing, is that some GSL threads get immediately sequestered away in the OGL forum but some don't; there is one on the main 4E section right now whereas one of mine got shunted straight away.

Melan

Explorer
Discussion of the OGL, the GSL and its effects on the hobby should preferably be allowed in the General forums, since they impact a significant portion of the site's users. The OGF-L forums were initially for technical questions, but right now, we have wider questions to discuss.

Yair

Community Supporter
I think the OGL forum should be left only as a legacy of the OGL mailing list of old. If someone wants to post to the "mailing list", he can post there. Posts about the OGL should, in general, be relegated to the General forum, not the OGL forum. This is because the traffic involved is so small. There is interest in the licesne now, and there would be perhaps a bit more witht he GSL at the moment it goes public, but generally the volume of traffic is very low. Look at how much threads the OGL forum got on it from its opening, even WITH the late interest! There is just not enough traffic to justify a seperate forum; General can handle it.

Regardless, the OGL-list is intended largely for technical discussion of the OGL. It is not the proper forum to discuss the relevance of the OGL to the gaming community. Such threads belong in General. Just like a thread discussing the place of House Rules in your game doesn't belong in the House Rules forum.

So I'm voting to put the posts in General, with the understanding that I'm not opposed to division by topics in general so technical questions about the license might be better placed in the OGL forum if it's decided it is more than just a legacy.

mxyzplk

Explorer
If something is purely about OGL licensing or whatnot it could go to the OGL forum, but anything about whether 4e specifically will be open licensed shouldn't be buried there. It's not the historical use of the forum.

JVisgaitis

Explorer
Legalese type discussions should go to the OGL forum. Discussions that the OGL/GSL has on open gaming should be in the main forum. The discussion that spawned this thread should be seen by everyone. I'm glad its not on the home page of the site, but it should defintelty not be tucked away in a corner. I myself never visit the OGL forum. I just happen to see a post by Clark on the forum overview page and I went there.

AZRogue

First Post
I feel that since the thread isn't about anything specific regarding the OGL or GSL (which isn't even out yet) but, instead, about the ramifications upon 4E and the gaming community that it shouldn't be tucked away in the OGL forums which are there to discuss specifics of the license itself.

I understand that being a mod is difficult and don't fault anyone for moving the thread there. I would only hope that, upon reflection, it would be moved back to the more general forum where it belongs. Indeed, there is already another thread that has the OGL in its subject line, but is still in the 4E forums because it isn't specific. I think this thread deserves the same.

Thank you for your time.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Yair said:
I think the OGL forum should be left only as a legacy of the OGL mailing list of old. If someone wants to post to the "mailing list", he can post there. Posts about the OGL should, in general, be relegated to the General forum, not the OGL forum. This is because the traffic involved is so small. There is interest in the licesne now, and there would be perhaps a bit more witht he GSL at the moment it goes public, but generally the volume of traffic is very low. Look at how much threads the OGL forum got on it from its opening, even WITH the late interest! There is just not enough traffic to justify a seperate forum; General can handle it.

Regardless, the OGL-list is intended largely for technical discussion of the OGL. It is not the proper forum to discuss the relevance of the OGL to the gaming community. Such threads belong in General. Just like a thread discussing the place of House Rules in your game doesn't belong in the House Rules forum.

So I'm voting to put the posts in General, with the understanding that I'm not opposed to division by topics in general so technical questions about the license might be better placed in the OGL forum if it's decided it is more than just a legacy.
Full agreement. Paradoxically, this poll might get little exposure since it's only linked form the OGL forum... it's not like meta sees much more traffic. :\

GMSkarka

Explorer
Request: Keep GSL-related discussions here

ENWorld's mod policy has been to move any GSL-related discussions to the OGF-L forum.

I think this is a mistake: The OGF-L is just the relocated discussion center of the old Open Gaming Foundation list -- related to the OGL. Wizards has gone (is going) to great lengths to separate any licensing of 4th Edition from the OGL -- it is it's own thing now, the GSL.

Issues surrounding the GSL are tied tightly to the launch of 4th Edition, and as such should be discussed here. Threads which started here had vibrant, active community discussion occuring -- folks with interest in 4th Edition had opinions that they wished to share on the topic of the GSL. In every case, the thread has been moved to OGF-L, where, out of sight and out of mind, the discussion has dwindled to only those familiar with that forum.

Please, keep GSL stuff here in 4E. That's where it belongs.

Remove ads