Request

niklinna

satisfied?
Given that EN World would absolutely be poorer without Snarf here, and that his account won't be deleted until Monday, I hope the mods are discussing ways to fix this, since it was one of their own that precipitated this unfortunate state of affairs. At the very least, a public apology might go a long way towards hopefully getting Snarf to change his mind.
It was Snarf who precipitated this unfortunate state of affairs, with the comments quoted in the moderation post. We are all free to stay or go, and if somebody wants to walk away after being reminded to treat others well, that's their prerogative.

It was Snarf who precipitated this unfortunate state of affairs, with the comments quoted in the moderation post. We are all free to stay or go, and if somebody wants to walk away after being reminded to treat others well, that's their prerogative.

Not sure this is the place to discuss it, but the offending paragraph was this

....which doesn't work. It's why most of the thoughtful 5e players don't engage in these lengthy ... threads ... with the same conversations. It's pointless to try and discuss a bad example (with some people who don't even play the game) with exemplars from other games.

In sum, the position is that that people criticizing 5e in that thread are not players of 5e, and thus "most" (not all) posters who play 5e had dropped out of the discussion by that point. The mods interpreted this as saying the other commenters in the thread were "not thoughtful," but that's weird; the thrust of it was doubt that the discussion by that point was operating in good faith. The other post that got moderated in that thread was much more pointed and impolite.

The mods have a difficult job. A lot of the arguments in threads devolve into Team A and Team B, with people "liking" only the posts from their teams. I think what could be effective is if you ("you" in the general sense) see someone being impolite who is otherwise on your "team" to, instead of liking their post let them know that they might be coming across as overly aggressive or condescending.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Given that EN World would absolutely be poorer without Snarf here, and that his account won't be deleted until Monday, I hope the mods are discussing ways to fix this, since it was one of their own that precipitated this unfortunate state of affairs. At the very least, a public apology might go a long way towards hopefully getting Snarf to change his mind.
Oh gods, I hope not. Mods won't be able to do their job if they feel that if they happen to give a single warning to a prolific poster will cause a backlash and a forced public apology. An apology, that forced, is probably not sincere.

Also, considering Snarf's comment in this thread:
There's not much else to comment on, other than I respect the hard and thankless work that is done to keep this website running so well.
It does not seem like they are pushing against the moderation. Which makes it more likely that it's a bigger issue or issues and the moderation was just the straw that broke the camel's back. Leading to an apology not correcting the issue either.

Basically, I disagree complete with the concept of moderators having to tiptoe around giving out moderation and being forced to give apologies if someone is upset for having earned one. They have to read us at our worst, and do so to keep the whole site better for everyone.

Lazvon

Adventurer
Me too. Has been about 17-years for me though. Joined when some folks in a campaign I was in recommended it and then I forgot about it. Started playing 5e with the kids, and rediscovered it.

Really there are only about 5 posters that annoyed me (until I clicked ignore) with their constant back and forth posting, showing they weren’t really listening or evolving their opinions. Instead, just seems they want to be right or have the last word by dragging down a thread. With those 5 ignored, forums have been great for such a large population. Folks sometimes need reminding to keep it great; but again, amazing it generally works the last couple of months I’ve been back.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Selfishly*, using ideas from above, @Snarf Zagyg should ask for a one year ban, save up and just dump some big post on us at the one year mark, and then ask for another one. We can call it Snarf Day and celebrate by burning bard character sheets and ordering pizza only from places that don't have pineapple.

* Me being selfish, that is.

Last edited:

Eric V

Hero
I hope you're not blaming the mod...

aia_2

Custom title
Re-logged in just for this. I apologize for the confusion- I just want my account deactivated. The other thing was a reference to the precipitating event, not a request for deletion of likes. I wasn't trying to be unclear.
I am with you, Snarf! You have all my shympaty! You could not take a better decision. I wish i will meet you on other boards as i enjoyed reading you!

Remove ads