Requesting B.A.D.D help

Derren

Hero
In some weeks (or months) I will run a Dragon Battle against my group. Í´m DM for only 1 year, so I want a little help in playing the dragon(s) right.

The setup is, that the dragons will attack a kingdom in order to gain land an take revenge (the kingdom violated dragon territory 500 years ago)
The kingdom will have about 4 thousand troops out (2k will be archers) and the PCs who are lords of a small part of that kingdom (will have about 400 archers and some anti-dragon siege engines)

The dragon strike group will consist of about 6-7 dragon from various ages and colors. (I don´t use color alignments)
The battlefield will be open plains with some hills.
The PCs will be about 14 level
lvl 14 human barbarian
lvl 14 elven druid
lvl 14 elven ranger
lvl 8/6 dwarven fighter/cleric of Moradin

The fighter and the barb have Griffon steeds, the druid has an Dire Wolf (but may change) Most of them have special magical Weapons (made not with d&d rules) because the players wanted something special.
The barbarian has a greatsword +2. As a standard action he can concentrate on an enemy. He knows where this enemy is in an radius of 100 ft (Find the Path) and gets +5 on attack rolls, but gets -7 against all other enemies. He also has an amulet of health +6
The druid has a quarterstaff +3 which can call 3 lightning bolts (as call lightning) which strike a random field within 5 feet of him.
A periphat of wisdom +4 and a ring of invisibility.
The Ranger has a Flaming, Distance Mighty Composite Longbow (+4) +1 and a Cloak of Resistance
The dwarf has a +1 Sacred, Blinding, Breastplate of Command
The group will also have an Orb of Dragonkind (Silver), but there won´t be silvers in the attack

My world is low on spellcasters, so there will no arcane support and minimal clerical support besides the PCs.
The PCs are known to the dragons (have met them before) and are good informed (polymorphed young adult bronze dragon acts as spy and will sabotage the sige engines. In fact he is constructing them, but they will never work)

My plan is, that the PCs will be on the flank of the army (order from the king). Most of the dragons will attack the army so that there will only be a battle between the PCs and an adult red.
The dragon will have haste and protection from arrows (level 11) at the beginning of the battle. (casted by another dragon).
The battle should be hard, but not instantly deadly. both sides have the chance to retreat. The overall outcome of the battle will be, that the army will be routed with about 70% casualties.

Do you have tips how I should play the red, how the battle tactic should be and some general nasty tricks for dragons ?

Sorry for the long post

Wolfspider

Explorer
Thanks for asking for help! We'll do what we can. :D

Four hundred archers should prove to be very much of a threat to the dragons, especially if they are protected by magic. But please tell me the nature of these disturbing "anti-dragon seige engines."

The characters don't seem to have very much in the way of spellcasting power--just a level 6 cleric. In fact, if the dragons keep their distance from the melee fighers (destroying their flying mounts is a must), then they should be able to mop up quite easily unless the players come up with some great tactics.

Any other B.A.D.D. thoughts?

Mr. Draco

First Post
will it be just the PC's vs the red or the PCs & their forces vs the red? It makes alot of difference.

By the way, do the PCs know the type of dragon they'll be facing?

wolfspider, they do have a lvl 14 druid. (flamestrike), but because it's a red, it shouldn't hurt it much. (flamestrike is a 1/2 fire 1/2 force effect right? (no PHB at the moment)

Derren

Hero
You have missed the level 14 druid. He will surely prepare disintegrate, harm, ice storm and flame strike. But the dragon will target him first.

The siege engines are ballistas filled some with alchemist fire and the others with glue. But the bronze dragon spy is constructing and building them If undiscovered, the engines will misfire and kill some of the troops.
If discovered, he will destroy the engines and the plans. And alchemist fire and so on is hard to get in bigger amounts.

The archers wont be very protected by magic. There are no arcane spellcasters in the kingdom (was an arch enemy of a mage kingdom which was wiped out by the dragons)
The PCs have a deal with the church but they will mostly heal the wounded.
Non of the archers will have magical equipment (including arrows).
The cleric isn´t much of a thread (because of the player who always does some suicidal actions)

I forgot, the dragons use summoned elementals as ground troops. (an ancient gold dragon with invisibility will circle the battlefield and summon them)

Wen it works like I have planed, the remaining dragons and the elementals will take care of the army, so that it will be PCs vs. red dragon.

The PCs do know, that dragons are coming, but not what color they will be. I giving them the orb should make them think that there will be silvers (it is for roleplaying purpose, because they know a silver quite good)
Maybe I will cast change self at the dragon, make it look white at the beginning.

Last edited:

novyet

First Post
Snatches and flyby attacks from the red will be a key. Protection from arrows and haste will be a big asset, if you are counting on archers from the main force providing support. Also keep in mind the red is a 7th level sorcerer and can cast spells from fire chaos and evil domains, (such as protection or magic circle from/against good, or Resist Elements:Cold) this can be a huge asset and is often overlooked.

Though it's cliche, the best tactic is to use the flyby attack and snatch a target with claw or bite attacks. The goal being to get them in the mouth whereupon you turn the breath weapon on the unfortunate and his companions, and then fling said poor poor sob to the ground.

Fight smart and fight from the air, and know when to pull out when the odds turn against you. This applies to your pc's and the dragon.

Hope this helps! :)

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
My Advice to the Dragons

Cheat. Hit 'em when they're unaware, hit 'em when they're asleep. Hit 'em on the march and when they're out foraging. Force 'em to fort up and then besiege them. Keep them from food and water, and be magnaminous in victory.

Use your mobility to advantage. ¥ou can go places faster than the humans. Strike at his infrastructure -his farms, bridges, grain mills, etc. Get him to break up his army to hunt down your raiders, then concentrate to strike his detachments in turn. Let yourself be seen all over the place, give him the impression there are more of you than there are, and that you can do pretty much what you will.

You don't fight wars for honor or glory, you fight wars to win. Your job is even easier, you have to _not lose_. So long as you have a force in being, you remain a threat to the humans. He has to defeat you, to eliminate the threat you pose to his kingdom. Either he defeats you, or he surrenders the land his ancestors took 5 centuries ago. Be patient. Humans have short lives, and the king who refuses to negotiate could have a son, grandson, or great grandson willing to deal.

Above all, never play his game. Make him play yours. Nobody ever won playing the other guy's game.

Wolfspider

Explorer
You have missed the level 14 druid. He will surely prepare disintegrate, harm, ice storm and flame strike. But the dragon will target him first.

Sorry, I overlooked the druid, who should be able to cause some damage if he's smart.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think druids can caste disintegrate. It's a sorcerer/wizard spell and also part of the Destruction domain but not listed in the druid spell lists.

Good suggestions, folks. Keep 'em coming. :D

Last edited:

Andor

First Post
The dragon has his kobold lackeys catch him a rust monster. Before the fight the dragon picks it up and remembers to turn himself and the rust monster invisible while he is getting his protection from arrows.

The PS first realize the dragon is nearby when he turns visible while he mulches the rustmonster just over their heads, providing a nice rustmonster blood rain. He can throw body parts at anyone who's armour saves.

Plus, of course, the inn they are staying at mysteriously burns down the night before the battle.

As the battle is joined, tactics are to lure the mounted fighters away and to flame down their mounts some distance from the rest of the party. Then to fly back (Red Dragon plus Expeditious retreat, plus running equals about 200mph over short distances) and snatch and gobble the spellcasters (druid in particular) before the fighters can make it back on foot.

Dragon feats should include Wingover, snatch, fly-by-attack, and maybe run.

And remember that while he can only breath every few rounds as a 7th level Sorcerer he can drop point blank fireballs as often as he likes.

-Andor

Henry@home

First Post
Do your players read this board?

If not, I would like to post some possible tactics that they might use AGAINST the dragons.

This at first sounds like it's against the B.A.D.D. charter, :) but you might want to know some of the tactics they COULD use against the dragons.

As far as the dragons go, I would suggest:

• Keep the battle aerial, as dragons excel best on the wing.
  • If an ancient gold dragon is participating in this battle, the PC's can hang it up right here and now, I don't care how much cannon fodder they have. If he is only providing spell support, there is no end to the number of really evil things he can do, including walls of iron for the dragons to push over onto troops and archers, walls of thorns to separate the troops and set them up for flaming breaths, entangles, etc.
  • The red should enter battle with protection from elements (cold) on. He should also have stoneskin if possible, and a fire shield (red dragons can cast cleric spells from fire and evil domains after all). If possible, he can have energy immunity from Tome & Blood on him, and Divine power from the cleric lists.

also don't forget that red dragons can, with the quicken spell-like ability feat, cast suggestion as a free action 3 times per day.

Last edited:

Remove ads