D&D 5E Requesting help building a barbarian

Clint_L

Hero
Our group does have a tendency to run fairly close to meme characters. However, no that won't actually be the characters name. Not sure on name yet. Dumping int, but wisdom will probably be 12. Will be afraid of spiders and hate/distrust people of X race (X is not yet defined). Trying to become (in)famous and powerful enough to take the chieftain's torq when he goes back home. (That is his goal, even though he would be a terrible chieftain.) Some of personality will be set depending upon what build choices are made.
A spider phobia is a minor character point that probably won't affect how you build him. Hating a particular species could give you something to go on, depending on his reasons - path of the zealot comes to mind here. The goal of gaining power for its own sake, which seems to be what you are implying, is interesting (and could lead to a thematically rich character arc as he has experiences that maybe make him a little more self-aware). Again, path of the zealot seems like the best fit.

Like maybe he hates species X because of something that did to his tribe, which the current chieftain was too weak to protect, so your character becomes zealously devoted to building up his own name and gaining the acclaim that will lead him to power. Kind of like Beowulf.

Relating to the "multiclass to ranger" suggestion, barbarians often fill the "wilderness guy" trope. Which means they want to have a couple of decent skills. Which means, if you aren't using rolled stats, Unarmored Defense can be a trap. It synergises fine with a super-stealthy barbarian, but otherwise it sucks up points for CON that would be better spent elsewhere, and simply wearing medium armour.

Also carry a bow. You may not have any class abilities that relate to it, but chances are you have a better dexterity than the guy in full plate, and enemies cannot always be expected to come obligingly into melee range.

Last edited:

Then there's actually a lot of interesting barbarian concepts as long as you avoid the more damage trap.
A bugbear zealot wth alert and skulker would a blast and would fit the "I don't like spiders" theme

Relating to the "multiclass to ranger" suggestion, barbarians often fill the "wilderness guy" trope. Which means they want to have a couple of decent skills. Which means, if you aren't using rolled stats, Unarmored Defense can be a trap. It synergises fine with a super-stealthy barbarian, but otherwise it sucks up points for CON that would be better spent elsewhere, and simply wearing medium armour.

Also carry a bow. You may not have any class abilities that relate to it, but chances are you have a better dexterity than the guy in full plate, and enemies cannot always be expected to come obligingly into melee range.
I think, I will now test that out. Sounds interesting.
Maybe I will put a link here to my character sheet.

I think I will do lvl 6 total, with tasha modifications.

There it is:

Note, that ut is unclear, if you can use favored foe while raging. Rage says you can't concentrate on spells you can cast. It does not say, you can't concentrate.

Last edited:

I think, I will now test that out. Sounds interesting.
Maybe I will put a link here to my character sheet.

I think I will do lvl 6 total, with tasha modifications.

There it is:

Note, that ut is unclear, if you can use favored foe while raging. Rage says you can't concentrate on spells you can cast. It does not say, you can't concentrate.
The rules actually states: if you can cast spells, you can't concentrate. The only way to hold concentration is to first lose the ability to cast spells (without losing concentration) and then raging. Incidentally, Wild Shape allows this.

The rules actually states: if you can cast spells, you can't concentrate. The only way to hold concentration is to first lose the ability to cast spells (without losing concentration) and then raging. Incidentally, Wild Shape allows this.
Hmmh...

Edit: on D&Dbeyond it says, that if you can cast spells you can' t concentrate ON THEM.

And on the sheet itself it says, you can't cast or concentrate ON SPELLS.

Last edited:

Clint_L

Hero
I think the intent is clear and there’s no way I’d let a player use concentration spells while raging.

Remove ads