• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Resources for people looking to teach newbies?

The Souljourner

First Post
I had an idea to teach some middle school/high school kids in town about D&D specifically and RPGs in general. Are there any good resources out there for helping with that? I've googled and found a smattering of one-off threads and videos about it, but nothing terribly in-depth. I've been out of serious playing for about 5 years (since my first kid was born), so I'm kind of out of the loop on basically everything (have 5th edition core books, have skimmed them but only played a couple adventures).

Obviously, suggestions in this thread are great, but I was wondering if there was a more comprehensive place to look - someone who has done a lot of this and shared their experiences.

Thanks!
-Nate

SunGold

First Post
Have you considered just having them watch any of the popular actual play shows? I've seen a number of people say that they started playing because shows like Critical Role demystified D&D for them. Getting to see the game in action, how combat & turns work, etc. may be more fun than watching someone explain rules.

Maybe just have them skim the basic rules, watch a little actual play (here's Critical Role episode 1), and then learn "on the job," as it were.

Whatever you go with, good luck & have fun! :)

The Souljourner

First Post
Great idea, thanks. I'm still getting used to the idea that playing online is something people actually do (and moreso that they record it). I watched some of Critical Role, it's pretty awesome. Getting voice actors to do it is an awesome idea (not just the voice part, but the acting part).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads