• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RESTARTED - Rhun's Greyhawk ALPHA Campaign (tToEE) - PART III

Legildur

First Post
"I think you must be forgetting that mighty gem Ragnok retrieved from the fireplace," Kurt reminds Trevor, himself more interested in the outcomes than the loot.

However, he does collect the fire creature tome for the Church to study more closely when he can get it to them.

"Do we push on? Or retire to Hommlet for a piece?" Kurt asks the group.

"I presume that if we go back the way we came, and then keep going, that we would then likely find the Water Temple. Or we continue up this passageway," he offers (at BA66). "Though that possibly leads towards the main temple."

Leif

Adventurer
Trevor Champlaign, Human Rog2Ftr2,AC20/16/14,HP35/36,+1Lngswd+8,1-8+3, F+8,R+8,W+3

"I guess I did forget about that gem. Oh, well, I hope it's formidable enough to make up for the scarcity elsewhere. I'm all for retiring to Hommlet or continuing onward, whichever."

Last edited:

Boddynock

First Post
"Hommlett! says Ragnok irritably.

"I've told you - I have business there. We're not prepared for what this place will throw at us ... and we're not going to do our respective gods - or the king - any good by dying!

Thanee

First Post
Dara

Dara uses up another of her spells to determine whether there are any magical auras in the rooms they just searched or among the items they acquired there.

Scotley

Hero
Verdis happily assists with the detecting of magic. "I could continue on a bit, but if you all are ready to retire to the village for a while, so be it. I confess a beer and a decent meal sounds pretty good about now."

Leif

Adventurer
Trevor Champlaign, Human Rog2Ftr2,AC20/16/14,HP35/36,+1Lngswd+8,1-8+3, F+8,R+8,W+3

"That makes it unanimous, does it not? If so, then, by all means, let's get to skedaddling back to Hommlet!"

Rhun

First Post
You gather your gear and your hard won loot (what little there is, in Trevor's opinion - the fact that it is more than he has seen in his life not withstanding), you make your way back out of the Temple of Elemental Evil. Back past the bodies of the bugbears, the hacked and burned corpses of the trolls and their pets, up to the first level of the dungeon and directly up to the Temple Proper. The entire area is oddly quiet as you make your way out into the rubble strewn coutryard; of course, you've undoubtedly slain a good portion of the Temple's strength.

That fact, though, means that your task will only be more difficult during your next intrusion. As chaotic and unorganized as your opponents have seemed, they can't ignore your latest victories. With two of the four elemental factions destroyed, you are certain that even the "greater Temple" must respond to your righteous crusade. Still...that is for another day.

It is only about noon when you leave the Tmple, and it takes just over an hour to make your way down the rutted dirt track to Nulb. You decide to pass straight through the wretched village, making your way back to Hommlet. Encumbered as you are by loot and armor, night falls well before you make it to your destination; indeed, when the lights of Burne's tower come into view in the dark ahead, you are only a couple hours shy of midnight.

Tired and dirty, you make your way straight to the Inn of the Welcome Wench. The brightly lit, fenced yard in front of the place, and the painted sign showing the buxom, smiling girl holding an overflowing flagon of ale, is one of the most welcome sights you have ever seen. You make your way up the front steps and into the great taproom of the inn. The cloying scent of pipesmoke reaches your nose, and you breathe a sigh of relief as you take seats around a rough-hewn trestle table, nestled between a cluster of age and smoke darkened tree-trunk pillars that support the ceiling overhead.

Only a few folks are about at this time of night, but Ostler is still up, pouring drinks behind the bar. Spotting you enter, he calls out with a smile. "Ah, the heroes have returned. And looking rather weary, haggard, and worse for wear by my reckoning! Ha!" He gives a hearty laugh, and then snaps his fingers and points to your table. "A round of ale will do you well. And for dinner...how does some roast venison, with mushrooms and shallots, and garlic mashed turnips sound to you?"

FYI, I've done a poor job of tracking each PCs encumberance, but some of your PCs are carrying 100 or so POUNDS of coinage on them...let's make sure they stop at the moneylenders so you can trade some of that in for platinum and gems. Or spend your coin...either way. :D

I know there is all sorts of contradicting information as to the positions of Hommlet and Nulb and the Temple, but since we've previously established it is about a day's travel, we will stick with that.

Leif

Adventurer

After leaving the temple, but before the party reaches even Nulb, Trevor wants to make something clear: "I want you to know that I am not dissatisfied with the riches we have gained. In fact, it seems rather a bit more than I have seen collected in one place at any time in my life! Still, it is rather a meager sum for which to trade one's life. And I think that our efforts and our blood have earned a good deal more than we have. In fact, I'm not even sure that a king could pay us the sum that we have earned."

Upon reaching the "Welcome Wench," Trevor is mightily gratified by the sights, sounds, and especially the savory smells. "Yes, indeed! I feel as though I could eat an entire haunch of venison by myself! Feed us well, Ostler, if you please?"

Last edited:

Legildur

First Post
After the long day's march, Kurt's bowed shoulders and back straighten as Hommlet comes into view. He pats the young soldier on the back with his gauntleted hand. "Young Trevor, wealth is not all that need drive a man," he says. "The work we have done in the Temple is wealth for the soul, and the gods look favourably upon us - otherwise you'd not be still alive," he adds with a grin.

On reaching the Inn, Kurt sits heavily and relaxes, waiting patiently for the excellent service to look after them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads