• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Resurrection City 1: The Adventure of the Sealed Room

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
"Yes, of course, I see no harm in a glance," DEDI answers. "I daresay Arthur most likely suspects what may be found within, at any rate."
JimAde said:
"Now then, Arthur," he says softly, "why don't you tell me what all the whispering is about? Since you asked me to come all this way I assume you'd like my opinion about this. It's a little difficult to form one when I'm obviously being kept in the dark. Does that seem fair to you?"
"Of course, of course. I merely thought that you should like to be present for the resolution of the fates of my grandfather and your aunt, simple family interest, you see," says Arthur. "As to DEDI and I whispering, as you put it, he was merely urging me to seek the assistance of a doctor in analyzing this evidence. Nothing more."

"Perhaps I should explain, as well," says the mysterious Frater DEDI. "When Arthur contacted me about his... situation, I asked him to bring a few people he trusted along to the house. Safety in numbers and all." He sits lost in thought for a moment, weighing something in his mind.

"I suppose I had better do something else, as well, perhaps it will alleviate some of the mistrust. And so I will tell you something, though it goes against all the rules of our Order; but even my presence here violates those rules. But before I tell you this, I must most solemnly ask you to swear upon your word, to swear the strongest oath you may, that what I am about to tell you is for your ears and your ears alone. My name, as Arthur so foolishly almost let slip, is William Butler Yeats."

Last edited:

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
Frater DEDI said:
"...My name, as Arthur so foolishly almost let slip, is William Butler Yeats."

Diggory, who has been looking through Thomas Pellgraine's small leather journal, nearly chokes on his brandy at the name, but willingly agrees to secrecy.

OOC: Did Diggory notice anything in the book?

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Kajamba: Once again, you don't have time for an in-depth study of the book, but you manage to glean the main gist of it. Thomas Pellgraine's central theory was that there was a second world parallel to ours, from which all supernatural phenomena were drawn. This led him to study of the Astral Plane, and much of the rest of the book consists of accounts of Thomas' travels there, and sketches of spirit creatures he encountered there. You also come across a sketch of a scarab-shaped object, on which is overlayed a cluster of stars. There are hieroglyphics on it, so it would appear to be some sort of Egyptian ceremonial item. Also, there are keys to deciphering a few alphabets or codes written out. The last few entries further confirm the tale as told by Arthur and by Andrea's diary, that of the servant "given to the Thief of Forms".

[I may as well just tell you that there are two spells in the book, but you'll have to study it later to get those]

JimAde

First Post
Andrew D. Gable said:
...My name, as Arthur so foolishly almost let slip, is William Butler Yeats."
Trevor regards the man impassively. "Do you mean the fellow who published the fairy tale book last year?" Trevor shakes his head incredulously, then holds up his hand with mock solemnity. "Very well. I solemnly swear not to reveal that you are a children's book author," he says. "But what is this Order you speak of, and what might it have to do with the sealed room and the blood (or whatever it is) that we saw?"

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
"The same, Baron Walsingham." Yeats grins a bit at the nobleman's jest. "Our Order is a young one. Our first temple here in England was founded in 1888. According to our founder, however, the Order is much older, with extent temples in Germany. But some question him. At any rate, our Order is a loose one, and is mainly a social club of sorts for folk with an interest in the occult. We have occasional meetings, true, but mainly the members are left on their own, to follow their own pursuits.

"The interest in Arthur's affair here is mine alone, and not truly the Order's. Also, as I stated, Arthur desires membership in the Order, and I agreed to discuss his enrollment with our Chiefs in exchange for the lore and knowledge he assured me were in that room. I had no prior knowledge of its contents, beyond what Arthur told me. I desire knowledge, Walsingham, knowledge above all. Understanding of the mysterious forces in this world can be gained, I believe, only through learning. That was my interest here, to gain learning."

Suddenly there is a crash from upstairs, and a young woman's scream. "Rachel!" Arthur shouts, bolting out the door into the foyer.

Last edited:

Old Fezziwig

"Oh, Hell!" Slightly jumpy, Diggory pockets the book, pulls out his revolver, and follows Pellgraine out of the room.

Karl Green

First Post
Pastor Andrew Miller

Andrew has been watching DEDI with some interest thoughout his... little tale. He is not sure what to make of the man. At the girls scream he turns and follows Arthur as fast as can (trying not to get in the way of anyone else... especially those armed)

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
As Arthur and Jamison rush out of the room, they nearly collide with the maid, Rachel, who is hurtling madly down the stairs, babbling incoherently.

"What is it, girl?" Arthur demands of her.

"Oh, sir, I was in the upstairs linen closet when suddenly I heard a loud crash from the old room that you gents broke into this eve. As I went towards the door to see if I could find out what it was, I saw... something... flying by me, like a little cigar, not much bigger. And it brushed against my face, and that's when I cried out. Oh, it was horrible! What could it have been?"

In the sitting-room, Yeats leaps out of his chair as Rachel tells her story.

Old Fezziwig

"Oh, for f-," Diggory starts and then checks himself. "Someone stay with her. Give her some brandy. I don't know. Something. You can all figure it out."

Sighing, Jamison turns to Yeats. "How dangerous is that thing? And is this or that," he indicates the gun then his knife, "going to be any use against it? I suspect that I know the answer, but it'd be good to get some reassurance from someone a bit more knowledgeable than I. Not that it'd matter, as I'm not that good of a marksman." Well, Pellgraine certainly knows how to throw a good party...

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
"I rather think they should be," Yeats says. "The creature, whatever it is, is manifested physically. You won't be shooting at a ghost, by any means. As to its danger... who can say? I'm not even entirely certain where the beast is from."

Remove ads