• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Resurrection City 1: The Adventure of the Sealed Room

Jarval

Explorer
Dr Richard Hewitt

Dr Hewitt walked back towards the station, bag in one hand, coat in the other. The man he'd been called to see would recover, but it had been touch and go for several hours. After close to a day couped up in a small room with a sick man, the clean air of the evening was a welcome relief.

Odd that they'd call me down from London. It does make one wonder as to the quality of the local doctors if they felt it necessary to bring me it. He muses as he strolls along the road. And , of course, quite flattering that they'd heard of me...

JimAde

First Post
Rather than participate in the general stampede, Trevor pours another brandy, offering it to Rachel. "Here you are, my dear. Try to calm down," he says. He seats her on the davenport and says soothingly, "Now tell me exactly what you saw while Mr. Pellgraine and the others go have a look."

[OOC: Diplomacy +8, Gather Information +8, 16 Charisma (+3)]

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
As Dr. Hewitt trudges along the road, he hears the unmistakable sound of a carriage clopping along the thoroughfare towards him. As it nears him, it slows. The carriage is driven by a largish man of a shabby genteel appearance. He indicates the doctor's bag. "Are you a doctor, then? My name is Gervase. I come from Pellgraine Manor, we've some things we've found in the house that should want the opinions of a medical man. Will you come with me?" He turns and holds the carriage door open. After Dr. Hewitt climbs in, Gervase turns the carriage back around and drives towards the manor. It passes along a road flanked by Romanesque statuary, under a wrought-iron arch, and eventually stops in front of a large but modest house. Gervase holds the doctor's door open, and jogs up to the door of the house, letting himself in with a key he has in his pocket. He beckons the doctor to follow him.

There is a fumbling sound as of keys at the locked front door, and in a moment the servant Gervase appears, a youngish man with an inquisitive look on his face in tow. "I've got the doctor," he says, indicating the young man behind him.

"Thank you, sir," Rachel says as she takes the brandy. "The thing I saw...as I said, it was only a few inches long, about the same size and shape as a cigar, but it moved all snaky-like, just like it was going for a swim. It had a little thing like a star on the front of it, maybe that was its mouth. It had all sorts of little feathery feelers near its mouth, just like a moth."

Last edited:

Jarval

Explorer
Passing his hat and coat to Gervase, Richard looks curiously around the room.

"Good evening, gentlemen, I'm Dr. Hewitt. How may I be of assistance?"

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
"Baron Walsingham, show the good doctor the papers and things we've found, will you? Thank you," says Yeats, who has come about halfway down the stairs. Dr. Hewitt is shown into a sitting-room through an open set of double doors off to his right. In the room sit a well-dressed young man and a young lady with a brandy, who looks quite distressed about something. The indicated materials sit on a long wooden table, beside the decanter. They consist of a sheaf of papers and a small jar labelled 'R. pedis diaboli'.

[Karl, which door are you at? The door to the sitting-room? Just checking to see if there's any more of the things about? I don't quite understand, maybe I'm just being dense ;)]

Last edited:

Jarval

Explorer
Richard nods a pleasant greeting to the young man and woman as he makes his way over to the long table. Quickly scanning some of the papers littered across the table, he glances over at the small jar.

Pedis diaboli? Foot devil? Devil's foot? What on earth is in that? He thinks as he picks up the jar and examines the label closely.

"Ah, excuse me, sir?" Richard calls over to the young man. "Can you cast any light on this jar and it's contents? I am afraid I am not entirely certain what I'm looking at here."

JimAde

First Post
Exposition time

Jarval said:
Richard nods a pleasant greeting to the young man and woman as he makes his way over to the long table. Quickly scanning some of the papers littered across the table, he glances over at the small jar.

Pedis diaboli? Foot devil? Devil's foot? What on earth is in that? He thinks as he picks up the jar and examines the label closely.

"Ah, excuse me, sir?" Richard calls over to the young man. "Can you cast any light on this jar and it's contents? I am afraid I am not entirely certain what I'm looking at here."
Trevor stands and hands the doctor an embossed introduction card. "Trevor MacAllistair at your service, doctor. As to the contents, I'm afraid I've no idea. I'm not sure what I'd expect the devil's foot to look like, but I wouldn't suppose it'd fit in such a small jar," he says with a smile. "We've been having a bit of an explore this evening and made some unexpected discoveries. Have a brandy and I'll bring you up to date."

[OOC: No point in re-hashing it all in character, Jarval, I'm sure you've read the thread. Now your character knows everything mine does (which seems to be somewhat less than some of the others :) ) EXCEPT that Trevor will not divulge Yeats' identity. A gentleman doesn't do things like that.]

Karl Green

First Post
Andrew D. Gable said:
[Karl, which door are you at? The door to the sitting-room? Just checking to see if there's any more of the things about? I don't quite understand, maybe I'm just being dense ;)]

[OCC - whatever door that Rachel had to come in though to get into the sitting room... I am assuming that is the closes one to the "study" even if it is in a different part of the house]

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
From where Pastor Miller has stationed himself, the double doors leading into the sitting-room, he sees no more of the flying things, nor can he see the one that Rachel encountered.

[There's a bannister going around an open area over most of the foyer, so you can see the door to the study, as well]

Arthur comes down the stairs and into the sitting-room. Looking at the new visitor, he rewords the sentence in his mind. "...DEDI sent me down here to make certain that our visitor had made himself at home. My name is Arthur Pellgraine, sir, owner of this house." He extends his hand to the doctor. "Trevor here is my cousin. I'm sure he's filled you in on the events of this eve so far. Inspector Diggory, DEDI, and Mr. Shaw are upstairs trying to take care of our little...inconvenience. Please, sir, feel free to ask of me any question you may have."

Last edited:

Remove ads