• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Resurrection City 1: The Adventure of the Sealed Room

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Sunday, 23 April, 1893
Andrew Miller, Anglican pastor of St. Nicholas’ church in the Essex town of Loughton, received a visit from one Arthur Pellgraine, a parishioner at his church, after the Sunday service. Pellgraine looked quite agitated, though whether for good or ill Pastor Miller could not say. Pellgraine was a slight young man, with brownish-blond hair and small wire-rimmed spectacles.

"There is a matter at my home which may require some looking into. As a faithful and God-fearing man, I believe that the power of the Anglican Church may be needed. Pastor, as a man I can trust, I ask you if you will please meet me at my home at 7 o’clock this evening."

Friday, 21 April, 1893
Aiolos Shaw checks his post one morning and finds he has received a letter from Arthur Pellgraine. After a moment, he has jogged his memory and recalled Pellgraine as a young, rather bookish man he met one day a few months before in the Reading Room at the British Museum. Pellgraine had taken an interest in some of Aiolos’ researches, and engaged him in conversation.

In the letter, he asked Mr. Shaw to meet him Sunday evening at 7 o’clock at his home, Pellgraine Hall, in the town of Loughton, about forty-five minutes’ train ride to the northeast of London.

Friday, 21 April, 1893
Trevor MacAllistair, the Baron Walsingham, looked through the mail his housekeeper brought in on this morning and found a letter from Arthur Pellgraine, who was a distant cousin of his. Andrea Pellgraine, the grandmother of Arthur, was sister to Trevor’s grandmother Sarah. In the letter, Arthur asks him to meet him at his estate in Loughton at 7 o’clock Sunday evening.

Sunday, 23 April, 1893
After returning home from church on Sunday morning, Inspector Jamison O. Diggory had a visitor. The youngish, dark-haired man introduced himself as Frater DEDI. After he is shown in and seats himself, he speaks further.

"My name is not important. What is important is the interests I represent. I, sir, am a member of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, and come to you with a problem and a proposition. A young man named Pellgraine has contacted us, and told us he wishes to share knowledge with us. In return, he asks for admission to our Order. But not just admission! No, Pellgraine wishes to be admitted directly to the Inner Order, a degree which takes some members years to attain. I wish you to accompany to his home to investigate this knowledge, and to determine if it is worth our time. If it is indeed, I am prepared to offer you, as well, a membership in the Order. I believe that such a membership could interest one of such… esoteric studies as yourself? Please, do this thing, I ask you as a fellow son of Hibernia. Should you accept, meet me at the Great Eastern Rail Station in Bethnal Green at half-past 5 this evening."

JimAde

First Post
Andrew D. Gable said:
Friday, 21 April, 1893
Trevor MacAllistair, the Baron Walsingham, looked through the mail his housekeeper brought in on this morning and found a letter from Arthur Pellgraine, who was a distant cousin of his. Andrea Pellgraine, the grandmother of Arthur, was sister to Trevor’s grandmother Sarah. In the letter, Arthur asks him to meet him at his estate in Loughton at 7 o’clock Sunday evening.
Trevor tapped his fingers thoughtfully on the letter he held. I haven't seen Arthure since we were boys, he thinks. The London season is approaching, I suppose I could make an early start of it.

"Bridey," he called to his maid. "Start packing a case for me. I'm going on a visit. Pack for a week." He walked to his writing desk and sat in the ornate Queen Anne chair he favored. Taking a piece of his personalized stationery and a gold-tipped fountain pen, he quickly composed a reply. The regular post wouldn't get the reply back to Arthur in time. He'd have to use a courier.
My Dear Arthur,

It was wonderful to hear from you. I hope all is well with you. I shall be pleased to join you on Sunday evening, though I can't imagine what has prompted the invitation after so many years.

-Your obedient servant
Trevor MacAllistair Baron Walsingam
He addressed and sealed the envelope, then brought it to his butler. "Cooper, Please see that this gets to Loughton today or tomorrow. Use that Bale fellow if he's available. And let Ferris know we're driving to Loughton on Sunday. Thank you."

Whistling a popular music hall tune, Trevor bounded up the sweeping staircase to prepare for his journey.

After services at his local Walsingham parish, Trevor boarded his surrey and settled himself for the ride to Loughton. He rapped the roof of the carriage with his silver-topped walking stick. With a quiet "Giddup, now," from the driver Ferris they jerked forward and were on their way. Trevor lifted the first of a large stack of newspapers in various languages from the seat next to him. He always started with the Stuttgart Zeitung.

Old Fezziwig

Well, that was a real trip for biscuits.
Jamison's eyes grow wide at the offer. The Golden Dawn? Well, yes, I'd surely be interested in that opportunity. "Well, certainly. I'd be more than happy to take a look at Mr. Pellgraine's house with you. I trust that everything here is tip-top and on the up-and-up? That is, we shan't be breaking...too many laws?" Smiling and not waiting for an answer, he offers Frater DEDI a hand. "Half-five then at the Great Eastern Rail Station, Bethnal Green."

Jamison then makes arrangements to be at the station at 5:15 pm. He spends the rest of his time studying some Kant, cleaning his revolver, and sharpening his bowie knife. Can't be too careful, after all.

Karl Green

First Post
Andrew D. Gable said:
Sunday, 23 April, 1893
Andrew Miller, Anglican pastor of St. Nicholas’ church in the Essex town of Loughton, received a visit from one Arthur Pellgraine, a parishioner at his church, after the Sunday service. Pellgraine looked quite agitated, though whether for good or ill Pastor Miller could not say. Pellgraine was a slight young man, with brownish-blond hair and small wire-rimmed spectacles.

"There is a matter at my home which may require some looking into. As a faithful and God-fearing man, I believe that the power of the Anglican Church may be needed. Pastor, as a man I can trust, I ask you if you will please meet me at my home at 7 o’clock this evening."

Andrew sits young Arthur down in a chair and pours some tea for both of them. Listening to the distraught man, Andrew nods his head in understanding "Oh course, oh course dear fellow, I would be more then happy to lend a hand. We are all Gods children after all, and I would be beholding to help any church member in their time of need. Please now, can you tell me a bit more there lad? Anything additional you could say, to the nature of your troubles might go a long way in any assistants I might be able to leand.

[OCC sense motive +11 to get a feel about what he might want]

Ferrix

Explorer
Andrew D. Gable said:
Friday, 21 April, 1893
Aiolos Shaw checks his post one morning and finds he has received a letter from Arthur Pellgraine. After a moment, he has jogged his memory and recalled Pellgraine as a young, rather bookish man he met one day a few months before in the Reading Room at the British Museum. Pellgraine had taken an interest in some of Aiolos' researches, and engaged him in conversation.

In the letter, he asked Mr. Shaw to meet him Sunday evening at 7 o'clock at his home, Pellgraine Hall, in the town of Loughton, about forty-five minutes' train ride to the northeast of London.

Considering the letter for a moment, to get a letter, an invitation no less, from Pellgraine so long since we met, indeed odd. Stuffing the letter in his leather jacket, he continues on to his office at the University.

Upon entering his office, he drapes his jacket across the back of his chair, drops into its cushioned seat, props his feet upon the desk and pulls out his pipe for a puff.

**** Sunday ****

Having settled upon what he assumes to be a clean shirt from his office and some slacks, Aiolos checks the time on his old pocket watch - 5:49 - bah, already going to get to the train station late. Grabbing his leather jacket from the coatrack, he hurries out of his office to catch the train up to Loughton, only to return a minute later to hurridly grab his journal and hat and once again rush off.

Last edited:

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Karl Green said:
Anything additional you could say, to the nature of your troubles might go a long way in any assistants I might be able to leand.[/b]

"Of course, forgive my curtness." Arthur sips his tea and continues. "There have long been tales circulating among the servants at my manor house of bizarre sounds and things, harmless phenomena, to be sure. Now, of course, as an enlightened gentleman of the Nineteenth Century, I am disinclined to believe in such things. But the Pellgraine in me is reluctant to completely discount the possibility of their existence. This evening, I am having a party of fellows from London up to take a look at the place. Given these occurrences, Father, I wish merely to have the strength of God to rely on should things, heaven forbid, go awry."

[Your Sense Motive check reveals that he means what he says - he is genuinely curious]

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Inspector Diggory arrives at the train station promptly at 5:15. He reads one of his books for a few minutes until Frater DEDI shows up, arriving in an expensive-looking coach and tipping the driver handsomely. He's wearing a respectable suit and top hat, and he carries a cane. He walks over to the inspector and tips his hat towards him. "Good evening, Inspector Diggory. Promptly on time and even a bit early, I see. Admirable traits, indeed."

The train itself doesn't depart for a quarter-hour, and until that time DEDI and Diggory engage themselves in conversation about Irish politics, the artifacts found at Lydney, the occult, and other matters of interest.

The train is a bit late, pulling into the station at about 5:48. The two men present their tickets and board the train, DEDI still talking excitedly about Ireland. As the final people board the train, a man clad in the leather jacket of an explorer runs at full speed into the station, hurriedly presenting his tickets. He's the last man to board the train, but board it he has.

The train steams off, heading along an elevated line directly south of Hare Street, between the boroughs of Whitechapel and Bethnal Green.

Karl Green

First Post
Andrew D. Gable said:
"Of course, forgive my curtness." Arthur sips his tea and continues. "There have long been tales circulating among the servants at my manor house of bizarre sounds and things, harmless phenomena, to be sure. Now, of course, as an enlightened gentleman of the Nineteenth Century, I am disinclined to believe in such things. But the Pellgraine in me is reluctant to completely discount the possibility of their existence. This evening, I am having a party of fellows from London up to take a look at the place. Given these occurrences, Father, I wish merely to have the strength of God to rely on should things, heaven forbid, go awry."

[Your Sense Motive check reveals that he means what he says - he is genuinely curious]

Andrew nods his head in sympathy “Yes I can indeed see a cause for corner my man. I will indeed be there tonight, but I am positive that it will be discovered to be the work of some prankster or disgruntled servant. We are on the verge of the 20th century and the mysteries of the world have mostly been solved or at least explained away. The devil does not run lose on the world as he once did, we can safely assume this I assure you” He will finish his tea, and make small talk Arthur until he leaves.

Cleaning up his flat, he also reads over Mathew for an hour or two, and thinks about what a sad state the world is in where such hooligans can run free and terrorize a normally rational man with such foolishness.

That night, he will head to Arthur’s manor, taking a boogie if possible (he has a substantial saving after all) and try and arrive right on time. Dressed in a dark suit and hat, he will also bring his Bible and cross, only as moral support for Arthur.

[OCC – hehehe in for a big surprise I am sure]

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Diggory, DEDI, and the newcomer, an adventurer by the name of Aiolos Shaw, make small talk until the train arrives. At about 6:35 the train clatters into the Loughton station. DEDI has a coach waiting at the station, and he ushers Inspector Diggory in before him. "As you are also summoned to the Pellgraine estate, you are more than welcome to share the ride," he tells Mr. Shaw.

Shortly before 7 o'clock, the coach clatters along the curving approach-road to Pellgraine Hall. Romanesque statuary, images of cavorting fauns and mythical personae, beautifully carved yet eerie in the twilight, line the road. You pull up to the gates of Pellgraine Hall, which are tugged open by a surly-looking groundskeeper, and clatter under the wrought-iron archway bearing the French motto 'Arcadie'. Then the house itself looms into view, an impressive but yet modest home befitting a minor nobleman such as Pellgraine. The coach pulls up on the lawn, the three men exit it, and DEDI tips the driver.

"Welcome, gentlemen, to my own Arcadia!" A blond man, bespectacled and slight, gestures around him. It seems you are not the first to arrive - already present are a smartly-dressed man, evidently a member of the highest ranks of the upper class, and a man of the cloth, clad in dark clothes.

"I, of course, am Arthur Pellgraine. Welcome, Frater DEDI, and who is this with you? And Mr. Shaw, I see. I trust you've been well since our last meeting?" He gestures toward the well-dressed man and the priest. "Allow me to introduce my cousin, Trevor McAllistair, the Baron Walsingham, and our local priest, Andrew Miller."

JimAde

First Post
Trevor executes a short bow and shakes each man's hand in turn, giving them each an embossed introduction card bearing his name, title and mailing address.

"A pleasure to meet you all," he says with a charming smile. "I trust you had a pleasant journey up from the city? You must tell us all the latest news. We get the papers down here, of course, but it's not the same, is it Arthur?"

Remove ads