• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Retraining basic attacks

RigaMortus2

First Post
A basic attack is an at-will attack power that everyone possesses, regardless of class. The power comes in two forms: melee and ranged.

Paragon Multiclassing
If you have the Novice Power, Acolyte Power, and Adept Power feats for a class, you can choose to continue to gain powers from that class rather than take a paragon path. If you choose this option, you gain several benefits.
At 11th level, you can choose to replace one of your at-will powers with an at-will power from your second class.

Since Melee (or Ranged) Basic Attack is considered a power, it seems like you can retrain it with an At-Will from your paragon multiclass. Of course, one of the side-effects to this is, if you retrain the melee basic attack, you won't be able to take OAs, take advantage of the Warlord's Lead the Attack, and other similiar options. That's why I would recommend swapping Ranged Basic Attack if you can afford to.

Anyway, RAW this seems to work...

ryryguy

First Post
Basic Attack may be a power, but it's not a class power. Isn't retraining limited to class powers?

In any case as a DM I certainly wouldn't allow it.

Khime

Explorer
I know logic has little place in a fantasy game setting, but retraining a basic melee attack means you must forget how to punch someone, and retraining a ranged basic attack means you must forget how to pick up a rock and throw it.

I think this would require something a bit more severe than simple retraining. Something involving an icepick to the brain, perhaps.

Slaved

First Post
Retraining the Ranged Basic Attack for an Attack Power like Eldritch Blast or Magic Missile would be entertaining! :p:p:p:p:p

***I no longer Throw Rock, I only Throw Dooooooommm!!!!***

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

ryryguy

First Post
I did check the PHB last night and it does indeed just say "at-will power" for what you get to swap for paragon multiclassing. Not class at-will power, not even level 1 power, so you could in theory swap out a Utility at-will - less crazy than swapping out a basic attack.

It's pretty obvious that the intention was that you swap out a class level 1 at-will power from your old class, since that's what you're swapping in. If it's not errata'd yet it probably will be. That's certainly how I'd rule it as DM in any case.

Chen_93

First Post
I did check the PHB last night and it does indeed just say "at-will power" for what you get to swap for paragon multiclassing. Not class at-will power, not even level 1 power, so you could in theory swap out a Utility at-will - less crazy than swapping out a basic attack.

It's pretty obvious that the intention was that you swap out a class level 1 at-will power from your old class, since that's what you're swapping in. If it's not errata'd yet it probably will be. That's certainly how I'd rule it as DM in any case.

I thought this was changed in the errata to be "at will attack power" so you couldn't go grab those rogue stealth at wills. I don't have access to the errata here though so I can't confirm this.

Bagpuss

Legend
I thought this was changed in the errata to be "at will attack power" so you couldn't go grab those rogue stealth at wills. I don't have access to the errata here though so I can't confirm this.

Nope they changed Dilettante from “an at-will power” to “a 1st-level at-will attack power.” And the Human bonus At-Will to replace “at-will power” with “1st-level at-will attack power.”

They made no change to the multiclassing. So at 11th level with Paragon Multiclassing you could swap one of your 1st level At-Will Attack Powers for a higher level rogue utility At-Will.

But would you want to? The 1st level At-Will Attack Powers are pretty good really. Might be worth doing as a human with your bonus one, but if you want an At-Will Rogue power, pick it up with the feats since the At-Wills still count as Encounter/Daily or Utility Powers as well.

Last edited:

Remove ads