Review Dragon Heist, Mad Mage, and Ravnica!

Three books over on the reviews section need your reviews, comments, or ratings. Please head on over to Waterdeep: Dragon Heist, Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage, and Guildmasters Guide to Ravnica and leave your rating!

Three books over on the reviews section need your reviews, comments, or ratings. Please head on over to Waterdeep: Dragon Heist, Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage, and Guildmasters Guide to Ravnica and leave your rating!

reviews.jpg

Other recent notable books awaiting ratings include Vampire the Masquerade 5th Edition, Warhammer 40K Wrath & Glory Core Rules, and Masks of Nyarlathotep.

The system averages ratings to create an overall trending total once a book has 10 or more reviews.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Hoard of the Dragon Queen, easily the worst 5E book and over 4 years old at this point, is #518 among all books right now on Amazon. The Amazon numbers are not historic sales, but current. The Starfinder Core Rules are #6130 in all books.

The 5E adventures and accessories are moving pretty huge numbers on their own.

Where do you get the numbers? I thought we only got ranks on Amazon. I would suspect the difference between #1 and 5 isn't that big, but #1 and 500 is huge.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
What are they talking about?
I can't stand the D&D subreddit. It feels like 90% of the posts are "Look, I drew my character!" while the other 10% are "Look, I commissioned an artist to draw my character!" The mods tried to ban these types of posts at one point, but the users revolted and continued to post them anyways.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I can't stand the D&D subreddit. It feels like 90% of the posts are "Look, I drew my character!" while the other 10% are "Look, I commissioned an artist to draw my character!" The mods tried to ban these types of posts at one point, but the users revolted and continued to post them anyways.

Reddit seems like a terrible place, it doesn’t help that I find the interface confusing to boot.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Where do you get the numbers? I thought we only got ranks on Amazon. I would suspect the difference between #1 and 5 isn't that big, but #1 and 500 is huge.

There are places that analyze what it means: the point is, the 5E books are moving copies. The four year old AP is still selling on Amazon, and I can get it at my local Barnes & Noble or FLGS.

Rhylthar

Explorer
I made reviews for Dragon Heist and Dungeon of the Mad Mage...but they´re in german and in a german forum . If someone is interested just tell me and I will post the links.

Last edited by a moderator:

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
This is the big issue with adventure reviews IMHO. An adventure that might be a fun read often only reveals its issues when you actually animate it at the table.

And vice versa. Some well designed adventures are fun to play with innovative challenges, good pacing, good map design, and a nice mix of the pillars of play. But they may not give you a lot of flavor text or read-aloud text, making for dry reading.

That's why I prefer reviews written by people who have played through it and can articulate what worked well for their group and what didn't -- especially if they can describe the groups preferred play style. I don't read a review for some know-it-all DM taste-master to tell me if an adventure is "good." I want to know if it would be fun for my group to play.

This is why I'm finding the various "guides to ..." that various folks publish in the DMs Guild to be more useful than most of the reviews I read.

MechaPilot

Explorer
I haven't had much time to write reviews for the more recent products (I've been doing a lot of job hunting lately), but when I do get around to writing a review for Dragon Heist it'll be titled "Not What You Think It Is."

I addressed this in a different thread, but when you read the title "Dragon Heist," you expect to be stealing something from a dragon. When you find out the coins are called dragons some might consider that a clever twist. If the adventure was a heist to steal said coins, I might agree with that sentiment (though probably not). However, the adventure isn't even a heist to steal the dragon-coins. When I read the plot and found out the PCs were basically trying to turn the hoard of coins over to the authorities for a reward, the title is either intentionally misleading or is one of the flattest jokes I've heard in years.

CapnZapp

Legend
You've got to figure the enthusiasm for Forgotten Realms products certainly isn't at its zenith given we've already had a bunch of Realms stuff.
I don't think so at all.

We're getting Realms products because that setting, by far, is the most popular.

Plotless megadungeons and mislabeled not-heists on the other hand, might generate low buzz in any setting.

Remove ads

Remove ads