• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Review of 1D &D VTT

Oofta

Legend
They and DTRPG takes 50%.

DTRPG when exclusive takes 30%.

Itch.io varies.

I expect when they "open it up" and take 25% in the first year, you'll hail it as a great victory. I expect they'll probably aim closer to 45% which will reward DMG developers. 😉

I mean, I know what decisions I would make to maximise short-term profit.

Yes, centralised control increases their control over their property and things that others make.

Do you remember less than 5 years ago when LGBTQ content was taken down more frequently from DTRPG? Eventually they changed their minds for the better.

Goodness you got that from their statements? Well to each their own.

Can you make your own classes on DnDBeyond?

I'm just going by what they've stated previously and presenting some options on how they could maximize profits by being more open. It's not like this is the only VTT out there, it's not first to market, it is not guaranteed any kind of monopoly. Comparing Microsoft and Windows to a VTT that's pretty late to the party (although that does give them some advantages) is pretty meaningless in my opinion.

As far as DDB, there are limits to their initial implementation of technology, it's likely that's part of why they hired so many people.

I get that considering every corporation is evil is common. I think they are self-interested, I simply see no reason they're going to be super restrictive as you're suggesting. We don't really know though, so I'll withhold judgment until we have an actual release.

dave2008

Legend
Is it not very obvious Dave? What incentive does Hasbro have to allow 3pp to develop for its proprietary platform?

I mean, if you were in charge and wanted to monetise the game more what would you do?

Hasbro clearly doesn't feel it needs the 3pp market anymore and honestly with its own success and the DM guild I don't blame it.

Why should they let others profit off their success on their new platform? What's that doing for next quarter's numbers?
OK, so it was just your opinion. Your OP made it seem like these were statements or reveals of the 3D VTT playtest. Thank you for clarifying it. You might want to update you OP too.

PJ Coffey

PJ Coffey (they/them)
I'm just going by what they've stated previously and presenting some options on how they could maximize profits by being more open. It's not like this is the only VTT out there, it's not first to market, it is not guaranteed any kind of monopoly. Comparing Microsoft and Windows to a VTT that's pretty late to the party (although that does give them some advantages) is pretty meaningless in my opinion.

As far as DDB, there are limits to their initial implementation of technology, it's likely that's part of why they hired so many people.

I get that considering every corporation is evil is common. I think they are self-interested, I simply see no reason they're going to be super restrictive as you're suggesting. We don't really know though, so I'll withhold judgment until we have an actual release.

This is growing tedious. I never said they're evil. Greedy and short-termist yes. Woefully misinformed about TTRPG versus computer game culture yes. Evil, pah. There's real evil in the world right now.

I didn't compare them to Windows. Go argue with the person who said that.

What they will have a monopoly on is that they are the official space and the only place to buy D&D branded products. If you don't think that matters then that's fine. We'll have to agree to disagree.

PJ Coffey

PJ Coffey (they/them)
OK, so it was just your opinion. Your OP made it seem like these were statements or reveals of the 3D VTT playtest. Thank you for clarifying it. You might want to update you OP too.
If people mistake me for Daniel Kwan I shall be very flattered.

dave2008

Legend
Well Dave, the article does have the author's name on, so I consider that a clue. 😉
The article noted many people were given access to the playtest. You could have been one of those other people if not the author of the article. Your OP makes it seem like you participated in the playtest. It has become clear that you have not. I'm not even sure you read the article as only the first sentence of your OP has anything to do with the playtest or the linked article.
My website is Homebrew and Hacking which if you have a read round you'll notice is written in a certain style and doesn't provide financial support to substack.
Given your attitude hear I don't think I will be visiting your website. Maybe it is just an internet thing.

PJ Coffey

PJ Coffey (they/them)
The article noted many people were given access to the playtest. You could have been one of those other people if not the author of the article. Your OP makes it seem like you participated in the playtest. It has become clear that you have not. I'm not even sure you read the article as only the first sentence of your OP has anything to do with the playtest or the linked article.

Given your attitude hear I don't think I will be visiting your website. Maybe it is just an internet thing.
Good to know!

Oofta

Legend
This is growing tedious. I never said they're evil. Greedy and short-termist yes. Woefully misinformed about TTRPG versus computer game culture yes. Evil, pah. There's real evil in the world right now.

I didn't compare them to Windows. Go argue with the person who said that.

What they will have a monopoly on is that they are the official space and the only place to buy D&D branded products. If you don't think that matters then that's fine. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Well,
Greedy and short-termist yes. Woefully misinformed about TTRPG versus computer game culture yes
is a lot of words. "Evil" was shorter. ;)

You didn't compare them to Windows, but you refer back to Microsoft business processes so that monopolistic practice came to mind. There's no indication that WOTC will shut off licensing to other VTTs, but even if they do the core rules are in CC with no exception for VTTs. Some people inside WOTC may have been aiming for significant limitations on competing VTTs at one point but that's water under the bridge.

If by "monopoly" you mean only WOTC sells WOTC branded products or licenses their products to other companies that then pay them a percentage of profits, you are correct. Other companies have to say something along the lines of "D&D compatible" for their products. I'm not particularly familiar with how much integration the other VTTs have with DDB, or directly supporting WOTC's version of D&D. I seem to recall there are some that have licensing, I know that when I used Roll20 during COVID lockdown I didn't need any integration to play D&D remotely. It's not really something they could limit even if they wanted to.

Maybe the sky will fall. Maybe WOTC will be short sighted, it was looking like a possibility half a year ago. I just see no indication of that at this point. They changed course and nothing I've seen indicates the doom and gloom you're seeing. Maybe I'm wrong. In any case, it's all vaporware and conjecture until we see an actual product.

PJ Coffey

PJ Coffey (they/them)
Well,

is a lot of words. "Evil" was shorter. ;)
Sir: there are literal fascists walking the streets of the USA. Please do not attribute words to me that I am not using.

You didn't compare them to Windows, but you refer back to Microsoft business processes so that monopolistic practice came to mind.
PC: I have gone back and checked. You should too.
If by "monopoly"
PC: Sir, monopolistic and market-distorting effects can be seen with as little as 1/8th of the market share.

you mean only WOTC sells WOTC branded products or licenses their products to other companies that then pay them a percentage of profits, you are correct.

PC: A strict definition of monopoly merely acts as cover for a de facto monopoly to operate. I find this sophistry disingenuous. The technical definition of this process you are engaged in of mischaracterising what I am saying and then attacking that mischaracterisation is called "straw-manning". Desist.
Maybe the sky will fall. Maybe WOTC will be short sighted, it was looking like a possibility half a year ago. I just see no indication of that at this point. They changed course and nothing I've seen indicates the doom and gloom you're seeing. Maybe I'm wrong. In any case, it's all vaporware and conjecture until we see an actual product.
PC: the process of characterising me as a "chicken little, the sky is falling on my head" type in order to discredit my observations is an ad-hominem attack (attack the person rather than the argument). Desist.

If you have something to say that does not rely on mischaracterising me and my words and arguments, or upon casting aspersions on my integrity, please say it. Otherwise I will put you on ignore and forget about you instantly, you should know that my object permanence is not what it could be and I see no reason not to use that to my advantage. 😀

Edited for typos and clarity.

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
Sir: there are literal fascists walking the streets of the USA. Please do not attribute words to me that I am not using.

PC: I have gone back and checked. You should too.

Sir: monopolistic and market-distorting effects can be seen with as little as 1/8th of the market share.

PC: A strict definition of monopoly merely acts as cover for a de facto monopoly to operate. I find this sophistry disingenuous. The technical definition of this process you are engaged in of mischaracterising what I am saying and then attacking that mischaracterisation is called "straw-manning". Desist.

PC: the process of characterising me as a "chicken little, the sky is falling on my head" type in order to discredit my observations is an ad-hominem attack (attack the person rather than the argument). Desist.

If you have something to say that does not rely on mischaracterising me and my words and arguments, or upon casting aspersions on my integrity, please say it. Otherwise I will put you on ignore and forget about you instantly, you shoudl know that my object permanence is not what it could be and I see no reason not to use that to my advantage. 😀
I never said anything about your character. I just disagree with what you're stating and explained why. Oh, and the admins don't appreciate people warning about putting people on their ignore list.

Tell you what. When a product is actually released, we can discuss the impact of the product at that point. Or not. Later!

Remove ads