D&D (2024) Review of 1D &D VTT

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
not really, a lot of that could be table driven rather than hard coded, allowing for DM customization. And where that fails, the DM can still deactivate / override it

you quite literally are not seeing this, they simply have not shown the DM side yet

As to a 4 month old DNDShorts video, I have no reason whatsoever to believe that he is correct in that, you on the other than insist that he cannot be wrong.

Just in case you were unfamiliar with the term

Oofta

Legend
If it can be done in a video game, like Solasta, I don’t see why it can’t be done in a VTT.
You mean like the lightning bolts that go through walls? ;)

There could be some complexities in a VTT like windows. Does the window block line of effect? Well, is it just an opening or glass? How does the particular DM rule on line of effect and windows? Does the builder specify height of the wall?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
If it can be done in a video game, like Solasta, I don’t see why it can’t be done in a VTT.
Would you say that the average GM puts in a More less or similar amounts of time building the adventure for the average session as the team at tactical adventures did when making a similar amount of content for that multimillion dollar video game? Is it reasonable to expect that level of prep from your GM week after week?

mamba

Legend
Would you say that the average GM puts in a More less or similar amounts of time building the adventure for the average session as the team at tactical adventures did when making a similar amount of content for that multimillion dollar video game? Is it reasonable to expect that level of prep from your GM week after week?
the effort is in the VTT, not the DM prep. The DM draws a map, the VTT has to figure out line of sight etc. based on that / where the walls / trees / etc. are. The information the VTT needs for that will be baked into the assets, not something the DM has to specify, at least if WotC comes up with a sane design ;)

Last edited:

Clint_L

Hero
the effort is in the VTT, not the DM prep. The DM draws a map, the VTT has to figure out line of sight etc. based on that / where the walls / trees / etc. are. The information the VTT needs for that will be baked into the assets, not something the ZDM has to specify, at least if WotC comes up with a sane design ;)
I don't think it will look like that; I don't think there will be that much freedom. I think it will be more like the DM builds a map out of available assets.

mamba

Legend
I don't think it will look like that; I don't think there will be that much freedom. I think it will be more like the DM builds a map out of available assets.
yes, and the assets contain some info, e.g. whether they are passable terrain, whether they block line of sight, etc.

If your objection is to 'draw' vs 'build' a map, oh well, we mean the same thing...

Clint_L

Hero
Perhaps? I'm not sure what you are getting at with "draw" - to me that implies a lot of freedom. I don't think the DM will be able to just draw whatever they imagine and have the VTT execute it. I suspect it will work more like building with modular terrain, where you are pretty strictly limited by the pieces that you have available, and the inventiveness comes in finding interesting ways to arrange them. And then WotC will offer to sell you more pieces for different adventures.

Remove ads