Revised Demons/Daemons/Devils Part Deux!

Aesmael

Explorer
Great to see this back, I am a big fan of your work. :D

One question, though: why do the Gacholoths not have any Disable Device or Trapmaking skill? I would have thought that a given for saboteurs (more the disable device than the trapmaking).

Pants

First Post
Aesmael said:
One question, though: why do the Gacholoths not have any Disable Device or Trapmaking skill? I would have thought that a given for saboteurs (more the disable device than the trapmaking).
Just an oversight on my part. :)

I've got a bunch of fiends sitting in limbo at the moment. About 4 new devils and the revised Spyder-Fiends (from the Rod of Seven Parts adventure). I sent in a query for Dragon on them, but I haven't gotten a response yet (about two weeks so far). I'll probably just end up posting them here soon.

zeo_evil

First Post
Advanced Shadoloth - This one is for Pants.

Thanks for the perfect fiend for my new campaign. Here a unique shadoloth that works for Shar from Faerun through drow worshippers (i.e. he is bringing them knowledge of the Shadow Weave). What I am hoping the gang can do is help me come up with an awesome name for this guy. Something drow even though oloth is the word for shadows according to the Drow of the Underdark. Sorry about the stat block format.

Narazculthon: CR 26; Large outsider (evil, extraplanar); HD 31d8+217; hp 356; Init +14; Spd 50 ft.; AC 31, touch 24, flat-footed 21; Base Atk +31; Grp +42; Atk +40 melee (3d6+7 plus poison, claw) or +40 ranged (2d6+3 plus poison, spine); Full Atk +40 melee (3d6+7 plus poison, 4 claws) and +40 melee (2d6+3, bite) and +40 melee (1d8+3) or spine +40 ranged (2d6+3 plus poison, tail slap); Space/Reach 10 ft./10 ft.; SA poison, sneak attack +10d6, spell-like abilities, spine, summon shadow; SQ cloak of shadows, DR 15/good and epic, darkvision 120 ft., FH 3, immunity to acid and poison, improved evasion, resistance to cold 20 and electricity 20 and fire 20, see in darkness, shadow communication, SR 44, spider climb, telepathy 100 ft., true seeing, uncanny dodge; AL NE; SV Fort +24, Ref +27, Will +23; Str 25, Dex 30, Con 25, Int 24, Wis 22, Cha 22.

Skills and Feats: Balance +48, Bluff +44, Concentration +41, Diplomacy +48, Disguise +40 (+44 acting), Escape Artist +44, Hide +40, Intimidate +10, Jump +45, Knowledge (the planes) +41, Listen +40, Move Silently +44, Sense Motive +44, Spot +40, Tumble +48, Use Magic Device +40; Blinding Speed, Combat Expertise, Dire Charge, Dodge, Fast Healing, Improved Darkvision, Improved Feint, Improved Initiative, Improved Multiattack, Multiattack, Weapon Finesse.

This sleek and sinister creature is roughly humanoid in appearance, except for its four powerfully built chest and arms and arachnid-like head. A long reptilian tail emerges out of the creature’s back and onto the ground. Small barbed spines cover the creature’s wide back and run down its arms. Its clawed four-fingered hands drip with a viscous substance.

Narazculthon’s natural weapons, as well as any weapons he wields, are treated as epic-aligned and evil-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Cloak of Shadows (Su): Narazculthon is always shrouded in a cloak of insubstantial shadowstuff which grants him a +5 deflection bonus to Armor Class and a +10 circumstance bonus on Hide checks.

Poison (Ex): Narazculthon delivers his poison (Fort DC 32) with each successful claw or spine attack. Initial and secondary damage are the same (1d8 Str). The save DC is Constitution-based.

See in Darkness (Su): Narazculthon sees perfectly in darkness of any kind, even that created by deeper darkness spells.

Shadow Communication (Su): As a standard action, Narazculthon can send a communication to a remote location fully shrouded in darkness inclding the area of a darkness spell. Narazculthon can speak to any of its own followers, and to anyone within one mile away from a site dedicated to him, or within one mile away from a statue or other likeness of him. The creature being contacted can receive a telepathic message that only it can hear. Alternatively, Narazculthon’s voice can seem to issue from the darkness or from some object of Narazculthon’s choosing (but not an object or locale dedicated to a deity). In the latter case, anyone within earshot of the sound can hear it. Narazculthon can send a manifestation or omen instead of a spoken or telepathic message. The exact nature of this communication varies, but it usually is some visible phenomenon. Narazculthon’s communication power can cross planes and penetrate any barrier. Once communication is initiated, Narazculthon can continue communicating as a free action until he decides to end the communication. Narazculthon can carry on one shadow communication at a time.

Sneak Attack (Ex): Anytime Narazculthon’s target is denied a Dexterity bonus, or when a target is flanked by Narazculthon, he deals an additional 10d6 points of damage on a successful attack.

Spell-like Abilities: At will-acid fog, deeper darkness, freedom of movement, greater dispel magic, greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only), haste, polymorph (self only), veil (DC 22); 3/day-power word blind; 1/day-blasphemy (DC 23), unholy aura (DC 24). Caster level 20th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Spider Climb (Sp): Narazculthon is constantly under the effect of a spider climb spell (caster level 20th). He can pause or resume this effect as a free action on his turn.

Spine (Ex): Narazculthon’s arms and back are lined with small barbed spines. As a standard action, he can launch a spine as a ranged attack with a range of 80 feet (no range increment). The spines that are launched grow back immediately. Additionally, anyone grappling Narazculthon automatically takes spine and poison damage each round.

Summon Shadow (Sp): Once per day Narazculthon can automatically summon 1d6 shadows or 1 greater shadow. Any shadows spawned by the summoned shadows become uncontrolled when the shadow that created them is destroyed or returns from whence it came. This is the equivalent of an 8th-level spell.

True Seeing (Su): Narazculthon has a continuous true seeing ability, as the spell (caster level 20th).

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): Narazculthon retains his Dexterity bonus to Armor Class even when caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker, and he cannot be flanked except by a rogue of 33rd-level or higher. He can flank characters that also have uncanny dodge as if it were a 29th-level rogue.

Skills: A Narazculthon has a +4 racial bonus on Bluff and Sense Motive checks.

Last edited:

Pants

First Post
zeo_evil said:
Thanks for the perfect fiend for my new campaign. Here a unique shadoloth that works for Shar from Faerun through drow worshippers (i.e. he is bringing them knowledge of the Shadow Weave).
Ooh, snazzy. :)

Since he's essentially an epic being, you could boost his DR to 15/good and epic or 15/good and silver and epic.

As for names, I'm really bad about coming up with names. Usually what I do is translate a word into another language and then mutilate it until it resembles something nonsucky. Google Language Tools works for me since I really don't care if the translation is exact.

Translating 'shadow' into different languages didn't bring up anything cool. However, translating Darkness did.

Nerezzoloth could work.
Narzacluthton sounds fiendish. It's horribly unpronouncable and it has lots of consonants! :)

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Pants said:
Just an oversight on my part. :)

I've got a bunch of fiends sitting in limbo at the moment. About 4 new devils and the revised Spyder-Fiends (from the Rod of Seven Parts adventure). I sent in a query for Dragon on them, but I haven't gotten a response yet (about two weeks so far). I'll probably just end up posting them here soon.
Ooh... Spyder-Fiends... and the Rod does play a minor role in the Age of Worms in Dungeon, which means either they'll take it for the synergy or they'll ignore it because they already have theirs coming (which is what happened to my hordling conversion).

Good luck on that, and I look forward to updates.
Demiurge out.

zeo_evil

First Post
Pants said:
Ooh, snazzy. :)

Since he's essentially an epic being, you could boost his DR to 15/good and epic or 15/good and silver and epic.

As for names, I'm really bad about coming up with names. Usually what I do is translate a word into another language and then mutilate it until it resembles something nonsucky. Google Language Tools works for me since I really don't care if the translation is exact.

Translating 'shadow' into different languages didn't bring up anything cool. However, translating Darkness did.

Nerezzoloth could work.
Narzacluthton sounds fiendish. It's horribly unpronouncable and it has lots of consonants! :)

Done and done. Thank you. I don't know they will ever meet him but I intend to use the shadow communication all the time to mess with their heads. He runs a brothel and gambling house where he gives young succubae the opportunity to hone their skills while collecting information to blackmail the drow who run the city (in addition to many other bad things). However he was forced into serving Shar. Poor guy.

Started the new game today (Sunday). How does this sound for an evil adventuring party all ECL 5. All follow Shar.

Changeling Battle Sorcerer 3/Half-Fiend 2 (template class by Sean K Reynolds)
Human Paragon 3/Cleric 2
Shadow Human Fighter 3
Succubus (Savage Species) 5

Oh! I forgot to add that he has had a hand in new shadoloths taking the Shadow Weave Magic feat from Player's Guide to Faerun thus giving them spell-like abilities that use the Shadow Weave.

Last edited:

Pants

First Post
Laeryluth (Water Devil)

Here's another new one. Not my favorite work really, but I'll let everyone judge for themselves.

LAERYLUTH (WATER DEVIL)
Large Outsider (Aquatic, Baatezu, Evil, Extraplanar, Lawful)
Hit Dice: 9d8+45 (85 hp)
Initiative: +8
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), swim 60 ft.
Armor Class: 23 (-1 size, +4 Dex, +10 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 19
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+19
Attack: +1 trident +16 melee (2d6+7) or claw +14 melee (1d6+6)
Full Attack: +1 trident +16/+11 melee (2d6+7) and bite +9 melee (1d6+3) and tail slap +9 melee (1d8+3) or 2 claws +14 melee (1d6+6) and bite +9 melee (1d6+3) and tail slap +9 melee (1d8+3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved grab, constrict 2d6+6, spell-like abilities, summon baatezu
Special Qualities: Amphibious, damage reduction 10/good, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to fire and poison, immunities, resistance to cold 10 and acid 10, see in darkness, spell resistance 21, telepathy 100 ft.
Saves: Fort +11, Ref +10, Will +8
Abilities: Str 22, Dex 19, Con 21, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 18
Skills: Concentration +17, Diplomacy +10, Escape Artist +14*, Hide +12, Intimidate +16, Move Silently +16, Sense Motive +18*, Spot +14, Survival +14, Swim +26*
Feats: Improved Bull Rush, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (trident)
Environment: Nine Hells of Baator
Organization: Solitary, pair, team (2-5), or patrol (1 amnizu, 2-5 laeryluth)
Challenge Rating: 9
Treasure: Standard plus +1 trident
Alignment: Always lawful evil
Advancement: 10-18 HD (Large); 19-27 HD (Huge)

This creature is a bizarre amalgamation of fish and man. The upper half of the creature’s body is humanoid, while its lower portion ends in a long, sinuous fish tail. The creature’s entire body is covered in blood red scales that seem to ooze a slimy, black substance. Its head is humanoid, though its mouth is overly large and ringed with yellow fangs and its eyes are bulbous and covered in a thin film. A thin, yellow crest runs from the center of its forehead down to the base of its neck. Yellow fins also run down its muscled arms. Thin webbing connects its five, clawed fingers together on each hand.

Laeryluths, also called water devils, patrol the fiendish waterways that snake their way throughout the nine layers of Hell. Many prowl the River Styx and they are often found working with teams of amnizus.

Laeryluths are most often encountered with Avernus and Stygia. Bel relies on teams of amnizus and laeryluths to patrol the River Styx, usually on the lookout for marraenoloths. Because of their similar roles, laeryluths and hydroloths hate each other and attack on site (unless commanded not to by a more powerful superior). When clashes between these two fiends do occur, onlookers often notice violent waves and rapidly shifting currents on the surface of the Styx. Such clashes usually end in the hydroloth’s favor, thus, many laeryluths hold bitter grudges against their yugoloth enemies.

Laeryluths are about 9 feet long and weigh roughly 1,000 pounds.

COMBAT
Laeryluths are the first defense against any demonic attacks that come down the River Styx. Laeryluth teams swim deep beneath its treacherous surface, watching for any ‘unregistered’ activity. In the event that any such activity is found the commanding laeryluth surfaces in an attempt to discover the trespassers’ motives. If a good enough bribe is offered or the trespasser produces the appropriate paperwork, the creature is released. If not, then the commanding laeryluth gives the signal and the rest of the team surfaces beneath the boat giving the trespassers a nice, wet, Baatorian welcome. Any surviving creatures are rounded up and taken back to the amnizus for slave labor and torturing.

A laeryluth’s natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as evil-aligned and lawful-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Amphibious (Ex): Although laeryluths are aquatic, they can survive indefinitely on land.

Constrict (Ex): On a successful grapple check, a laeryluth deals 2d6+6 points of damage.

Immunities (Ex): Laeryluths are immune to the adverse effects of the River Styx and due to their constant immersion in those fiendish waters, they are also immune to all mind-affecting spells and effects.

Improved Grab: To use this ability, the laeryluth must hit with a tail slap attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict.

A laeryluth that is constricting cannot use its tail slap attack. The laeryluth has the option of only using its tail to grapple its opponent (-20 penalty on grapple checks, but the laeryluth is not considered grappled).

Spell-Like Abilities: At will – control water, darkness, desecrate, detect good, detect chaos, greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only); 3/day – confusion (DC 18), ice storm, summon monster IV (fiendish aquatic animals only); 1/day – cone of cold (DC 19). Caster level 9th. The save DC’s are Charisma-based.

Summon Baatezu (Sp): Once per day, a laeryluth can attempt to summon another laeryluth with a 40% chance of success. This is the equivalent of a 4th-level spell.

Skills: A laeryluth has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line. The laeryluth also has a +4 racial bonus on Escape Artist and Sense Motive checks.

Almost done with the Narzugon.

Last edited:

Pants

First Post
Narzugon

NARZUGON
Medium Outsider (Baatezu, Evil, Extraplanar, Lawful)
Hit Dice: 11d8+66 (115 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 20 ft. (on foot, with armor) (4 squares) or (with mount) 40 ft. (8 squares), fly 90 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 29 (+1 Dex, +8 natural, +8 masterwork spiked full plate, +2 heavy steel shield), touch 11, flat-footed 28
Base Attack/Grapple: +11/+17
Attack: +1 lance +19 melee (1d8+7) or masterwork longsword +18 melee (1d8+6)
Full Attack: +1 lance +19/+14/+9 melee (1d8+7) or masterwork longsword +18/+13/+8 melee (1d8+6)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Baleful gaze, spell-like abilities, summon baatezu
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/good, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to fire and poison, resistance to cold 10 and acid 10, see in darkness, spell resistance 23, telepathy 100 ft.
Saves: Fort +13, Ref +12, Will +10
Abilities: Str 22, Dex 21, Con 23, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 18
Skills: Concentration +20, Diplomacy +6, Handle Animal +18, Intimidate +18, Knowledge (the planes) +17, Listen +17, Ride +21, Search +17, Sense Motive 17, Spellcraft +17, Spot +17, Survival +17 (+19 when on other planes and when following tracks)
Feats: Mounted Combat, Ride-By Attack, Spirited Charge, Weapon Focus (lance)
Environment: Nine Hells of Baator
Organization: Solitary (with mount), pair (with mounts), or division (2-5, all with mounts)
Challenge Rating: 11
Treasure: Standard plus +1 lance, masterwork spiked full plate, and heavy steel shield
Alignment: Always lawful evil
Advancement: 12-33 HD (Medium), or by character class

Clad entirely in black, spiked armor, this creature rides into view atop a charnel black horse with hooves of flame. A long, dark lance is tucked underneath one arm and a steel shield is strapped to the other. A black, hideous helm covered in spikes and topped by a pair of curved ram’s horns, covers its face.

The narzugon are the elite cavalry of Baator. They ride into battle atop their nightmare mounts, ripping and cutting their way through the demonic ranks in viciously efficient formations. The narzugons also act as a recovery service for escapees. Whenever an important hostage or creature escapes from Baator, narzugons are dispatched to hunt it down. They narzugons respond with brutal efficiency and with none of the petty infighting that commonly plagues fiendish ranks.

The face of a narzugon is the stuff of nightmares and whispered rumors. Some claim that the narzugon has no face, just a pair of burning, white eyes on completely smooth, pale skin. In battle, when a narzugon unveils its face, the skin twists and warps into whatever the creature fears most. Whatever the truth, those who have seen a narzugon’s ‘true’ face and survived are few and far between.

Narzugons stand 6 feet tall and weigh 220 pounds.

COMBAT

Narzugon are efficient tacticians. They ride into battle and open the visors (a free action) on their helms as soon as they are within range. They terror of a narzugon charge is a vision of terrible beauty (for those not on the receiving end of their lances…) to behold. Some of the most devastating victories of the Blood War have been near single-handedly won by narzugon charges.

A narzugon’s natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as evil-aligned and lawful-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Baleful Gaze (Su): Shaken for 3d4 rounds, range 30 feet; Will DC 19 negates. This is a mind-affecting fear effect.

Additionally, the narzugon can choose to narrow its gaze and focus it one creature. It can do this as a free action once per round. If it chooses to narrow its gaze, the narzugon chooses one creature within 40 ft. that the narzugon must be able to see. The target must also be able to see the narzugon. The target is affected as if by a phantasmal killer spell (caster level 11th). The DC to save against both effects is 19. A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected again by the same narzugon’s narrowed baleful gaze for 24 hours (though it can still be shaken by its gaze attack). The save DC’s are Charisma-based.

Spell-Like Abilities: At will – desecrate, detect good, detect chaos, greater teleport (self and mount plus 50 pounds of objects only), hold person (DC 16), suggestion (DC 17); 3/day – major image (DC 17), order’s wrath (DC 18), unholy blight (DC 18); 1/day – wall of fire. Caster level 11th. The save DC’s are Charisma-based.

Summon Baatezu (Sp): Once per day, a narzugon can attempt to summon 1d4 barbazu or 1d3 erinyes with a 60% chance of success. This is the equivalent of a 5th-level spell.

Last edited:

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
The laeryluth is nice and simple, and I like the description; I see them as further evolved deep ones in my mind's eye (of course, that's because I've been reading a lot of Lovecraft). And I'm very fond of the reworked narzugon, especially how it's now more overt that it's based on the Nazgul (with the Baatorian recovery units).

Demiurge out.

Remove ads