• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Revised DR

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Re: I enjoy arguing

I think it does NOT apply in cases with blunt weapons. In my experience (YMMV) most characters only take blunt weapons as a style decision, or if they are limited to simple weapons. For instance, a dwarf fighter who "sees" dwarfs carrying a warhammer. Or a cleric whose best weapon option is a morningstar. Someone who thinks the flail is a cool idea, or someone who wants to break the spiked chain. None of these people chose a blunt weapon for blunt damage, they chose it for other reasons.

My mileage does vary :)

In the game I run, the paladin and cleric, from creation, carried longsword and morningstar. (They didn't believe in ranged combat :) ). Any time anything looked vaguely undead, they switched to the blunt weapon - it cost them one point of attack bonus from weapon focus (longsword), but the characters knew from their Smite Evil 101 classes at Heironeous College that some undead are resistant to slashing weapons.

From second level, every character carried at least some silver - dagger, arrows, or silver-tipped spear. They asked around in town, and were told that most adventurers who went into the Old Forest bought something silver before they left. It certainly stood them in good stead when they met the Giant Black Carnivorous Flying Weresquirrel (who incidentally bit and infected the monk). Since then they've met one or two monsters with silver DR - mostly undead and outsiders, from memory - and there are still only a couple of magic weapons in the party at level 5, so they're glad of the silver they picked up early on.

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Re: Re: Re: No golfbags...

Oh, but if he is bringing a spellcaster, they can just cast Golden Weapon on the weapon. No need for the golf bag, then.

Oh, I see!

So instead of the golf bag - a one-time outlay of a few thousand gold pieces that the fighter can carry around and never think about again unless the situation comes up - the spellcasters should either a/ waste precious slots each day preparing Silver Weapon, Golden Weapon, Holysilver Weapon, and Cold Iron Weapon instead of Fireball, Dimension Door, and Hold Person... or b/ carry around a golf bag of one-use scrolls of Silver Weapon, Golden Weapon, Holysilver Weapon, and Cold Iron Weapon... which likely cost more than the weapons would!

Good plan :)

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: No golfbags...

Compared to casting GMW on everything, I think it is.

GMW is rarely a wasted spell, though - it has benefits whether or not you meet anything with DR.

Golden Weapon, most of the time, would be a waste of a slot.

-Hyp.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: No golfbags...

Hypersmurf said:
GMW is rarely a wasted spell, though - it has benefits whether or not you meet anything with DR.

Golden Weapon, most of the time, would be a waste of a slot.
But you don't know whether or not you are going to meet anything with DR till you've gotten back to safety: You won't use it on a DR 0 critter 'cos what are you going to use if the DR critter attacks? And if it doesn't - which you'll only know when you're back to base - it is a wasted spell..

But it is true: GMW has more uses than Golden Weapon. But then Golden Weapon is a Level 0 spell, and GMW is a level 3 spell. Thus, you might lose out on a Ray of Frost because you prepared Golden Weapon, but at least you didn't lose out on a Fireball.

And as to cost... 13 GP per scroll of Golden / Silvered / Nutella Weapon is hardly going to break anybody's budget.

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Well, hey, if we're assuming level 0 (I must admit, I was envisioning Golden Weapon as level 2 or 3, for no particular reason), forget the golf bag... a modified scabbard of keen edges that can zap a sword with a Golden, Silver, Holysilver, Cold Iron Weapon cantrip three times per day should be... what, 5k gold?

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf said:
Well, hey, if we're assuming level 0 (I must admit, I was envisioning Golden Weapon as level 2 or 3, for no particular reason), forget the golf bag... a modified scabbard of keen edges that can zap a sword with a Golden, Silver, Holysilver, Cold Iron Weapon cantrip three times per day should be... what, 5k gold?
Sounds reasonable. :)

(BTW here's the link to the Silvered Weapon spell, if you or others missed it: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/mc/mc20020130a)

Merlion

First Post
Hello All

Greetings all. I just joined this board I've been reading the thread for the past couple of hours. its very interesting.
I have two things I would like to say.
I agree with RigaMortis that everyone saying that the new DR rules "punish" people who decide not to carry a large assortment of weapons for roleplay reasons is, in some ways a bit silly. Many, many things in the game...especialy monster abilities are made to "punish" the players. As in make there lives diffacult. Because, thats what the monsters are there for. Now yes if it renders fighters so reduced in power that the fighter dies in every encounter with such a creature, thats a bit much...but I dont really see that happening. Yes, others will outshine the fighter at times...just as the fighter will outshine other party members at other times. I see the new rules as an attempt to better reflect myth and literature...a few creatures of myth could only be hurt by certain things...lycanthropes and especialy fey being good examples. Now yes I think they should perhaps also do something that makes spells less effective against such beings, if weapon-magic isnt going to get past there DR. Also no where has it been said that ALL creatures with DR will be getting special matrial DR. My guess is many will still be bypassed by a certain enhancement bonus. So only encounters with certain special, mythic beings will really be altered by the new special-material aspect....not all encounters with beings with DR.
Also everyone seems to have forgotten that in the case of the pit-fiend, this is all largely moot anyway since even if you have a plain old +2 sword and get past its DR you still have to have a holy or blessed weapon to do true damage to it due to its regeneration :::)
Overall it might have been better as an optional rule, but I understand and largely agree with there reasons for putting it in.

Merlion

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads