D&D 5E Revisited Setting News: Its not the 2023 Classic setting, but rather for 2024

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Right...but the new to 5E classic settings are not the revisited 5E setting. They're separate things. They specified that the revisited setting was one they already did for 5E. So they're revisiting a setting that already had material published for it in 5E. That doesn't mean it has to be a setting book. This qualifies. A cameo is a small, walk-on appearance. This doesn't qualify. A full book about one setting isn't a cameo. This is a revisit to a setting they've already published in 5E.

Winninger has already confirmed via Twitter that the setting revisit is happening in 2024, so this is not that either.

Right...but the new to 5E classic settings are not the revisited 5E setting. They're separate things. They specified that the revisited setting was one they already did for 5E. So they're revisiting a setting that already had material published for it in 5E. That doesn't mean it has to be a setting book. This qualifies. A cameo is a small, walk-on appearance. This doesn't qualify. A full book about one setting isn't a cameo. This is a revisit to a setting they've already published in 5E.

But, unless I've really overslept, it isn't 2024, which is when they said the revisit would take place. And they said that it would be a full setting-type book, which this isn't.

This is definitively not the revisit.

(By the way, you're posting in a thread that even says the revisit is in 2024 in the title!)

Last edited:

You know, the more I think about it, I think we'll be seeing a "cleaned up" version of the Realms with some of the problematic issues with races and cultures updated and/or downplayed (if not outright removed, although they'll probably do pruning only when necessary). That's definitely the way things are moving in general, and, specifically, we already know how they're updating the drow in the setting.

GuyBoy

Hero
You know, the more I think about it, I think we'll be seeing a "cleaned up" version of the Realms with some of the problematic issues with races and cultures updated and/or downplayed (if not outright removed, although they'll probably do pruning only when necessary). That's definitely the way things are moving in general, and, specifically, we already know how they're updating the drow in the setting.
A cleaned up version would be just fine, perhaps with some original innovations too, but I just hope it’s Greyhawk rather than FR.
Greyhawk fits the 50th so much better and allows for player agency so much more than the “Elminster deals with it, or Drizz’t does” of FR.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Probably after Call of the Netherdeep. I reckon that the individual "Multiverse" Monster book isn't necessarily a real "slot" for release, since it is reprints, so maybe we'll see Spelljammer as soon as May or June.
Don't they usually layer that a bit? Like one book is a few weeks out then they start hyping up the next one.

"I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the phlo' from me."

Li Shenron

Legend
By "Revisit" they probably mean what they did with Curse of Strahd (removal of racial-sensitive and alignment-related issues) plus rules updates depending on what they're planning to change in core. So to me it sounds like it'll be either a reprint of SCAG or the Eberron book.

The 2023-2024 settings are much more interesting. We don't know yet what they really picked. Dragonlance, Spelljammer and Planescape are all good bets.

I wouldn't be so confident about Dark Sun. Magic and religion are so significantly different that 2/3 of the PHB classes would need serious adjustments. At least it wouldn't work with newcomers to D&D, which we know WotC always cares a lot for, you can't tell them to buy the PHB and then go straight to a fantasy setting where most of the book is invalid for.

I think there will be a completely new FR setting book in 2024 to go with the 5.5 core rules releasing in that year. It won't take the form of an all-encompassing gazetteer the OP wants though, I expect it will still focus on the Sword Coast region, gods and factions.

Remove ads