D&D 5E Revisited Setting News: Its not the 2023 Classic setting, but rather for 2024

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
Thanks for this.
I guess there could be a debate about what “already published” means. I can only hope that Saltmarsh opens the way for it to be Greyhawk.
Perhaps it’s my grognard tendencies, perhaps the historian in me, but I see big anniversaries as reflective on the past ( plus nodding towards a positive future) and Greyhawk seems to offer the best way to do that as it also opens up for revisiting classic adventures such as Tsojcanth and Tharizdun
Yeah, that's all true. But keep in mind, given their track record, they have no problem ripping Tsojcanth and Tharizdun locations and just putting them in FR or whatever. That's not a prerequisite.

Likewise, I agree Greyhawk is a tough needle to thread. I think it can be done, but will it be worth it? As the D&D audience skews younger, there's less return on investment for it (something which unfortunately also applies for my great hope, a return to Dragonlance). While 5e has used released plenty of products that recall older editions (Curse of Strahd, Ravenloft, Ghosts of Saltmarsh), a Greyhawk setting is inherently fraught with conflicting audiences.

But, like I've said before, I'm frequently wrong about speculating over what the next release will be, so that naturally means it will in fact be Greyhawk.

I like Greyhawk alot. But yeah, you can't win there. By either describing things too much or too little you are upsetting somebody. By picking a date that is post 576CY or not you are upsetting someone. By treating Living Greyhawk as canon you are upsetting some and not others etc etc. I don't know that other settings have that sort of existing schism already built in like Greyhawk does, so adapting other settings is likely easier.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Greyhawk would be amazing!
Yes, I'd love if WotC would publish it! I'm not too concerned about which version they would choose, as I'm sure I would find plenty of material to use in any event... Personally, I've never used the 2e timeline, but I've still pilfered extensively from the products of that era. :)

darjr

I crit!
Yes, I'd love if WotC would publish it! I'm not too concerned about which version they would choose, as I'm sure I would find plenty of material to use in any event... Personally, I've never used the 2e timeline, but I've still pilfered extensively from the products of that era. :)
I’ve said that they should give Greyhawk to GaryCon like they let Winter Fantasy use the isles and Gameholecon use the Borderkingdoms.

Let Luke make new Greyhawk content. Or let him get it made.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
Yeah, same. I liked having the option to look at books and go, yeah I like the Great Kingdom collapse here, or what the Scarlet Brotherhood ends up doing etc, and putting that in my game's advancing timeline. I'm not one of those timeline absolutists.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Thanks for this.
I guess there could be a debate about what “already published” means. I can only hope that Saltmarsh opens the way for it to be Greyhawk.
Perhaps it’s my grognard tendencies, perhaps the historian in me, but I see big anniversaries as reflective on the past ( plus nodding towards a positive future) and Greyhawk seems to offer the best way to do that as it also opens up for revisiting classic adventures such as Tsojcanth and Tharizdun.
I too am hoping for Greyhawk, and the Saltmarsh is the gateway, but I am resigned to it being FR.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Not to be insensitive, but what would you actually want from WotC for a 5e version of Greyhawk? As far as rules go, it's pretty bog-standard, with little to no new rules needed. And all the lore is legally available through DMs Guild.

BRayne

Adventurer
With the timing of it being in 2024 and Call of the Netherdeep suggesting that Tal'Dorei Reborn may have been independently published for reasons other than "Matt doesn't want to make books for WotC". It feels reasonably likely that the setting revisit may end up being "Traveler's Guide to Marquet"

Remove ads