D&D 5E Revisited Setting News: Its not the 2023 Classic setting, but rather for 2024

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The 4 plausible candidates for the 2024 revisit are Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Eberron, and Exandria.

I think Greyhawk has the edge for 50th Anniversary marketing reasons, but Forgotten Realms seems highly likely too.

Bolares

Hero
The 4 plausible candidates for the 2024 revisit are Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Eberron, and Exandria.

I think Greyhawk has the edge for 50th Anniversary marketing reasons, but Forgotten Realms seems highly likely too.
I don't really know what would a new Eberron setting book would do... I'd be way more interested in an Eberron adventure or something like that.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don't really know what would a new Eberron setting book would do... I'd be way more interested in an Eberron adventure or something like that.
Yeah, that the least likely possibility, but I thought I'd throw it out there. Rising from the Last War only covers one co tiniest, so I could see an exploration of one of the other continents being appealing...but given the 2024 coincidence with the rule revamp, I think it has to be something iconic and core Heroic Fantasy...so probably Greyhawk or the Forgotten Realms.

Bolares

Hero
Yeah, that the least likely possibility, but I thought I'd throw it out there. Rising from the Last War only covers one co tiniest, so I could see an exploration of one of the other continents being appealing...but given the 2024 coincidence with the rule revamp, I think it has to be something iconic and core Heroic Fantasy...so probably Greyhawk or the Forgotten Realms.
X'endrik and Sarlonna already got a book in 3e and argonessen and aerenal are very niche for a whole 5e book IMHO. Lore from older books functions really well in Eberron so, even with being a die hard fan I don't know how much use I'd get from a new WotC setting book. (I want however more Keith baker DM guild books, because he can go very niche like he did in exploring eberron).

Wizards has handled the 5e product line ably and I have to give them the benefit of the doubt. And yet, this all seems like such a terrible idea.

BSG.jpg

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Dark Sun is more popular than Spelljammer. At a guess, Dark Sun is more likely, but anything is possible.

Exactly. So if one of the settings is Dark Sun, then they’re more likely to alter the setting rather than core PHB content.

That said, I think it’s oversold how much PHB stuff would need altering or removing to fit Dark Sun. Just change some fluff of the core classes and you’re mostly there. Add in rules for defiling and weapon breakage, and you’re basically done.

Spelljammer is in my mind a lock for this year. The UA races screamed Spelljammer, like it wasn't hiding it's Spelljammer roots in any way (and didn't try to).

And on the last episode of Dragon Talk, Greg Tito hinted about a sci-fi product coming for D&D (he linked it to his own Star Trek podcast). That, combined with the cover with a space hamster/Beholder on it... I mean, Spelljammer is coming sometime this year.

That said, the type of product, being perhaps an adventure like Witchlight (which also included new races) or a new setting book, is more debateable.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
And on the last episode of Dragon Talk, Greg Tito hinted about a sci-fi product coming for D&D (he linked it to his own Star Trek podcast). That, combined with the cover with a space hamster/Beholder on it... I mean, Spelljammer is coming sometime this year.
He has a Star Trek podcast?

I mean, I guess I shouldn't be surprised considering he wrote D&D but with spreadsheets.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Spelljammer is in my mind a lock for this year. The UA races screamed Spelljammer, like it wasn't hiding it's Spelljammer roots in any way (and didn't try to).

That said, the type of product, being perhaps an adventure like Witchlight (which also included new races) or a new setting book, is more debateable.
Honestly I hope it's both a la Ravenloft with Curse and Van Richten's. The more Spelljammer the better.

But also the more Dark Sun the better.

Remove ads