D&D 5E Revisited Setting News: Its not the 2023 Classic setting, but rather for 2024

Parmandur

Book-Friend
We've seen something similar with Magic recently. They didn't come back to Dominaria for years, because they didn't feel it offered something to newer audiences. So they transformed Dominaria in to a "history" plane. Stories there now focus on the rich history of the plane, and it's interaction with past and present. Maybe Greyhawk could be something like that for D&D?
Exactly. Indeed, because Greyhawk is relatively lightly drawn out, that leaves 0lenty of room for reinvention and bringing old tropes up to date with current mores.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
From here:

"The popularity of settings in the survey fell into three distinct clusters. Not surprisingly, our most popular settings from prior editions landed at the top of the rankings, with Eberron, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, Planescape, and the Forgotten Realms all proving equally popular. Greyhawk, Dragonlance, and Spelljammer all shared a similar level of second-tier popularity, followed by a fairly steep drop-off to the rest of the settings.
Ha thank you for the link. It's a good indications of the possible campaign settings to come.

Plaguescarred

1. Eberron, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, Planescape, Forgotten Realms
2. Greyhawk, Dragonlance, Spelljammer
3. Everything else
So what they say is that Dark Sun and Planescape require significant new material to function while Greyhawk and Dragonlance are easier to run with material from past editions. So we may be going in space and desert my friends! ☺

Plaguescarred

I feel sad for Mystara as i literally started D&D in Darokin! My humble start with B/X featured the Known World as default setting but i guess it's not that popular anymore.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So what they say is that Dark Sun and Planescape require significant new material to function while Greyhawk and Dragonlance are easier to run with material from past editions. So we may be going in space and desert my friends! ☺
Sure, the 2"Classic Settings" coming in 2022 are drawing good odds to be Planescape and Dark Sun, in my book.

Plaguescarred

For brand new campaign setting, they could do another fan contest like they did early in the millenium. It turned out a very popular and fun setting !

Or undust the campaign setting that came 2nd?! IIRC it was an aquatic setting but i may be wrong.

Remove ads