• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Revisiting RAW Darkness Spell

No, it's lightly obscured "as far as that creature is concerned" because the creature sees in darkness "as if" it were dim light. The one to one relationship between illumination and obscurement is preserved. The creature looking doesn't turn a heavily obscured area into a lightly obscured area.
It does for them, and that's what matters. It literally doesn't matter one bit whether area is obscured or not if no one is looking, it only matters what the effect is for those who are looking.

You'll have to explain why you think it's absurd for someone standing outside the dim light radius of a torch to be unseen. You'll have to explain why you think it's absurd for someone standing in an area illuminated with daylight to be seen as opposed to someone obscured by dense foliage.
The explanation is that I understand how vision works. I could of course go into more detail, but at this point it is obvious that it would be a waste of time.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
But you're looking this whole thing from the wrong perspective. I'd describe what the characters see, and then assign obscurement level that seems to make sense based on that.
I don't know about you and the others, but between you and me, you seem to think that there is a vast divide between how we're seeing things, when in reality we only have one minor difference:

We both allow the definition of "Bright Light" to indicate a range of brightness.
We both allow "Dim Light" to indicate a range of dimness.
I allow "Darkness" to describe a range of low-light from complete darkness but including deep shadows, etc.
You only allow "Darkness" to describe 100% black-out, no one can see a single thing (aside from darkvision in non-magical darkness).

Or at least it seems that way to me. It's not that different a perspective.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The explanation is that I understand how vision works. I could of course go into more detail, but at this point it is obvious that it would be a waste of time.
For instance, this comment is very arrogant of you to assume that no one else understands how vision works, just because they don't agree with you that "Heavy Obscurement" requires a 100% lack of vision.

My "side" (and I still don't think that it's that black-and-white, nothing in this conversation is) just finds it easier to imagine that you can still see "somewhat" in some styles of "Heavy Obscurement". (Fog, Underbrush, and yes, Darkness) The important part is that you can't see WELL ENOUGH to act without certain penalties.

I don't know about you and the others, but between you and me, you seem to think that there is a vast divide between how we're seeing things, when in reality we only have one minor difference:

We both allow the definition of "Bright Light" to indicate a range of brightness.
We both allow "Dim Light" to indicate a range of dimness.
I allow "Darkness" to describe a range of low-light from complete darkness but including deep shadows, etc.
You only allow "Darkness" to describe 100% black-out, no one can see a single thing (aside from darkvision in non-magical darkness).

Or at least it seems that way to me. It's not that different a perspective.
Yes. All that talk about not letting a single photon go though made me realize that too. They believe "heavily obscured" must mean absolutely devoid of any light. Which is kinda impossible to achieve. Even inside a sealed metal box, quantum tunnelling is bound to teleport a few photons in eventually.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Yes. All that talk about not letting a single photon go though made me realize that too. They believe "heavily obscured" must mean absolutely devoid of any light. Which is kinda impossible to achieve. Even inside a sealed metal box, quantum tunnelling is bound to teleport a few photons in eventually.
And yet they assume that we don't understand the science, because the spell very obviously causes something to exist that is impossible. Which is what magic does and we all know it!

Anyways, I don't mean to get personal... I have the utmost respect for all the posters here, even if I don't agree with them. I hope you all understand that - it is not my intention to suggest otherwise.

For instance, this comment is very arrogant of you to assume that no one else understands how vision works, just because they don't agree with you that "Heavy Obscurement" requires a 100% lack of vision.

My "side" (and I still don't think that it's that black-and-white, nothing in this conversation is) just finds it easier to imagine that you can still see "somewhat" in some styles of "Heavy Obscurement". (Fog, Underbrush, and yes, Darkness) The important part is that you can't see WELL ENOUGH to act without certain penalties.
No, it's not that. I accept that the game state 'darkness' can also mean, really, really dark but still not total pitch-black. But the difference I was trying to explain was that I consider the visibility from the point of view of the one who is looking, thus visibility is subjective, not objective. The same thing can be obscured to one person but not to another. Darkvision of course commonly creates this situation, but other factors should logically cause it too, like the relative positions of the onlookers.

⬜⬜⬜🐱⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🌲⬜⬜⬜
🐶⬜🌲🐰⬜⬜
⬜⬜🌲⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜

For example here bunny is next to dense foliage. I'd rule she is heavily obscured to the dog, but not obscured at all to the cat. Pretty normal situation. In some situations lightning conditions might require similar directional assessment.

Last edited:

No, heavy obscurement doesn't require that. An area that cannot be illuminated however does.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Not so. As I’ve said before, I am perfectly comfortable with the idea of creatures and objects being sufficiently obscured as to incur the penalties associated with heavy obscurement, without necessarily being completely impossible to see. Legal blindness is a good example. The photon stuff is about the descriptive language of the spell.

No, it's not that. I accept that the game state 'darkness' can also mean, really, really dark but still not total pitch-black. But the difference I was trying to explain was that I consider the visibility from the point of view of the one who is looking, thus visibility is subjective, not objective. The same thing can be obscured to one person but not to another. Darkvision of course commonly creates this situation, but other factors should logically cause it too, like the relative positions of the onlookers.

⬜⬜⬜🐱⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🌲⬜⬜⬜
🐶⬜🌲🐰⬜⬜
⬜⬜🌲⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜

For example here bunny is next to heavy foliage. I'd rule she is heavily obscured to the dog, but not obscured at all to the cat. Pretty normal situation. In some situations lightning conditions might require similar directional assessment.
That's a really fair and reasonable way to rule it. Still, the main goal of this thread was to clarify if the Darkness spell should block or not vision to things beyond it's area, but not inside it. By RAW.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus

Normal darkness sure, but not the spell. The spell specifically says that non-magical light doesn't illuminate it, so there is nothing but blackness within the spell. No shades of grey at all. Since it also negates darkvision, there is no way to see at all while inside of it, or into it if you are outside of it. All ambient light ceases to have any effect.

Remove ads