Unearthed Arcana Revived, Noble Genie and Archivist Revisited in UA

The latest Unearthed Arcana replaces the Revived, Noble Genie, and Archivist subclasses with new versions called the Phantom, the Genie, and the Order of Scribes.

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 11.29.27 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I asked Dan Dillon about that, and he confirmed that it is only the wizard subclass. The other psionic subclasses are continuing forward.
I would be very surprised it they went back to making a Psion class, even though I really want one.
The Onomancer can be a bard, easily. The Psion they made a Sorcerer subclass.

3E monsters say hey, and they miss you.

One thing I can say as an unrepentant monster creator/tinkerer, while 3e had rules that could allow you to easily raise or lower power levels to a monster, or add class levels, the stated final CR (by those rules) for the creature you created tended to vary wildly from actual power levels in play. 5e monster tinkering is a bit more difficult (until you get used to it and practice a bit; 3e monster creation rules were very simple and easy straight from the box), but your results will line up with your intended final CR much more closely...

Xeviat

Hero
Ooooof ... 10 minute short rests on the Warlock is simply too much. I'm shocked and surprised this was a thing. It invalidates the warlock's 20th level ability. Big no. No no no.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Ooooof ... 10 minute short rests on the Warlock is simply too much. I'm shocked and surprised this was a thing. It invalidates the warlock's 20th level ability. Big no. No no no.
It's only once per day and can be used in addition to the level 20 ability, it doesn't invalidate it.

Xeviat

Hero
It's only once per day and can be used in addition to the level 20 ability, it doesn't invalidate it.

Oh, was it once per day? Okay, that makes it different.

It still means it's more powerful than a capstone ability since it applies to the whole party.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
My post was purely a response to a comment about 3e stat blocks.

But, if you want to talk about fluff, I am a fan of sparser fluff. Skimming through the 3e FRCS my take is that the word count is about four times what it needs to be to convey the information. I don't need long prose, in fact I don't want long prose because I'm not reading for entertainment I'm reading to prepare for a game. (Ed Greenwood is not Herman Melville.).

(For the opposite approach, check out The Secrets of Skyhorn Lighthouse and The Corruption of Skyhorn Lighthouse, by Kelsey Dionne, on DMs Guild. I recently downloaded them and love the format; rarely am I ready to run an adventure with as little reading.)

EDIT: To make my point a little more clear, I'm talking about taking something like this:

Sewer halflings are a peculiar sub-branch of halflings, which some sages say are distantly related to Lightfoots, although this theory has never been confirmed. The timid Sewer halflings reside in the extensive sewers of cities like Luskan and Waterdeep, although there have been sightings in smaller cities throughout the Realms. As one would expect from creatures that reside in the sewers, sewer halflings are filthy. They can be useful allies, however, for they are inveterate hoarders and consequently can be a....blah blah blah

And condensing it to:

Sewer Halflings (timid, filthy, hoarders)
OTOH, I hate the second example. I’ll never use something with that little information. At that point I’m better off just making up my own stuff. A paragraph or two let’s me know enough to actually use them, without any extra work on my part.

G

Guest 6801328

OTOH, I hate the second example. I’ll never use something with that little information. At that point I’m better off just making up my own stuff. A paragraph or two let’s me know enough to actually use them, without any extra work on my part.

I'll acknowledge that the information was sparse, but what was in the prose version that was missing in the summary version? Because the point was that both versions contain the same quantity of useful information.

Weiley31

Legend
NPCs can have Subclasses/features. Your not the ONLY Bladesinger out there.

Also, is it just me or have I been mispronouncing Djinni wrong this whole time? *Pronouncing the hard "D" in it like "D-Jin"?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Oh, was it once per day? Okay, that makes it different.

It still means it's more powerful than a capstone ability since it applies to the whole party.
Oh it's definitely a good ability. Another benefit is that at the level you can finally bring in allies you can use it as a place to hide for a long rest. Who's going to suspect a battered lamp or bottle as something that holds the party.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases