D&D 4E Rewards in 4e

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Sometimes the adventure goes quite a while without any treasure dolled out, many player characters have status in my games that the idea of tracking every dime is contrary to the feel.

I actually didnt get much out of the greed driven "hero" model back in the day and it has affected our play ever since

That's what I do, more or less. They gain useful contacts, non adventuring resources like an island, a ship, access to a library of exclusive nature, patronage of a power individual, etc.
one time, a fellow DM in our round table FR game had a group of Druids we helped give us each a potted tree, which would grow on command, one time, to create something as large as a house, and would then remain whatever it had grown into.

Yeah, I definitely think that non-monetary or even non-material rewards should be simply free form. I call them 'minor boons' and that way you can kinda know what you are giving out. They could be assigned a nominal 'level' as well, though its not really that important. It could be somewhat useful for keeping in mind where its appropriate to dispense them (if say you are writing something up for other people to use) or deciding who's more in line to get something.

Not seeing this as different? "strictly on Party level"

Encounter levels tend to be driven by party level (just as back in the very first DMG), in order to be sufficiently challenging for the PCs ... but encounter level is where treasure is tied to any way.

Of course you then mention.

Well, actually, Garthanos, as I read the rewards chapter, 4e RAW says that your treasure parcels are scaled by PARTY LEVEL, so IN THEORY if a level 1 party bests a level+5 encounter, they get a level 1 treasure parcel for their trouble! This seems necessary if you are going to stick to the way the parcel system works. This is the stark contrast with 1e where you'd kill a 6hd monster and it would likely call out treasure table rows that were much more lucrative than a 1hd monster would have (though admittedly this is not a hard and fast rule). Also DMs were expected to have placed treasure that was presumably scaled to encounter difficulty (though again exactly what that would mean is admittedly not spelled out in any rule or even example in 1e).

So, just making a rule 'parcel is scaled by encounter difficulty' would be a change in the direction of 'reward scales with risk', which was my professed goal.

S'mon

Legend
Nods, (ok I have been auto doing it wrong/house ruling LOL shows what DMing a long time can do )- functionally it doesnt seem different as over the course of an entire level seems like unless you fail to challenge your players there would be plenty of level appropriate incidents to tie the reward to. Put most of the good stuff on the more challenging ones and other stuff scattered through out.

It seems the parcel system is called a "recommendation" I think distributing the better items to the more challenging situations is my recommendatin ;)

Functionally, using the 4e tables while tying awards to Encounter Level should result in significantly more cash and higher level items, since the usual encounter range is -1 PL to +4 PL, realistically higher than that at very high levels. 4e is very robust though so this makes little difference to play balance.

When we first started discussing this in the other thread, I immediately began thinking along the lines of 5E's Downtime Activities and its 4E trial balloon, the Dragon 424 article "Achievements" by Robert Schwalb. Therein he breaks Achievements down to four categories: Association, Influence, Information, and Material. But the system isn't developed as fully as it could be, nor is it divorced from the treasure rewards system (which, as most of us seem to agree, is really just a subset of combat character mechanics--or choices between combat utility and resources spent that take away from that ability, a pernicious divide if ever there was one!).

My initial concept is that, by divorcing the traditional rewards economy (i.e. magic items and combat utility) from a separate monetary economy that contributes to the kind of social "pillar" reward that Schwalb presents, things become much more interesting as characters build and make choices within both of these pillars.

For example, as it stands right now, the group that ventures into the Dungeon of the Fire Opal and retrieves that fist sized ruby from the statue of the efreet has little option but to sell it to buy magic items to advance their characters according to expected development. But that seems a waste of a potential plot item. Couldn't that item serve as a locus of intrigue and influence in the gameworld, and outside of DM fiat? (I mean, it's always easy enough for the DM to have assassins from an ancient fire cult come after the jewel, etc., but I'm talking about player empowerment in world building, in the same way that making background choices, feat choices, magic item choices, etc. can drive the narrative.)

Might not those who carry the jewel achieve influence in the Crimson Court of the tiefling duke by fashioning it as the centerpiece of a crown, for instance, or use it to create a permanent portal to the City of Brass, etc.? Wouldn't it be great to track the wealth of characters as they advance in level according to such a parallel rewards system to drive gameplay in other ways beyond simply as units to be instantly exchanged for the best magic items?

Sure, this is good. The necessary and difficult concomitant to all this is you have to plausibly divorce the magic item 'economy' from the gold piece economy. This isn't super easy to do in a non-forced manner. I mean, lets face it, if someone needs food bad enough they're going to trade their +1 sword for some cash so they can buy rations. This is particularly true with a 'commodity' magic item like a +1 sword. Even if such an item is quite rare its still simply a small increment of power better than an ordinary sword, so its relatively straightforward to equate it to existing items and prices, and there's likely to be plenty of willing buyers (anyone that uses a sword, given the right price).

So, one thing that you would want to avoid is such simple commodity magic items. Or if they exist then they're a class of things that DOES cross over between gold and magic. To some extent that might not be a terrible thing, you COULD sell your +1 sword, or buy an extra one if you happen to get a LOT of loot. If its not a really critical thing to have though, it won't matter too much. So either these types of items could be very common and thus basically just ordinary items (albeit maybe significantly more expensive than mundane swords), or they could simply be incredibly rare ancient items that are almost never found and thus not something you can plausibly find for sale.

High end items aren't so much of a problem. The fire opal for instance is unique in all the worlds. Moreover whomever owns it has a big target painted on them. You probably COULD sell/trade it, at far below par, but buying such a thing is beyond impossible, and at best would represent an adventure all of its own on a par with looting it in the first place.

There might still be a problematic middle ground of items though. Imagine a 'ring of spell storing', it could be quite valuable, but in the right situation someone might sell it to you. Its probably not unique in most settings, though it could be quite rare. Again, you can make these things super rare, so they just aren't ever for sale, but you probably can't make them commodities, unless you're aiming for a very magic-heavy world (plus even if they are commodities their high utility means buying them is likely not optional for an adventurer).

Note that the same considerations now apply to creating items. I'm reminded of the 2e rules, which basically rule magic item creation to be impossible (you can do it, but it really isn't worth it 99% of the time). Clearly you would want to avoid 4e's Enchant Item concept.

Actually the current item rarity isn't so bad. If you assume that the items anyone can enchant (common items) are basically commodities and maybe even lower their costs so everyone just makes some, then the rare items are left as pure treasure awards, with enchanting them being only a plot device.

With regards to the latter part, treasures could become [non-combat "magic" items], in a sense.

Such a thing could be added to 4e w/o any system addition necessary (in a sense) : much like artifacts, these items could come with built-in properties that achieve what we may be looking for:

The Lost Ruby of the Blue Falcon:
- worth 45,000 gp if sold
- grants to a known owner a +2 bonus to social skills in any kind of financial deal-making
- if displayed or worn by the owner, allows the owner a +5 bonus to Intimidate
- when carried, imposes a -2 penalty to Stealth
- can be used as the focal component for a portal to the Brass City. The ruby need not be permanently set, but opening the portal always requires the ruby be physically present for the entire casting, using, operating, and duration of the ritual.

A potential starting point for something like this (I know the example I gave is pretty blah) would be the [ritual items] that were in... memory fails at the moment...

The ritual casting rules do have provisions for 'focus items' that are required but not expended. They used that mechanic in a few rituals, but it wasn't all that common.

There was a Dragon article that provided for ritualistic uses of certain existing magic items. I don't recall all the details.

Nods, (ok I have been auto doing it wrong/house ruling LOL shows what DMing a long time can do )- functionally it doesnt seem different as over the course of an entire level seems like unless you fail to challenge your players there would be plenty of level appropriate incidents to tie the reward to. Put most of the good stuff on the more challenging ones and other stuff scattered through out.

It seems the parcel system is called a "recommendation" I think distributing the better items to the more challenging situations is my recommendatin ;)

Right, the standard approach would be to note the aggregate of parcels to give out in a given adventure (say a level's worth, which is 10) and then redistribute them as items and money in a narratively pleasing fashion. Thus the characters might experience gaining only some pocket change from the orc scouts, a couple healing potions from the orc guards, and a big pile of treasure from the orc king.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Functionally, using the 4e tables while tying awards to Encounter Level should result in significantly more cash and higher level items, since the usual encounter range is -1 PL to +4 PL, realistically higher than that at very high levels. 4e is very robust though so this makes little difference to play balance.

I am pretty (but now you have me doubting my memory that senility is setting in) sure I also read the possibility of item levels to be a little higher up to +4 levels (just like the encounter difficulty range)

S'mon

Legend
I am pretty (but now you have me doubting my memory that senility is setting in) sure I also read the possibility of item levels to be a little higher up to +4 levels (just like the encounter difficulty range)

The rules as written give a PC party of 5 10 treasure packets per level, including items of PL+1, +2, +3 and +4.

The rules as written give a PC party of 5 10 treasure packets per level, including items of PL+1, +2, +3 and +4.

Right, and then you get GP treasure equal to the value of an at-level item, and IIRC an equal amount of consumables, though the tables in the DMG seem to mix consumables and treasure pretty freely.

The upshot is that about 80% or more of all treasure is magic items of a level you couldn't make yourself. You COULD break them all down and I believe you'd end up with exactly 5 at-level items worth of residuum, including the money and consumables. This means that by RAW the WORST CASE for a party is they get 4 useless items and they sell/disenchant all of them and make 5 nominal level items that they can use out of the proceeds. Its a sort of 'anti-dick-DM' kind of a setup, even if the DM hates you, you can have at least the most nominal item load out.

Remove ads