D&D 5E Reworking Protection

Weiley31

Legend
Adventures in Middle-Earth 5E's Weapon Master fighter subclass allowed the option, via a subclass feature, to "upgrade" the six fighting styles that were in it.

Defence Fighting Style: upgrade allowed you to ignore disadvantage to stealth checks due to your armor.

Protection Fighting Style: upgrade allowed you, as a bonus action, to attack with your shield. Inflicts 1D6+STR modifer points of damage on hit.

You could restrict it to only one ally and/or have it not apply the bonus to your own AC. But also, is a +2AC aura really much stronger than always-on +2 damage, or +1 to hit with ranged weapons?
I'd say it is. Damage and attack boost are linear where AC scales on two fronts so it can quickly get silly if your not careful. protection is +1 AC and it's a big difference in the long run.

Quickleaf

Legend
That wouldn’t fix what I see as the issue with protection, which is that it uses your reaction for fairly small benefit, and comes up much less often the other fighting styles.
I've sometimes thought that the way the shield spell works & how the Protection fighting style works should be flipped. Because shield is such a choice spell I see taken regularly, while Protection is a style I don't think I've ever seen a player take.

In other words, that the shield spell's bonus to AC would apply only to ONE (or the next) attack (not all attacks), while the Protection fighting style would apply to ALL melee attacks against the companion you're protecting (not just one).

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I've sometimes thought that the way the shield spell works & how the Protection fighting style works should be flipped. Because shield is such a choice spell I see taken regularly, while Protection is a style I don't think I've ever seen a player take.

In other words, that the shield spell's bonus to AC would apply only to ONE (or the next) attack (not all attacks), while the Protection fighting style would apply to ALL melee attacks against the companion you're protecting (not just one).
I’m inclined to agree.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases