D&D 5E RFtLW and Ravinica "suggestion" tables

MarkB

Legend
They came in handy for me this evening. After emerging from a long trip through the Mournland with a number of different clues to follow, I had no real idea which path the players would take, and when the wound up in Sharn, seeking out House contacts for information, the tables were useful for coming up with a suitable quid pro quo mini-quest on the spur of the moment, complete with names of the people and locations involved.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I just looked through Acquisitions Inc, and the 'random stuff' tables with setting-specific entries helps me understand the tone and feel of a campaign in that genre. So yes I like the tables, but I can see that a minimum density of unique entries should be maintained - not tables of mostly generic filler.

R_J_K75

Legend
Putting them on a website, or locked away where most people won't even notice them, defeats the purpose.

They did alot of web enhancements for 3E from 2000-2008, which I downloaded and printed threw them in a binder and used them alot. With social media and streaming sites I guess they are getting away from this type of thing so maybe your right that most people wont find them. I know I rarely go. On WotC website anymore.

MarkB

Legend
They did alot of web enhancements for 3E from 2000-2008, which I downloaded and printed threw them in a binder and used them alot. With social media and streaming sites I guess they are getting away from this type of thing so maybe your right that most people wont find them. I know I rarely go. On WotC website anymore.
Yeah, I've played and run 5e since the public playtest, and I don't think I've ever visited the DM's Guild.

R_J_K75

Legend
Yeah, I've played and run 5e since the public playtest, and I don't think I've ever visited the DM's Guild.

Their website is pretty hard to find things on, dont think theres alot there as far as I can tell without going to D&D beyond, which I barely unless it shows up on my google feed.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
To me theres too much of this. If there was a short chapter to explain how to come up with hooks Id be OK but IMO too much space in these books dedicated to these tables. I dont need WotC to hold my hand through the entire book. Thoughts?
My thoughts: It just goes to show how different people are. I love the suggestion tables because they help me come up with stuff I would never have thought of on my own. It's too easy (for me) to get stuck in a rut and keep trotting out variations on the same old thing.

Remove ads