Rich Baker on 'splat books' and other topics

TwinBahamut

First Post
Imaro said:
Well one thing splatbooks do (that's not necessarily good for the game) with all those options and features is...create combinations that can't be tested thoroughly as far as game balance with all previous and future sourcebooks. That's just off the top of my head, but with WotC new emphasis on even more abilities, racial traits, class powers, etc. I see this as a very real possibility.
Certainly true... But I don't think this is the kind of complication that WotC is referring to when they talk about making the game simpler to play. After all, this kind of complication, based on the wide variety of options for building a character, is a lot of fun for a significant fraction of the D&D playerbase, and provides a lot of income for WotC.

Removing complication as you describe it would be more limiting to D&D than beneficial to the game.

On the other hand, making the core rules themselves less complicated is nothing but a benefit for the game.

Rechan

Adventurer
Imaro said:
Well one thing splatbooks do (that's not necessarily good for the game) with all those options and features is...create combinations that can't be tested thoroughly as far as game balance with all previous and future sourcebooks. That's just off the top of my head, but with WotC new emphasis on even more abilities, racial traits, class powers, etc. I see this as a very real possibility.
I don't think the major beef that the designers have is with this:

"With these four feat, that magical item, this spell, and this class, I can rule the world!"

It would appear the real meat of their addressing is:

1) Faster play overall. Grappling rules, turning rules, multiple attacks seeming to not be the norm, etc. All to make a combat round go faster.

2) A CR/EL system that works more like a science than an art.

3) Classes balanced against one another, in combat, and classes balanced within their roles.

4) Easier prep-time for DMs.

5) Reduction on the dependency of magical items. The argument is that the 3e system assumes a character has the big six: AC boosting items (Amulets of Nat Armor), stat boosting items, save boosters, and magical arms and armor. This is because BAB and To Hit rise much faster than AC, monster saves rise much faster than spell DCs, monster abilities rise faster than saves, et al. Solution: reduce the need for these items to compete at higher levels.

Others are welcome to argue these points, and there are some minor goals I believe that they had (like making monsters still threatening over more levels, make classes have stronger niched abilities, make first level PCs tougher and higher level characters weaker, etc), but I think the above 5 are more important than those, to the designers.

Last edited:

Yes, 3.5 has complexities at the upper end. Splat books add complexity in other parts of the gaming experience:

1. DM time evaluating combinations requested by players. With the core rules, you don't have to do this.

2. DM and/or player time referencing splatbooks in addition to the core rules during play.

3. Splat books introducing new subsystems and options that are slightly to greatly different from the core rules, and taking more play time to understand, implement and adjudicate.

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
"Our take on the Inner Planes and the Ethereal Plane is definitely different, though."

Ah, so the Ethereal plane is still in 4th Ed?

I thought the Feywild and Shadowfell were enough.

Cadfan

First Post
Steely Dan said:
"Our take on the Inner Planes and the Ethereal Plane is definitely different, though."

Ah, so the Ethereal plane is still in 4th Ed?

I thought the Feywild and Shadowfell were enough.

I wouldn't draw that conclusion automatically. The Feywild and Shadowfell have a lot of similarities with the ethereal plane. He may mean that the 4e "take" on the ethereal plane IS the feywild and shadowfell.

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
Cadfan said:
I wouldn't draw that conclusion automatically. The Feywild and Shadowfell have a lot of similarities with the ethereal plane. He may mean that the 4e "take" on the ethereal plane IS the feywild and shadowfell.

Ah yes, you're right, I feel better now – the Ethereal never quite cut it for me.

I'm all for going incorporeal, but ethereal…

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases