D&D 4E Richard Baker talks Magic in the 4E Realms

ya know last time the god a magic died...err the frist time magic stopped working . nada nothing no magic . a new goddess was chosen to controll the weave dosnt make sence it wouldnt happen now

SPECTRE666

Adventurer
Li Shenron said:
Sometimes I just wish for a setting with no god of magic.
-Well you got your wish in the Realms now. Richard Baker(he who must be stopped) has alluded to the fact that the Realms will not have a God of Magic in 4E. I personally think that Corellon will be the God of Magic in the Relms now.

Lord DELTA

MisterWhodat

First Post
Hunter In Darkness said:
ya know last time the god a magic died...err the frist time magic stopped working . nada nothing no magic . a new goddess was chosen to controll the weave dosnt make sence it wouldnt happen now

The reason a new god of magic was chosen to protect the weave was because, well there was still a weave to protect. According to the new realms there will be no weave, thus no need to find a new Mystra.

Irda Ranger

First Post
SPECTRE666 said:
-Well you got your wish in the Realms now. Richard Baker(he who must be stopped) has alluded to the fact that the Realms will not have a God of Magic in 4E. I personally think that Corellon will be the God of Magic in the Relms now.
Not the god "of" magic, as in "the only one", but rather one those clever gods Rich mentioned that quickly found "workarounds" in the new conditions.

I expect that magic will be like martial prowess. There are gods who are identified as being heavy magic-users themselves, and often coming up with clever spells, but none of them "own" the portfolio.

I'm curious as to what they're holding back about Clerics.

You know, the idea of setting-specific Power Sources makes me wonder about the Dragonmarked Houses.

Mieric

First Post
Couldn't they find something original to do this time?

Why the hell is it always Mystryl/Mystra that bites the dust? Why is Helm involved again in an edition change?

Why couldn't Lathander be the one responsible this time around - maybe something similar to when he invoked the Dawn Cataclysm?

Maybe I'll just revamp my campaign to take place before the damn Time of Troubles and just eradicate any official time line after that - then I'll have decent evil gods back Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul back instead of the halfwit Cyric and Mystra will be back to her pre do-gooder days. Following that line of thought - maybe Lathander invokes a second Dawn Cataclysm and bites the dust leaving Faerun blanketed in twilight (until he either reforms or someone arises to claim his portfolio) and Selune as the remaining deity of Light.

Brian Compton

First Post
Irda Ranger said:
I'm curious as to what they're holding back about Clerics.

Please don't say it's power of god=power of spells they can grant. That was one of the big things that changed between 2E and 3E that I liked. But now with the reclassification of everything as either god, demigod, or servant, I could see that happening. You end up having clerics all following the same few gods because they don't want to get hosed on levels of spells.

But since there will be less gods anyway, maybe it won't matter. Eh.

BTW, if atomic attractive forces suddenly "broke down," would some other force just take over for them, or would that be it? Otherwise, you can't consider magic among the essential forces, since it can self-mend or otherwise adapt while others can't.

Remove ads