• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ring of Maximized Fire Ball?

Biren Firebelly

First Post
Ok, if anyone remembers trying to make a custom magic item for the first time you can understand it's abit confusing. We tried to make a ring of Maximized Fire Balls, Use Activated, Unlimited uses.

Our total price was 72,000 gp.

Are we crazy?????

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Use activated makes no sense for such an item. It must be command activated.

Use activated items work automatically, once you wear them, hardly a reasonable activation method for a ring of fireballs.

So, here's how it works:

Maximized fireball is a 6th level spell, requiring 11th caster level, thus the cost for this item is 6 x 11 x 1,800 gp = 118,800 gp for a command word activation and unlimited uses.

Bye
Thanee

Darklone

Plane Sailing said:
Unless they were building a cursed item - put it on and a 60 point fireball explodes on you. Yeah!
The group in which I played the bard multiclass crime found a broken wand of fireball... it always exploded around the wand.

DM had a good laugh till I put the wand to good use with Evasion and Refl save +13 :D

Drow Jones

First Post
Thanee said:
Use activated makes no sense for such an item. It must be command activated.

Use activated items work automatically, once you wear them, hardly a reasonable activation method for a ring of fireballs.
What about a ring that maximies all fireballs the wielder casts? Like a metamagic Rod, but which has no times/day limit, but only applies to specific spell?

- DJ

Thanee

First Post
Yeah, that would make sense as a use activated item.

Do you think he meant something like that?
Figuring out a cost for that one would be tricky, tho. :D

Bye
Thanee

Otterscrubber

First Post
All magic item costs are guidelines. With the D&D system you can create just about anything you want and obviously there will be some ideas that are way more useful/overbalanced than would be indicated using any of the formulas for magic item creation. I would use a lot of caution in my campaign before letting anyone find, much less make, an item that has unlimited uses of any commonly used combat spell. I wouldn't assume you are crazy for allowing such an item to exist, but I hope you have thought out the implications of it.

Even assigning a cost in gp is relative as gold may be plentiful in one campaign and scarce in another. Using the guidelines as written though 118k is accurate as far as I can tell for the ring of unlimited fireballs. I have no clue what the cost is for building feats into a magic item.

Last edited:

UltimaGabe

First Post
118,000 gp for unlimited uses of a DC 14 Fireball that automically does 30 points of damage?

Fine by me. I'd actually think it'd be a waste of money, to tell you the truth.

Eraslin

First Post
UltimaGabe said:
118,000 gp for unlimited uses of a DC 14 Fireball that automically does 30 points of damage?

Fine by me. I'd actually think it'd be a waste of money, to tell you the truth.

??? It requires an int/cha of 16 to cast a sixth level spell -- which a maximized fireball is. Thus, the save for the fireballs that come from the ring will be DC 16. Still not great, but better than 14.

Additionally, the caster level of a sixth level spell has to be at least 11. Thus, the maximized fireball will be cast at a caster level of 11. Yielding 60 points of damage.

-Eraslin

MerakSpielman

First Post
I can see such a thing being not-so-useful for standard adventuring wizards (who by the time they can craft this thing are facing monsters with very good saving throws), but imagine a few wizards aiding in the defense of a castle against a horde of low-level troops. These things could get nasty quick.

It could also be used as a piece of a magical, infinite-ammo trap.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads