D&D (2024) RIP, 2014 PHB backgrounds

MarkB

Legend
I completely disagree. There is nothing (IMO) wrong with listing some quick-grab backgrounds while suggesting to people that they can swap out any bit they like. Does anyone complain about the equipment packages? I've never heard it. You can choose to buy your gear, too. Everyone seems to understand this.
Yeah, but based on some of the early playtest feedback, they don't understand it when it comes to backgrounds. We had a thread here complaining that the Gladiator background was racist for including Orcish as one of the chosen languages, and a lot of similar reactions on Youtube and social media.

gorice

Hero
I seem to be the only one who thinks Folk Hero was good. Look, there's got to be some kind of background that says 'peasants think you're cool', and that one did the trick. Peasants thinking you're cool doesn't go that far in a world ruled by knights and sorcerers, by the way.

I actually think the old background features were the best part of the backgrounds. They weren't just random backstory, they were something that could be, and was, used in play. Now, every character is going to have exactly the same mechanical connection to the world, and it will be a matter of DM fiat whether it means anything.

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
Not everybody is ultra-creative, and many people struggle with balancing mechanics. Not having backgrounds to choose from, and forcing every player to create their own, it just more work (and more stress) for both the players and the DM. The 2014 PHB (and SCAG) were perfectly fine giving premade backgrounds, but also encouraging creative types to make their own. That way, everybody wins

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I seem to be the only one who thinks Folk Hero was good. Look, there's got to be some kind of background that says 'peasants think you're cool'
Does there? I find it hard to map that background onto any hero of fiction.

I don't think anyone springs out of the ground as a hero of the people. The folk hero was someone before that point.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Standard Backgrounds in the PHB should be full on custom, with maybe an example or two. Premade backgrounds should be regulated to Setting books, where they can have maximum flavor, and potentially setting specific feats to better reflect them.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I am really sorry that they appear to be getting away from the background features. They didn't come into play often, but their existence meant that backgrounds contributed something to your character you couldn't get through class or race.

I thought that was brilliant, and that it really worked to individuate a first-level character (a soldier cleric felt very different from a noble cleric or a criminal cleric); it was a wonderful access into roleplaying, I felt, which they appear to be losing.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases