Ripple Effect of D&D's Statement on the Rest of the RPG Industry?

teitan

Legend
Since when was that ever a requirement in this social media age of the perpetually offended? Of course people who know the show will leave it alone.

even if it is offensive if they like it they won’t say anything. Look at Manga where some pretty insane stuff is portrayed. I’m not judging but it seems to be a thing.

aramis erak

Legend
Except they seemed to have a thing for casting black actors as Klingons, or darkening the skin of white actors for the parts. Which one is worse in that circumstance, I do not know. I dread the day some of these people with nothing better to do catch some of those episodes from the original series.
TOS had no "black" actors for Klingons.
Michael Ansara was Syrian by birth. And he was swarthy - he often played Native Americans. He didn't need much makeup to look dark. He's about as dark as TOS cast for Klingons gets. Charlie Pickerni, in the B&W headshots on IMDB, looks about as dark, and is Italian in ethno-ancestry.

The one who looks darkest in TOS, Kahless, is played by one of the whitest guys cast as a klingon... Bob Heron.

To be honest, I think Aurelio Voltaire gets the look (and the 'tude) right when he sings, "
And what is with the Klingons? Remember, in the day
They looked like Puerto Ricans and they dressed in gold lamé
Now they look like heavy metal rockers from the dead
With leather pants and frizzy hair and lobsters on their heads"
(USS Make S*** Up)

THey all got the eyebrow treatment, tho'...

And, even in DS9, Kang, Qor, and Koloth are still relatively light skinned in their DS9 appearances.

Note that that was before the "reveal" in Ent of why TOS klingons were different, and so no explanation for why THEY have ridges now is given, as DS9 was still, at that point, operating under the "They were always meant to look like heavy metal rockers from the dead" mode.

I always preferred, and still do, the FASA-Trek explanation to the Enterprise one: the TOS klingons were hybrids created to hide the "pure" Klingons. The Discovery approach (modified individuals) just doesn't work for me.

aramis erak

Legend
I have to admit I find the number of people complaining about modern "Trek" on the basis that "It was never political", "It's being made by SJWs", "It's annoyingly PC" to be somewhat puzzling. Did they not notice that Star Trek has always trended that way?
No, and I know a number of conservatives who are Trek fans... of a sort...
One of them sees Trek as a fun ride and a deep warning about the liberal view. Yes, it would be like a Progressive liberal enjoying the Günter Grass film, ‹Die Blechtrommel›. It's a powerful film, with a strong political message, but if you don't pay attention, you can easily miss it in the english subtitles...

Others simply don't find political meaning in pretty much anything less obvious than a debate.

One is simply incapable of comprehending that his particular view not only isn't the only sane one, but that it's not a sane one itself. He's a highly business-aggressive anarcho-capitalist who likes Star Trek, goes to church every sunday, but can't see any resemblance at all to Quark or Kevas Fajio in himself, nor how social safety nets are useful, nor that anyone is socio-economically disadvantaged other than "by their own lack of drive."

How many viewers of MASH enjoyed it solely for the Hijinks?
Of All in the Family?
Of The Jeffersons?
Of Good Times?
Sanford and Son?
Kung Fu and Kung Fu: The Legend Continues?
SWAT? (Either version. it was, to borrow a phrase, "Copaganda"... and the new one still is, but at least we have 3 persons of color in major roles. (One Latina, one Afro-American, one Oriental, and the white guys clearly are differing ethnicities.)
Hawaii Five-O/ Hawaii 5-O: again, "Copaganda"... and both old and new, various issues with ethnicity touched upon. ANd yet, both cases, the unit CO is a white guy raised alongside island culture, conversant in it, and respectful of it.

Most viewers seem to miss the political and propaganda aspects, but they're there.

I even think Red Dwarf makes a fun socio-dynamic bit from time to time - the last human is a guy who clearly isn't white, but clearly isn't any other particular ethnicity, either... (At least until Ace is added...)

TOS had no "black" actors for Klingons.
Michael Ansara was Syrian by birth. And he was swarthy - he often played Native Americans. He didn't need much makeup to look dark. He's about as dark as TOS cast for Klingons gets. Charlie Pickerni, in the B&W headshots on IMDB, looks about as dark, and is Italian in ethno-ancestry.

The one who looks darkest in TOS, Kahless, is played by one of the whitest guys cast as a klingon... Bob Heron.

To be honest, I think Aurelio Voltaire gets the look (and the 'tude) right when he sings, "
And what is with the Klingons? Remember, in the day
They looked like Puerto Ricans and they dressed in gold lamé
Now they look like heavy metal rockers from the dead
With leather pants and frizzy hair and lobsters on their heads"
(USS Make S*** Up)

THey all got the eyebrow treatment, tho'...

And, even in DS9, Kang, Qor, and Koloth are still relatively light skinned in their DS9 appearances.

Note that that was before the "reveal" in Ent of why TOS klingons were different, and so no explanation for why THEY have ridges now is given, as DS9 was still, at that point, operating under the "They were always meant to look like heavy metal rockers from the dead" mode.

I always preferred, and still do, the FASA-Trek explanation to the Enterprise one: the TOS klingons were hybrids created to hide the "pure" Klingons. The Discovery approach (modified individuals) just doesn't work for me.

Amazing how you went through that whole list and left out the best known actor to play a Klingon, or half-Klingon, Michael Dorn, who played Worf.

And in the newer shows, no, it was not truly blackace, but brownface, they did with the white actors. Brownface is the new thing that is being challenged.

aramis erak

Legend
In
Amazing how you went through that whole list and left out the best known actor to play a Klingon, or half-Klingon, Michael Dorn, who played Worf.

And in the newer shows, no, it was not truly blackace, but brownface, they did with the white actors. Brownface is the new thing that is being challenged.
teresting how you completely ignore I specified a scope of TOS. Nice misread...

Remove ads