• ★★ Not Great

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • ★ Terrible

Votes: 8 11.1%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Argyle King

Legend
I know it's not the same actor, but one my biggest obstacles for taking Kylo Ren seriously is that he reminds me of J.P. from the movie Grandma's Boy.

Zardnaar

Legend
Well as I said earlier switch your brain off and treat the movie as a Michael Bey popcorn for flick and it's fine.

Just don't think about. I suspect this movie won't hold up well on rewatch.

New force powers are fine, the teleport thing is a bit silly and Palps force lightning the fleet is over the top stupid.

Ironically they ripped off huge chunks of plot from the Dark Empire comics 1991-95.

Star Destroyers with super lasers check
Palps using force storm/lightning in space
Palps consumed by his own power
Palps returning from the dead
Hidden planet where he had built a fleet
New planet destroying super weapon

JJ is not big on originality.

Zardnaar

Legend
Looks like according to the poll its averaging roughly a 3 to 3.25. Give or take .25.

Not great. I voted that it was ass. shrug

Small sample size, slightly higher than the critic scores.

It's not bad IMHO in terms of this is awful to watch a'la AotC.

It's a stupid fun type of movie. I gave it 3/5 probably won't see it again in the theatre but might go again with the wife who hasn't seen it.

Posting this here in the spoiler section; I call this review the @Zardnaar wins (I kid, kinda):

Final paragraph of a pretty damning review:

"The Rise of Skywalker gives people what they go to Star Wars for, but that’s all it does—and worse, all it sets out to do. It’s frenzied, briefly infuriating, and eventually, grudgingly, satisfying, but it’s like being force-fed fandom: Your belly is filled, but there’s no pleasure in the meal. The movie feels like it’s part of the post–Last Jedi retrenchment, when Disney jerked the leash on Solo and killed plans for future spinoffs by insisting that filmmakers stick to the established playbook. It’s of a piece with the pointedly unambitious The Mandalorian, just good enough to get people’s attention but fundamentally terrified of rocking the boat. Rather than making a movie some people might love, Abrams tried to make a movie no one would hate, and as a result, you don’t feel much of anything at all."

Ugh. This is what I was afraid of. Oh well.
Yup, the whole movie, IMHO, is nothing more than SW market research driven pap. Nothing in it is surprising, inventive or really even decent storytelling. It just delivers up a sequence of SW tropes in a graphically pleasing candy wrapper.
It was mildly entertaining, but highly forgettable.

Small sample size, slightly higher than the critic scores.

It's not bad IMHO in terms of this is awful to watch a'la AotC.

It's a stupid fun type of movie. I gave it 3/5 probably won't see it again in the theatre but might go again with the wife who hasn't seen it.
I saw a few scenes. Noped right out of there. Kinda what i expected. New star wars is twice as much worse on average as the prequels were to the originals.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yup, the whole movie, IMHO, is nothing more than SW market research driven pap. Nothing in it is surprising, inventive or really even decent storytelling. It just delivers up a sequence of SW tropes in a graphically pleasing candy wrapper.
It was mildly entertaining, but highly forgettable.

Hey I wasn't expecting it I thought they would double down.

I didn't like the treatment they gave Rose.
Her scenes in TLJ were crap but thats not on her but the writers.

They introduced two new characters I don't care about but they could have done something more significant with her assuming they didn't cut her.

Finn and Poe got a better treatment, didn't mind Rey to much in this one. They ramped up force powers all around so we have some context now.

But it comes across as can you top this/unlimited power. I prefer the more restrained use of the force in the OT.

It's kind of a movie from 25 years ago with over the top plotting and Powers from comics. It's Marvel in space.

Rey is a Disney princess now, grandpops is royalty lol. What's funny is the other sequel trilogy is 1-3 bestsellers on Amazon atm lol.

Last edited:

Hey I wasn't expecting it I thought they would double down.

I didn't like the treatment they gave Rose.
Her scenes in TLJ were crap but thats not on her but the writers.

They introduced two new characters I don't care about but they could have done something more significant with her assuming they didn't cut her.

Finn and Pie got a better treatment, didn't mind Rey to much in this one. They ramped up force powers all around so we have some context now.

But it comes across as can you top this/unlimited power. I prefer the more restrained use of the force in the OT.

It's kind of a movie from 25 years ago with over the top plotting and Powers from comics. It's Marvel in space.

Rey is a Disney princess now, grandpops is royalty lol. What's funny is the other sequel trilogy is 1-3 bestsellers on Amazon atm lol.
And kylo is a prince via leia.

Rey and kylo are perfect for eachother. The prince and princess of cringe 😹

At the wedding of the force ghost and still flesh woman the bride's side of the wedding should throw salt and the groom side should throw sand.

I think that would be perfect ;)

Zardnaar

Legend
And kylo is a prince via leia.

Rey and kylo are perfect for eachother. The prince and princess of cringe 😹

At the wedding of the force ghost and still flesh woman the bride's side of the wedding should throw salt and the groom side should throw sand.

I think that would be perfect ;)

I kinda got with the Reyli crowd. Ben should have survived they just repeated the ending for RoTJ. After another trilogy we're basically back to where we started.

At least Reylo would be a different ending. Won't be to surprised if they retcon in a kid for Ben in a book or comic, worked for Palps.

I kinda got with the Reyli crowd. Ben should have survived they just repeated the ending for RoTJ. After another trilogy we're basically back to where we started.

At least Reylo would be a different ending. Won't be to surprised if they retcon in a kid for Ben in a book or comic, worked for Palps.
Well, kylo is basically a second generation descendant of a demigod of the force. He brought rey back to life with his lifeforce. I assume there will be a force conception coming up (just not quite as high grade as ani because it involved an actual person as opposed to purely and directly the force) due to him doing that. The true "rise of skywalker".

Or perhaps a reincarnation of ani (one that doesnt flub up his life as bad perhaps) thereby kylo REALLY "finishing what you started" (if he was speaking to anakin the will of the force made flesh as opposed to anakin grampappy) especially seeing as disney seems to be really into the very cheap and lazy strategy of "lets just bring people back randomnly and sell movies solely on nostalgia value"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads