Votes: 12 16.7%
  • ★ Terrible

Votes: 8 11.1%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm off to see this in approximately 24 hours. Can't wait! This is the spoiler thread -- keep all spoilers to this one.

lucasfilm-releases-a-cool-new-poster-for-star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-social.jpg

Last edited:

Posting this here in the spoiler section; I call this review the @Zardnaar wins (I kid, kinda):

Final paragraph of a pretty damning review:

"The Rise of Skywalker gives people what they go to Star Wars for, but that’s all it does—and worse, all it sets out to do. It’s frenzied, briefly infuriating, and eventually, grudgingly, satisfying, but it’s like being force-fed fandom: Your belly is filled, but there’s no pleasure in the meal. The movie feels like it’s part of the post–Last Jedi retrenchment, when Disney jerked the leash on Solo and killed plans for future spinoffs by insisting that filmmakers stick to the established playbook. It’s of a piece with the pointedly unambitious The Mandalorian, just good enough to get people’s attention but fundamentally terrified of rocking the boat. Rather than making a movie some people might love, Abrams tried to make a movie no one would hate, and as a result, you don’t feel much of anything at all."

Ugh. This is what I was afraid of. Oh well.
Yup, this about confirms my worst fears about this movie as well. A shame.

Aexalon

Explorer
We get these early in Belgium (all movies land on wednesdays).

Looking forward to seeing it again several times over the next few days with friends, colleagues and family.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I mean, for better worse all of the other threads have fallen off Page 1 or petered out, so this might as well be the "here is what people who have seen it think about it" thread moving forward.

FWIW, there are few critics whose opinions on Star Wars I trust more than Bob Chipman, and he's largely positive of the film and thinks that the narrative that RoS is in any way an "apology" for TLJ is pretty much bogus. And he was a huge defender of TLJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads