• ★★ Not Great

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • ★ Terrible

Votes: 8 11.1%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zardnaar

Legend
I mean, for better worse all of the other threads have fallen off Page 1 or petered out, so this might as well be the "here is what people who have seen it think about it" thread moving forward.

FWIW, there are few critics whose opinions on Star Wars I trust more than Bob Chipman, and he's largely positive of the film and thinks that the narrative that RoS is in any way an "apology" for TLJ is pretty much bogus. And he was a huge defender of TLJ.

Critic reviews are mixed. There's no I loved TLJ, RoS is terrible or I loved both movies or I hated TLJ loved Ross narrative you can spin. Critic opinions mean nothing for the most part anyway. They like art type indie films and historical dramas.

Mixed reviews IMHO are a good thing. When there's massive disconnects between the audience and critics it looks bad for the critics IMHO.

OMW to the theatre now, mate went to the midnight release, sleep is good though.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Critic reviews are mixed. There's no I loved TLJ, RoS is terrible or I loved both movies or I hated TLJ loved Ross narrative you can spin. Critic opinions mean nothing for the most part anyway. They like art type indie films and historical dramas.

I mean, that's a really limited and demeaning take on film critics, particularly in regards to Chipman, who is explicitly a film critic and a fan within the milieu of nerd culture.

Edit: Hope you enjoy the movie, though! I'm probably going to have to wait a few days :(

Zardnaar

Legend
Critic reviews are the worst of the new trilogy.

No, that's not really true. Let's take this common lie to the test!

So, for the MCU (through 2018), the worst five are:
The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, Thor 2, Ant-Man.

The top 5 are:
Black Panther, Iron Man, GoTG, Civil War, Ragnarok.

Fairly accurate. Similar to Rotten Tomatoes:

Naw. More likely, it means that you have a subset of toxic people loudly complaining and/or whining about a mythical Snyder cut.

Na it's also things like The Orville. Got 90%+ audience rating and 27%

If the movie is good or bad just determines how often I see it.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I mean, if we're not fulfilling the originally intended purpose of this thread we might as well turn it into a Dark City appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads