Rise of Tiamat - Intro

Envisioner

Explorer
In his extradimensional observatory, the mad mage Mordenkainen watches with bemusement as the corridors of space and time fold around Bannor, removing him temporarily from the Forgotten Realms. Nobody else notices the seam in reality appear or disappear, leaving no trace of the vanished monk's immediate presence in the minds of his former companions. They all remember him battling the chimera with them, but assume he must have wandered off at some point thereafter, without knowing or caring exactly where and when.

Ashur, Annaliese, Dumos and Robyn are left standing around in the forge of Ninuel Hartley, as he insists that his magical collar could not have failed in containing the chimera forever. "I'll be happy to show you the old papers that I used to perform my calculations, assuming any of you is sufficiently grounded in transmutational abjurantics to understand the symbology. Qwynneth predicted that she would subdue the creature, but first I had to prove that I could build a harness that would hold it in place for 'as long as necessary, no matter how long that might be', those were her exact words. And that's what I did, I crafted an enchantment into the steel which made it adapt instantaneously to the monster's own strength, so that nothing it could do would allow it to escape. Someone else must have deliberately freed it, but who on Toril would ever do such a thing?"

"I'm sorry we did not bring the collar with us," Ana says. "But the creature was missing its goat head and the neck of the lion head was snapped. The creature was flying free and there was no small game in the area. Did someone come along and free it? We don't know. And the creature is now dead. So I'm not sure it matters now."

Skarsgard

Explorer
Ashur nods in agreement. "Yes, the collar was a missed opportunity. There was that large group of people in the area. And someone did split off and go that way."

he turns to the mage. "In my experience, there is nothing that is inescapable or unbreakable. There is always a way. Perhaps it would be worth heading back to examine the chains?"

Envisioner

Explorer
"Sounds like a wise step to take. Perhaps I can also help find these others you seek. Sadly my skills do not extend to teleportation, but if you wish to hire horses from the town stable, you needn't provide one for me." The magewright turns to his first apprentice, a powerfully built young man with a shock of wild black hair, who is currently laboring upon a helmet adorned with bull horns (much of the work being done in the shop is likewise fanciful; this isn't your basic function-over-form rural blacksmithy, but a specialty store famous throughout the region). "Gantry! You're in charge until I show up and say otherwise." The young man looks startled for a second, then grateful, and finally nods without speaking.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
"Perhaps the chimera was deliberately freed. It may seem the work of insanity, but there has been plenty of that about lately. We just came from Westwater where they recently witnessed a fight between dragons that exposed a dragon cult operating within the town leadership. We may be seeing strange days ahead and that probably means strange deeds," Robyn suggests.
"I am curious to see this beast and the magical collar used to restrain it. Do you mind if I join you?"

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases