D&D 5E Ritual caster: can they create or use scrolls?

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Hello

In part for RP reasons, in part because our party really needs a ritual caster, I am considering taking the feat "ritual caster" for my fighter (yes, he qualifies).

But I was wondering... does that mean he could create scrolls? What about using them?

So to create a scroll, you must either:

• have the spell prepared OR
  • it must be among the character’s known spells (like a bard or warlock for example)

So clearly a ritual caster doesn't have spell prepared. And while they "know" spells in the sense that it's in their spellbook, they don't know it by heart the way say a sorcerer would. So I think that means a ritual caster can't create scrolls. But it doesn't quite feel right.

But can they use them?

This... gets complicated. The rules say "If the spell is on your class’s spell list, you can read the scroll and cast its spell without providing any material components. "

So a strict reading means that no, fighters can't use scrolls. But I note two aspects that make me less certain about this.

1: There are a lot of ways a caster can know a spell "not on their class list". What about domain spells, or a bard magical secret? What about a feat that makes you learn a new spells? If say you have the magical adept feat to learn the spell healing word, it would be very peculiar if you couldn't use a scroll of said spell, wouldn't it? It could mean that a light cleric can make a scroll of fireball, but can't use it.

2: Fighters have access to the wizard spell lists via one subclass

I look forward to your input on these questions.

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
My view also. I think a very strict reading of the rules would not allow it but I think I would allow it. You need to discuss with your DM.
Out of curiosity, why does your party need a ritual caster?
Lack of support. The party is made up of a monk, a fighter, a ranger, a paladin (due to the player's RL work, the paladin's attendance is very inconsistent) and a rogue/sorcerer. Rolepplaying wise it makes sense too (the fighter is a scholar and knows more about magic than anyone else in the party... even though he can't cast a single spell)

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
1: There are a lot of ways a caster can know a spell "not on their class list". What about domain spells, or a bard magical secret? What about a feat that makes you learn a new spells? If say you have the magical adept feat to learn the spell healing word, it would be very peculiar if you couldn't use a scroll of said spell, wouldn't it? It could mean that a light cleric can make a scroll of fireball, but can't use it.

2: Fighters have access to the wizard spell lists via one subclass

My thoughts on these points:

1. Magical secrets spells "count as bard spells for you". A domain spell "is nonetheless a cleric spell for you". This wording indicates that the spell is on your list.

Magical adept is different, and I would not automatically assume that someone adept at casting a single first level spell cold use a scroll; in the same way I wouldn't let a racial spell give the ability to use scrolls.

2. If you have that subclass, then I'd be fine letting the character use scrolls. If they have chosen something else, or if they haven't chosen anything yet, then you can't.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Lack of support. The party is made up of a monk, a fighter, a ranger, a paladin (due to the player's RL work, the paladin's attendance is very inconsistent) and a rogue/sorcerer. Rolepplaying wise it makes sense too (the fighter is a scholar and knows more about magic than anyone else in the party... even though he can't cast a single spell)
Given those circumstances and I have run a campaign with a multiclassed sorcerer, I would it, probably definitely allow it if the fighter is proficient in Arcana. I would probably require arcana training but allow it in downtime. But, as I said this is very much in the gift of the DM.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
The best argument I can produce: The ritual caster can transcribe ritual spells into her book. For those spells, they should be able to use spells on scrolls with the ritual tag.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
This would make sense, but due to the particulars of the campaign the fighter is being reworked... into a rune knight.
As I said I would be inclined to allow the fighter to spend time and money to acquire proficiency in Arcana and once they take the Ritual Caster feat them allow the scribing of scrolls and using scrolls but only on spells they have in their book and only as rituals.

Remove ads