Ritual Magic systems?

d20Dwarf

Explorer
Hi,

Can anyone tell me some of the d20 books that had ritual magic systems in them? I don't care if they're settings, splatbooks, or whatnot, we're just looking for some systems to compare.

Thanks!

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Spellbound was solely dedicated to ritual magic. Relics & Rituals I has a ritual magic system, as does Secrets of Pact Magic. In both, ritual magic is fairly time consuming, though anything less arguably wouldn't be ritual magic.

Last edited:

Aus_Snow

First Post
Apart from those things mentioned. . .

Occult Lore, under 'Sympathetic Magic'.

The Thieves' World Player's Manual has 'ritualcasting', which is basically just an extension of spellcasting. Mind you, spellcasting itself is a bit different there, too.

The Medieval Player's Manual, under 'Theurgy'.

Elements of Magic: Mythic Earth allows for rituals, IIRC.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
If you're not adverse to looking further back than 3x, there was an excellent RoleAids box set called Arch-Magic produced for AD&D that includes rules for powerful ritual magic (the likes of which evil sorcerers in Conan stories would likely indulge in).

rgard

Adventurer
jdrakeh said:
If you're not adverse to looking further back than 3x, there was an excellent RoleAids box set called Arch-Magic produced for AD&D that includes rules for powerful ritual magic (the likes of which evil sorcerers in Conan stories would likely indulge in).

Yes, that one is a gem. Mine's buried in an RPG box somewhere in the basement or storage facility.

There were some ritual magic rules in the Thieve's World Player's Manual by Green Ronin. They're tied pretty heavily to the magic system used in the book, but could be adapted or used as a starting point for your own rules easily.

Remove ads